What's everyone working on?

Agatha and Agnes are talking......Agatha wants the Pierce, Agnes is interested in the townhouse or even just a room. She's been living in a crowded drawar for a while.

They are bigger than 1/12 scale.... I havent tried sitting them on a chair or anything yet to see the size difference, if there is any.

Kellee

I believe a lot of this furniture is half scale.!!!!!! It would work for a child's room, small chairs and so forth..... Tables are smaller than my 1" stuff. Problem is I have no half scale houses..... And have no idea where to start with building one, would all have to be from scratch.

I need a couple hundred boxes..... To organize all this stuff. Wish I had a friend that loved shoes !!!

Kellee

I have been fooling around finding scrapbook paper that will work in half scale and trying to stain the floor. Its coming out a little lighter but I think it will look nice with colorful rugs.

A lot of painting to do but I couldn't get motivated to take out the paint today! ha

Hinging Doors !!! Yuck !!!

Well, I searched the forum and even asked a few members how they do these, hopefully someone can give me a better idea than what I have.lol. I am going to use ribbon to hinge the doors. The only problem is they are not 2 pieces so I can't put the ribbon in between and they are the rounded top doors. I don't have any trim in the houses at this point and wasn't sure I was going to do any. Unfortunatly I will have to do trim around the door and baseboards now. And on the door itself. Ugh, this is what I was afraid of. The houses are for sale. The potential buyer wants them for a very cheap price, I can do that now, but if I have to buy trim and baseboards its going to go up. I know she won't be happy with the price with those add ons. But she wants the door hinged. Any good ideas?

I gave away the Whitney, but "hinged" the doors with a THIN strip of Silver duct tape. As long as you open them gently (not gorilla girls) they work pretty good. He can always fix it later if the tape gives out. Heck he got it for FREE. He has the most (other than MINE) adorable granddaughter. I also used the silver tape on the chicken house. It's holding up SO SO, but I glued it down and now it's working good until I can find a MINI piano hinge.

...I also used the silver tape ...on the chicken house. It's holding up SO SO, ...until I can find a MINI piano hinge.

I have sought mini piano hinges in vain. That's why I'm pinhinging all of Washington's doors.

• Like 1

Kelly, why ribbon? If using ribbon requires adding trim to hide it, then maybe regular hinges or pin hinges would be a better solution?

I actually have hinges on the brain myself right now. I had a perfectly nice Houseworks door for my Gull Bay, which is a house that's in two pieces that slide together so it's completely enclosed. The house is almost finished now and I've started to realize exactly what you can and can't see through the windows. I started thinking that my front door should have a window in it to give a better view of the inside of the house. Plus the Houseworks door is hinged on the right which provides an obstructed view (it would be better hinged on the left since then it opens against a wall, rather than opening right into the room).

So I started thinking about how I could bash a door with a window into the door frame I already have (which is a modified Victorian door frame, I like it). The oval Houseworks door is not the same size as the standard door so I couldn't just swap in one of those. I happened to have a Grandt line door sitting around that I pulled off another house and it fit inside the Houseworks frame almost perfectly.

post-7-0-55042800-1403203630_thumb.jpg

It has nubs for pin hinging, on the left of the door, exactly what I wanted! But I wasn't sure I could make new holes for those nubs without messing up the door frame, so decided to sand them off and hinge the door instead. Since you can only see inside the house at certain angles through the windows, using Tyvek or ribbon is actually a good option for me since it won't be staring you in the face. But I like to make things difficult for myself, so I think I'm going to use hinges instead.

I have a pair of these that look like they'll fit both on the door and the frame but I'm going to head to the mini shop and see if there are better options. (This is half scale, but as far as I know there's no such thing as half scale hinges.) Even though the hinges won't be very visible I don't want them to be bulkier than necessary.

Since this is a plastic door, using it means losing the nice blue/gray stain. I'm thinking about adding some sort of wooden embellishment to the panel under the window (maybe this, which would just fit). What do you guys think of the blue door vs. the white door with the window?

post-7-0-79083100-1403203921_thumb.jpg post-7-0-35211200-1403203628_thumb.jpg

ps When did hinges get so expensive?! My local mini shop has the brass butt hinges for $2.50 (compared to Miniatures.com's $7.15) and the triangle hinges for $1.95 (compared to $5.36). It might be old stock but still, that's quite a price hike!

That bad boy was NOT meant to come off. gonna take time and a good pry bar. or a cheaper glass case

It's not that bad. Just pry open each of the little tabs (marked with red arrow) holding it in place.

post-1012-0-02078200-1403203974_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Casey, he is just gorgeous!

I am starting a present for my MIL's birthday. I won a 1/4 scale house on ebay recently; it's an older kit with not too much detail. I thought it would be fun to turn it into a modified "putz" house for her mantle. No furniture or interior decorations, but I may do a hole in the bottom for a battery light.

• Like 1

I don't think that would work for me, Deb. Walter would defend himself with one of his golf clubs!LOL

ROFL!!! That's a good enough incentive to put away the stick and get out the ear plugs. Fortunately Bruce doesn't snore but my ex did and I was never sure if it annoyed me or if I was grateful for an excuse to poke him with a stick. <snicker>

Sarah, I love your idea for your MIL's birthday gift! It's a fun way for you to get to build another house and she gets to find a place to display it. That's a win-win! The battery light in the bottom is a great idea.

• Like 1

DH has always snored. When it gets too loud I slide my hand under his near shoulder and gently roll him onto his side facing away from me, so I don't hear it. Otherwise, I hit the sofa (I have always been extremely picky that any sofas in our house be good sleep surfaces!).

• Like 1

Have added the wheels under the base for the lighthouse, now to saw of the corners on one piece that will go under the front stairs and then the basic shape is done for the basement/cellar and I can start the fun in claying the whole interior :wub: great way to start four weeks of vacation!!!

Hugs

• Like 2

finally made myself sit in my (WAS) clean and organised work room and completed a Micheals hutch for a friend of mine

I think it turned out well considering I havent really messed with my minis in awhile now!

you will have to search it out in the gallery...still lost on how to get the photos to posts

:batman:

• Like 2