What's everyone working on?

I'm making some progress on my micro Georgian Townhouse. I continue to be impressed with the quality of this kit! My LED lights arrived already so will soon be figuring out just how to get them in place. More in my Greenleaf Blog ...

Liked reading your blog about your build! Can really picture what you're doing.

• Like 2

Working on a very large window/plate glass effect for SF.

Fingers crossed that the idea actually flies. It's a little iffy right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for what the thickness of the acetate or plastic should be to hold it stiff and firm over such a large area.

Think - grocery store front window size - and no, I'm not making a store.

The stuff that comes in the kits is very floppy when you try to use it in a window much larger than a regular pane size.

I'm thinking that I'll need some sort of supports in a couple places to hold it steady enough.

Also, where would you get whatever you might suggest.

What about going to a bakery and getting a disposable cake cover? Bet they'd sell you one you could cut apart.

• Like 1

Anyone have any suggestions for what the thickness of the acetate or plastic should be to hold it stiff and firm over such a large area.

The stuff that comes in the kits is very floppy when you try to use it in a window much larger than a regular pane size.

I'm thinking that I'll need some sort of supports in a couple places to hold it steady enough.

I have used plastic sheets manufactured by K&S Engineering. The sheets are @ 81/2x11. They come in 3 different thicknesses- .010, .015, and .030. I have used the .015. HobbyLobby has it online in the .015 and .030. Many craft sites also carry it.

spent a good few hours working on my SF yesterday. Looks like i didn't do anything. you would think working small would go faster than working in real life scale... oh well i can officially call one whole interior wall from the base kit complete.

Thanks so much to you all for your advice.

What about going to a bakery and getting a disposable cake cover? Bet they'd sell you one you could cut apart.

My only concern with that type of plastic is that the plastic wouldn't stay rigid enough over a large expanse of area with no supports. I'm looking at quite an area that, in an ideal world, would be totally clear of obstructions to the view. I have a feeling that it's not going to work exactly as I'm imagining it will anyway, but I want to give it the old college try.

I have used plastic sheets manufactured by K&S Engineering. The sheets are @ 81/2x11. They come in 3 different thicknesses- .010, .015, and .030. I have used the .015. HobbyLobby has it online in the .015 and .030. Many craft sites also carry it.

Sorry to sound stupid but numbers like these often trip me up. In this case is the larger number (.03) indicating the increased thickness? One of the disadvantages of shopping online is that you can't "feel" it to tell what you are buying. I live way out in the sticks so online purchasing is something I do a lot of since the boondocks don't carry many minis.

I decided to dress up the door and window trim a bit, copying the design of the window pediments in my own dining room (which my father came up with when he helped us redo the dining room last year).

rowhouse275.jpg

Wow !! Love your woodwork. I'm a fool for wood and keeping it looking like wood.

Are you considering hiring yourself out to all of us now?

How big is the window?

Thanks so much to you all for your advice.

My only concern with that type of plastic is that the plastic wouldn't stay rigid enough over a large expanse of area with no supports. I'm looking at quite an area that, in an ideal world, would be totally clear of obstructions to the view. I have a feeling that it's not going to work exactly as I'm imagining it will anyway, but I want to give it the old college try.

Sorry to sound stupid but numbers like these often trip me up. In this case is the larger number (.03) indicating the increased thickness? One of the disadvantages of shopping online is that you can't "feel" it to tell what you are buying. I live way out in the sticks so online purchasing is something I do a lot of since the boondocks don't carry many minis.

Have trouble with it too! .030 is thicker. Miniature Designs carries the .030. They also have a toll free number. Maybe you could ask and give more specifics.

I think 2 sheets (9x12) were @ 4.50. I'm sure there are other sites as well with DIY supplies that carry this that you could call.

Have trouble with it too! .030 is thicker. Miniature Designs carries the .030. They also have a toll free number. Maybe you could ask and give more specifics.

I think 2 sheets (9x12) were @ 4.50. I'm sure there are other sites as well with DIY supplies that carry this that you could call.

