What's everyone working on?

I'm still chugging along with the puzzle house. It's hard to finish a project when my work time is five minutes here and there between taking care of the kids. Once in a while I have an evening to work on it, and I get inspired again. :)

• Like 2

My little pit BBQ vignette for my brother is not coming along as quickly as it should-I've had some sort of allergy or something causing redness and discomfort in my left eye,so it's hard to focus right now. Still,I will plug along if I want to get it done by Sunday!

Debra,I love viewing your steampunk ventures-so cute!

Kat, we're you by chance working with super glue? The least little bit of that anywhere near your eye can cause those symptoms. I had it happen years ago and was lucky that I went to a doctor. He gave me antibiotics for it. If you were working with something like that see a doctor right away!

No,Casey,I think this is related to my yard work-there's so much stuff out there that I could have touched and then rubbed my eye...but thanx for the warning-Bless your heart-ouch!

And,Roxy,if you mean me,I sure hope I get faster at mini making!!LOL

Since I couldn't really concentrate on my project,I cleaned out some of my miniature 'stuff'. Threw away tons of cardboard I didn't realize I had-a usual No-No for me because it feeds roaches and I sure don't want any!lol I also 'found' lots of good stuff I had 'lost'. :) If the eye is still red tomorrow I'll see if I can get to a doctor.

• Like 2

I definitely would see a doctor with that Kat, never take risks with your eyes!!

I am suffering from immense frustration. When I put my Fairfield together without instructions I must have put it together not quite straight, it looks ok but is slightly "out", this is ok for the lower half but trying to get the roof and tower roof on is a nightmare!! Those couple of mls make all the difference. I have been filing, glueing and forcing wood like a mad person. I was up until midnight trying to make it all fit. I'm going mad people.

• Like 1

Not exactly related to my usual work, but I think I got the dollhouse bug from you guys, so I finally managed to put together a table for my proxxon router. I'll mainly use it to make trims and some furniture for my roombox :D

Yes I started a roombox, I'm in the gathering stage, bought a large picture frame to use for the front view, cut some oak strips for the floors, still waiting to buy a mini circular saw to cut them to size. Not 100% sure but I think the theme will be a gentleman's trophy room, like the one I imagined Jules Verne's heroes would have at home. Something like this: http://st.houzz.com/simgs/abf1cd92012e7f58_4-1760/traditional-home-office.jpg but more 19th century British.

Anyway here's the router table and the first piece I made on it, the base for the black squirrel:

11.jpg

3.jpg

It does the job pretty well, but it still needs some improvements, like a precise height control, with a screw, since now the height is adjusted by hand. And a vertical bearing for the round pieces. But I'm sure you ladies would love to hear more about that so I'll stop here :)

• Like 3

Congrats on the tools and your first cut. Looks good.

Love the room box idea as well. Sharp.

As to power tools - my favorite is my band saw. If I had a scroll saw, I might use that more than the band saw but they work very much the same. I use my jig saw quite a bit too and drills of course. I love to wander around the power tool departments and dream of having all of them. Not greedy here, I just want to use them all.

• Like 1

Doing a happy dance over here whilst petting the freshly cut plywood pieces that will form the base for my lighthouse. Adding an extra storey as I will includ a basement for it, a wine cellar setting :) Edges sanded, so can sort of start the top layer while pondering the cellar structure..

Hugs

I haven't been to this thread in a while. POWER TOOLS!! Omg. I skip the mall and hit the tool store. I have every man's (and many women's) dream workshop. I don't share well. I would like to go play at Steve's house, that is an interesting tool.

Anna, your lighthouse is so cool. I can't wait to see the basement! Since they are often built on rocks, it would be cool if you had one sticking through the wall or up from the floor with a story that if you can't beat them join them and build around them. :)

• Like 2

power tools ????? my spouse found a micro lux mini scroll saw on line. I am intimidated by power tools, best I have done so far is the Dremil. I would love that little scroll saw but..........$$$$$ it's to pricy for me right now. has any of you experienced builders used one? is it worth the investment?

• Like 1

I haven't been to this thread in a while. POWER TOOLS!! Omg. I skip the mall and hit the tool store. I have every man's (and many women's) dream workshop. I don't share well. I would like to go play at Steve's house, that is an interesting tool.

Anna, your lighthouse is so cool. I can't wait to see the basement! Since they are often built on rocks, it would be cool if you had one sticking through the wall or up from the floor with a story that if you can't beat them join them and build around them. :)

Power tools, me like ;) and often we have "his" and "her" set since I need the ones with smaller grip...

Very usefull when working on stuff shoulder to shoulder as well as we tend to do when renovating this house of ours...

Love the Idea of incorporating the stone into the interior! Need to ponder about it for a while, will use "some" paper clay for this part of the project.

Hugs

• Like 1

Anyway here's the router table and the first piece I made on it, the base for the black squirrel:

11.jpg

Superb piece of work. Looking at the countersinking that's not your first metal job I suspect. Very inspirational.

Cheers

• Like 1

Halfway finished two fireplace panels and the final coat of paint on the room box. Working on a third panel now... - pics are in the gallery.

Continuing my homemade powertools adventures with an epic fail table saw:

It's build from scratch from pretty much junk. I only had the blade, I hand shaped the shaft for it from a screw and some aluminum scraps using the rotary tool as a lathe. I used a drill bit as the cutting tool for the "lathe". Despite all that, it turned out great, it runs smooth, no vibrations, the blade is square to the table, the table is solid, it can be clamped to the workbench, it could have an enclosure under the table for dust control, the tool sled is from the router table, so I can change it fast between them.

All in all a wonderful tool except one thing: IT DOES NOT CUT WOOD!

The major failure is a combination of the underpowered Proxxon tool and the HSS blade that was designed for metal so it does not have kerfed teeth and gets stuck in the wood after half an inch or so. So it's pretty much useless :lol:

On the bright side of woodworking experiments, yesterday I tried my first cabliole legs, using George the Miniguy's tutorials and, even though they are not finished yet, I'm happy with the way they turned out. I hope one day I'll make a table to go with them, if I manage to get the saw running.

• Like 1

Wow what a lot of work! It looks cool. Your legs are great too (hm-m-m? that doesn't sound quite right ...) Anyways, can't wait for the tabletop.

• Like 1

"great legs" LOL

I've been busy planting flowers this past week - something I haven't done very much in the past several years! But this year we are hosting my son's rehearsal dinner in our backyard, so its gotta look nice! :D So far, so good! Next week I will start on all of the potted arrangements. whew! All I gotta say is that it had better not rain!!

Taking a break from planting this week since I've got to work on the rehearsal dinner invitations! Didn't feel like spending a small fortune on something from etsy, so I just created my own! The bride approved, so tonite I will get those finished up before I get to play with the Ellwanger House again.

I started work on the 3rd floor- taking down the wallpapers and ripping out the old, falling-apart wood floors. Most of the flooring came out with no problem, but the master bedroom flooring was glued down with who-knows-what! The wood came up with no problem, but the paper backing stayed stuck to the floor! argh! It eventually succumbed to my spray bottle and scraper, but the hands and elbows are achin' today.

The client gave me free reign on the interior design, so I am kinda doing a little happy jig in anticipation! :banana: