What's everyone working on?

Casey, the Brimbles would make a wonderful Steampunk Emporium! I think you should definitely tell Zar so he can start making plans. Just tell him to keep it in the secret room so Tessie doesn't hear :giggle:

Deb, my DH actually did put some stuff in his drawer :banana: I forgot to mention that as he gets stuff in it, I am quickly moving into his vacated spaces. I should have most of the closet under the stairs, a doughbox table, and another half desk ready for me to fill very soon. He was laughing out loud when I read him your post!

• Like 1

I have seen this lamp/chandelier on Ebay and were wondering if anyone around here knows a little bit more about it?

Tried contacting the seller but so far no response and since i do not know size etc it might or might not work for the intended room...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It being white and the style looks like it could work well in the scene but then again it might be a bit "plastic" and it isn't on thecheap side butmight be worth it so to speak.

Hugs

Anna, you can always paint over it if you don't like the colors or to make it look more like metal using paints. I've don't it several times because I didn't want the good brass look. It comes out nice too. Here is a picture of a couple I completed this year

post-4-0-35520500-1396184214_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OMG Casey, the Brimbles would be the perfect steampunk emporium! There's so much space inside and you could make so many delightful machines to go in it in addition to selling barrels and bins of "components" kind of like a steampunk hardware store. A trip to Radio Shack could fill half a dozen mini crates with all sorts of fascinating parts for the aspiring scientist and Zar's Emporium would be where all the tiny steampunkers go to shop. I can just see little shopping bags with the store logo on them displayed in steampunker's dollhouses everywhere. Oh, and I was going to tell you and Stacey to check and see if there is a Colpar Hobby near you...or a store similar to it that specializes in trains and RC planes/cars. We had a brick and mortar Colpar in Denver and in the miscellaneous parts and tools section, they used to carry half pound bags of assorted sizes and widths of copper, aluminum, and brass tubing. The lengths ranged from half an inch to eight inches and the widths from two inches to thin enough to bend. Yep, you can see the potential in a bag full of metal bits and pieces like that and it was only eight bucks. It's a long shot to see if they carry it online but I thought I'd mention it in case you have access to a similar type of hobby store.

Holly, the Willowcrest would be a very amazing steampunk house, especially with the Second Empire look. Victorian is a major part of steampunk, but so is futuristic/sci-fi so a bash between a Brookwood and one of the larger victorian houses could yield some very interesting results.

Debra and Selkie,, c'mere. :bop::bop: No pictures!!!! :photo: hehehehehehehehe That dress was for a Halloween costume years ago and I even had a baby Derringer tucked into my garter belt. Bruce dressed as a cowboy and we were quite the pair. But the dress is of the perfect era and style to be 'punked out perfectly.

Sarah, that's just too funny about the way you're shuffling storage around to get the prime real estate. Good girl!!!!! I'm taking notes here because that's just an elegant and subtle way of doing it. :worthy:

Tracy, I love the way that light fixture looks. It completely changes the whole tone of the piece. Excellent idea! :idea: I've used dozens of those fixtures and never pictured it in that light before.

Deb

Deb, I have been into Steampunk for a number of years. Walter used to bring home "trash" from the electronics place where he worked...I have a good start. I will have to think of another name though. Have you ever been to the online "Steampunk Emporium"? That was what I was referring to, when I mentioned it. http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ge)+branded&utm_content=steampunk+emporium&utm_term=steampunk%20emporium%20site. Fun place to visit. Mostly clothes and accessories though. Good for ideas.

Anna, Mountain Miniatures has a brief description of the light fixture. If you google Mountain Miniatures and put in MH 1051 in the search box, it should bring it up. The fixture has six arms and is made of metal. Didn't say what the frosted globes are made of.

Deb, I have been into Steampunk for a number of years. Walter used to bring home "trash" from the electronics place where he worked...I have a good start. I will have to think of another name though. Have you ever been to the online "Steampunk Emporium"? That was what I was referring to, when I mentioned it. http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ge)+branded&utm_content=steampunk+emporium&utm_term=steampunk%20emporium%20site. Fun place to visit. Mostly clothes and accessories though. Good for ideas.

Oh lordy Casey, I know you and Zar will come up with an appropriately steampunk name for his Emporium....I just used his name and the type of store for lack of a better description. Sometimes I think naming steampunk stuff is half the fun and for some reason, I always hear the voice of Marvin the Martian when I read a steampunk name or title. LOL! On the other hand, maybe Marvin was just ahead of his time and was already doing steampunk way back then. Speaking of ray guns, I'll have to see if I can find the bookmark for one of my fave steampunk artisans who specializes in wedding cake toppers. There's some serious mini inspiration in his work, especially his brush techniques.

Deb

Deb, and all Steampunkers, have you ever been to this pinterest board? http://www.pinterest.com/kakuseisha/steampunk/ Kakuseisha has over a thousand photos of great Steampunk ideas in her collection, including some whole wedding cakes.