I have the .30 that I bought from Miniature Designs. Wish you were closer so you could feel it! :) And it is correct that it is $4.50 for 2 sheets.

It feels pretty strong, it would definitely hold up over a large area. But it is thicker than regular dollhouse window plastic. I just held a credit card up to it, and it's that thickness, to maybe give you an idea. It's probably about the same as what is in Houseworks windows.

I bought it to make stained glass windows with, it's what Barbara Sabia uses. It says on the package it can be used for windows.

How big is the window?

My dream size is 9" x 10" with absolutely no support obstructions.

I'm concerned that the usual thin acetate type plastic won't be rigid enough to stay tight and straight.

I don't want to be too thick so it throws off the scale either.

My back up plan is to put a support 1/3 of the way into it from one side.

Aesthetically that would work but just not my 1st choice.

Can't show you cuz it's part of my SF ideas.

... Miniature Designs carries the .030.

... I have the .30 that I bought from Miniature Designs.

Bless you both for directing me to this miniature site. I've never heard of it before and they have several items that I've been hunting all over the place for. You have, unknowingly, solved several problems for me. Thanks SO much.

My dream size is 9" x 10" with absolutely no support obstructions.

I'm concerned that the usual thin acetate type plastic won't be rigid enough to stay tight and straight.

I don't want to be too thick so it throws off the scale either.

My back up plan is to put a support 1/3 of the way into it from one side.

Aesthetically that would work but just not my 1st choice.

Can't show you cuz it's part of my SF ideas.

I would use plexiglas. The piece I have is 1/8" thick and crystal clear. Once in place, the thickness would not be an issue. And if it is well framed, it would not need reinforcement. I am not participating in the SF contest. If you'd like to PM me with a photo, I'd be happy to advise.

=====

I just looked at the .03" plastic window sheets at Miniature Designs. According to the conversion charts posted in another link, .0313" = 1/32". I think they would be perfectly in scale for regular sized windows.

But a window that is 9' x 10' in real life would have heavier safety glass in it, so the plexiglas would still be my first choice.

Edited by KathieB

But a window that is 9' x 10' in real life would have heavier safety glass in it, so the plexiglas would still be my first choice.

Thanks so much.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

The thinner just didn't seem like it would be quite right for such a large expanse.

Would it be out of place to use the thinner in the regular windows and doors in the same application

as using the thicker with the large window? It would be like that in RL I think.

Anyone created a grand piano themselves?!? I think there is a printie of the piano keys but the rest of it is what stumps me so to speak... So if there is a how-to avaliable any where I would be most grateful for directions :)

Hugs

Bless you both for directing me to this miniature site. I've never heard of it before and they have several items that I've been hunting all over the place for. You have, unknowingly, solved several problems for me. Thanks SO much.

Miniature Designs is my local store. Everyone there is just awesome. They are super friendly and would be happy to help with any questions. So glad you found them and it will help you out!

I'm still working on my micro Georgian Townhouse, but I keep hearing noises from my SF! Feeling a bit neglected, I'm afraid.

So far on my micro builds they just quietly go together, sometimes as planned, sometimes with effort, but it's just a plain old house. This little fellow is different! He's actually speaking to me and telling me what he wants! Who knew the micro houses were like that too? :yikes:

• Like 3

I'm still working on my micro Georgian Townhouse, but I keep hearing noises from my SF! Feeling a bit neglected, I'm afraid.

So far on my micro builds they just quietly go together, sometimes as planned, sometimes with effort, but it's just a plain old house. This little fellow is different! He's actually speaking to me and telling me what he wants! Who knew the micro houses were like that too? :yikes:

Is it talking in a tiny little voice?

• Like 1

I am building the Garfield. So far I have the foundation and first floor completed. Today I build the staircases. This is my summer sanity project while the kids are home from school!

• Like 3

Yay! I got major work done on my Lily today and dry fit the shell and partitions. I had a really tough time getting the front wall in place, but once I was able to do that, everything else fell into place pretty easily. Now I can sit back and let her tell me what do do with the interior design. More pics and the story in my blog entry.

:type:

post-6356-0-58954400-1371675578_thumb.jp

• Like 2