What's everyone working on?

After almost a month working on the ducks order I finally have time to work on my regular minis. First thing was to complete a Ragdoll cat I've been working on before the commission. Here are a few pictures of the finished cat.

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpg

Now I'm starting on a pair of wolves, by far the largest animals I've tried, and I've been starring at a sketch for 2 hours now not knowing where to start. They are just huge, the head of one is almost as large as the cats I usually make. I have to use some sort of wire structure and filling for the interior or the thick clay will never bake.

Between the bits I've been catching up on my reading, here on the forum and on some wonderful user blogs.

Steve I love your animals. When I saw the Bichon as your avatar I thought like so many of us here that you used a picture of a pet. But seeing that it's one of your creations is fantastic. LOVE the ducks! I got a little chicken with real feathers not too long ago, and those ducks would be a nice addition to my little backyard setting. Fabulous work!

• Like 1

I'm now reading this all again. I must admit, I too thought Steve's avatar was a real dog! I get ooak's. I collect baby doll/babies that are more playscale and have an incredible monkey. I feel very honored to belong to a forum with such talented people as you, Steve. Fantastic work!

• Like 3

I am leaving this morning to take 16 children camping for 3 days. I have the vintage furniture kit I bought a few months ago, sand paper, glue, stain, a brush, and some little clamps packed so I can work on that when during minutes when I have a little quite time at base camp.

• Like 1

I am leaving this morning to take 16 children camping for 3 days. I have the vintage furniture kit I bought a few months ago, sand paper, glue, stain, a brush, and some little clamps packed so I can work on that when during minutes when I have a little quite time at base camp.

Hope you have good weather!

• Like 1

Hope you have good weather!

Oh, so do I! A weekago Friday night we were at Cheaha State Park and when we woke up Saturday AM the lower campground had been flooded and everything washed away, including one of the camper's car; everyone was rescued by boat and ambulance, including the dog that had been in the car that washed away.

• Like 1

@morgansmith Thanks for the tips! I've used tin foil, like Holly suggested and it did the trick. I remember seeing the newspaper trick on a blog a while ago used to make a hollowed tree trunk. Also thanks for the compliments, you are very generous!

@ravenswing Thanks! The bichon was the first miniature animal I ever made and it's still close to my heart, that's why I use it as my avatar picture.

@Chris P. I hope you have fun on your trip!

@Holly Quite an adventure!

• Like 2

Just finished Skull mountain and now am landscaping Miss Pixie's place....

looking forward to Monday when all 5 furniture kits show up and I can get started on those!!

not painting or Varnishing them...leaving that all to Miss Pixie Poo.....

spring fling is up next..... :banana:

just made a Gallery for these two projects....they are both finished for now

waiting for Grankids to give me ideas and help!! :bear:

I burned up the last of this year's vacation this week, and worked on the Gnome Home. Working in the round has posed some challenges--windows, doors, etc. go in very oddly. Loved learning about the egg carton stonework, and hope to make the kitchen sink and a cupboard today.

• Like 1

Did you curve your windows and door trims?

The curve isn't huge, so they are slightly arced. Flatter on the inside which made putting curtain rods up easier. The window box took some juggling between the arc and the egg carton stones. It's been outside my comfort zone, for sure!

Does anyone know what the official name is for the cord or tapestry pull that you often find in Victorian houses? There's a bell on one end that can usually be found either in the kitchen or the servant's quarters.

Does anyone know what the official name is for the cord or tapestry pull that you often find in Victorian houses? There's a bell on one end that can usually be found either in the kitchen or the servant's quarters.

They are Victorian bell pulls, used for calling maids or hired help in the home. Think that might be a precursor to what I refer to at home as the "maid buzzer" The buzzer in invarious spots in the house will create a different set of numbers in a mounted box in the kitchen. It was to let staff know where to go i.e. dining room, front door etc. Our dogs love sitting on the one under the dining room table! Although the number system doesn't work anymore, kept it as a neat part of house's history.

• Like 2

Nonworking bellpulls are used for decoration. One of my first original designs was a design of monarch butterflies I adapted from a photo in National Geographic and made up in needlepoint for my MIL. For a while wearing butterfly pins was a fad and later she pinned her collection on the bellpull.

• Like 1

Thanks Janet. After I posted the question I went out on the net and found the answer (guess I should have done that first huh?) Felt reallllly dumb, considering that I had both the words "bell" and "pull" in my question. Can we all say 'Well Duh!"

• Like 2

Wallpapered two rooms in the Queen Anne Rowhouse this weekend, and added crown molding to the hallway. It's looking good! Unfortunately it's really hard to get good pictures due to the funky shaped rooms, so you guys will have to take my word for it...

• Like 1

I actually got some mini work in. Did some more prepping of interior and exterior trim pieces for my half scale Rosedale, and some further assembly planning for the SF. It's so nice to have some time (and energy) to work on minis! :D

Been only able to get on here a few minutes a day. Real life can really be difficult at times. I have not worked on my RGT build-along for about a month. Looking forward to getting back at it today!

• Like 1

More work on the San Fran rehab this weekend. Things did not go too well....lots of colorful words... then decided that since I was getting too frustrated it was time to step away. Yeah, shortly thereafter I realized why things were not going well....I was on the verge of getting ill. :/ Sore throat, aching...yuk. We'll just have to wait a few days....

Hope u feel better soon,Jackie! I know what u mean about RL,Patricia.I haven't made any progress on my pizza parlor-still researching stucco finishes on the net and here and in magazines and trying to pin down the color scheme.Have to be sure of paint colors,as my funds are very low right now.But,I have It sitting right there,taped together in dry fit mode and I am falling so in love with the idea of what It will be one day,at my hands.Does that make sense,or sound weird?

• Like 2

Yea! Got one of my orders today from China so I'll be finishing up my chicken coop today. Then I can move on to a new project for the house. Haven't decided which one it will be yet. Oops! I tell a lie. I forgot the mirror came for the "over mantle" on the piano, so I guess that's my next task - converting the piano.

• Like 1