There is also a Steampunk "mobile home" towards the end that literally looks like a Victorian house on wheels. It is real and travels around the country to conventions. Here's the website for "Neverwas Haul" if you would like to rent it. http://www.obtainiumworks.net/neverwas-haul/ That's the one that I would really like to have in mini. Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of the page for more photos!

She also has a LOT of minis bookmarked too. She has some of mine. That's how I found her in the first place. If you want to see those, just click on her name at the top left of the page. That will take you to her categories page... Be prepared to spend some time there. She must spend all day, every day collecting photos!

• Like 1

I like the fireplace Emily!

I haven't been doing much over the weekend. I was all happy about getting the roof glued onto the Sugar Plum and then I discovered that I hadn't stuck the chimney through the slot in the roof. So I pried off the back roof and I will have to redo that whole thing. At least I hadn't started to shingle yet!

I have seen this lamp/chandelier on Ebay and were wondering if anyone around here knows a little bit more about it?

Tried contacting the seller but so far no response and since i do not know size etc it might or might not work for the intended room...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It being white and the style looks like it could work well in the scene but then again it might be a bit "plastic" and it isn't on thecheap side butmight be worth it so to speak.

Hugs

Have you tried contacting the owner, Anna? In most cases I believe you can ask questions before committing yourself to a a purchase on eBay.

Deb, and all Steampunkers, have you ever been to this pinterest board? http://www.pinterest.com/kakuseisha/steampunk/ Kakuseisha has over a thousand photos of great Steampunk ideas in her collection, including some whole wedding cakes.

There is also a Steampunk "mobile home" towards the end that literally looks like a Victorian house on wheels. It is real and travels around the country to conventions. Here's the website for "Neverwas Haul" if you would like to rent it. http://www.obtainiumworks.net/neverwas-haul/ That's the one that I would really like to have in mini. Be sure to check out the links at the bottom of the page for more photos!

She also has a LOT of minis bookmarked too. She has some of mine. That's how I found her in the first place. If you want to see those, just click on her name at the top left of the page. That will take you to her categories page... Be prepared to spend some time there. She must spend all day, every day collecting photos!

Casey, thanks for these links! I've had the steampunk house in my inspiration folder for more than a year for a future build :) and the other link is a steampunk gold mine! :thankyou:

I'm crocheting in mini again.

What size hook do you use ? And do you use embroidery thread, all six strands or split ? I'm just full of questions :) Oh and one more , does embroidery thread shrink ? Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Slowly getting back to minis after a long hiatus. Actually doing two projects - one is building on the Collectibles Cabinet (from Real Good Toy's Build-Along project), and then working on my first 3/4 scale dollhouse called the ARC (got it from Etsy).

Alternating between the two of them -- the Build Along, I'm cutting up egg cartons to make bricks and stones (and holy smokes, it's taking forever!). The ARC dollhouse I'm about to start putting some LED lights...which is now on hold because my power drill is broken (and my husband won't let me borrow his!) :bomb:

Ooo,Roxy and Stacey, I got a little confused there on who posted what about their fireplaces recently,but now I see it was Jackie,Emily,and Sarah. All cool works! I'm sick with a cold and sore throat,so I'm not doing anything hands on,but trying to decide what my fireplace will be for the beach house Orchid...maybe even a little modern heater/fireplace 'stove' thing instead...Will go look for a photo of what I mean...

What size hook do you use ? And do you use embroidery thread, all six strands or split ? I'm just full of questions :) Oh and one more , does embroidery thread shrink ? Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Depends on what scale and whether I want it to look like 4-ply, rug yarn, or doilies. For a 4-ply yarn look I go with a single strand of embroidery floss (cotton) and a size 10-12 steel hook; for a thicker yarn I like crochet or tatting thread and I might go as large as size 8 steel hook. For lacy things like doilies, tablecloths and curtains I like sewing thread and a size 14 hook; and for 1:24 I have a size 16 hook, but I have to use a loupe.

• Like 1

Depends on what scale and whether I want it to look like 4-ply, rug yarn, or doilies. For a 4-ply yarn look I go with a single strand of embroidery floss (cotton) and a size 10-12 steel hook; for a thicker yarn I like crochet or tatting thread and I might go as large as size 8 steel hook. For lacy things like doilies, tablecloths and curtains I like sewing thread and a size 14 hook; and for 1:24 I have a size 16 hook, but I have to use a loupe.

The throw you did for Minis Over The Hill looks lovely :wub:

This is blurry, but that is a dime, single strand of embroidery thread and a size 14 needle. I have made doilies with regular sewing thread. I wear those 2.75 magnifying glasses and good light.

Casey, you can get size 16 online. Etsy, ebay. Just make sure you see a pic of it as some of them I saw were not 16 even though the seller said they were.

post-1142-0-27107200-1396224598_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Holly, I have some antique hooks with no numbers that just might be 16s. I had never seen any that were marked with any number larger than 14, so I just assumed that they were oddball 14s. They are the ones that I use with mercerized cotton and silk. I don't use any of the modern thread. Stuff with synthetics in them don't play well with crochet hooks. Thanks for the information.