What's everyone working on?

I'm working on the Willowcrest. Again. I originally built it 16 years ago! I kept being dissatisfied with it, and starting to make changes but never finishing them. I've redone the kitchen side bay extension three times! And then it got stored in my mother's basement until I moved across the country and reclaimed it before I left.

I'm trying to do it "RIGHT" this time, making all the changes that I always dreamed about. I mean, seriously, what's with that narrow porch? who finds a 3' deep front porch useful? Mine is now 7" and wide enough for a porch swing! And functional light switches. Yeah. I've torn out all the wallpaper and the wiring in anticipation of being able to flick the lights in each room on and off. I feel like I'm building my house in reverse at the moment, but that's nearly done and I'm excited about all of my decorating plans. 16 years ago I didn't have the advantages of seeing how other people built their Willowcrests, or the amazing resource of ideas that is Pinterest. And then I discovered the Greenleaf forums!

I'm hoping someone will stop me before I attempt to make functioning windows.

• Like 3

There are working windows you know. :) Houseworks makes them and so do some of the other manufacturers. You can find them on eBay fairly often at a good price if you are patient.

• Like 1

My dream size is 9" x 10" with absolutely no support obstructions.

I'm concerned that the usual thin acetate type plastic won't be rigid enough to stay tight and straight.

I don't want to be too thick so it throws off the scale either.

My back up plan is to put a support 1/3 of the way into it from one side.

Aesthetically that would work but just not my 1st choice.

Can't show you cuz it's part of my SF ideas.

That is HUGE!

Working on a very large window/plate glass effect for SF.

Fingers crossed that the idea actually flies. It's a little iffy right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for what the thickness of the acetate or plastic should be to hold it stiff and firm over such a large area.

Think - grocery store front window size - and no, I'm not making a store.

The stuff that comes in the kits is very floppy when you try to use it in a window much larger than a regular pane size.

I'm thinking that I'll need some sort of supports in a couple places to hold it steady enough.

Also, where would you get whatever you might suggest.

Hobby Lobby sells acetate sheets in many sizes, and the thickness should work for you. I bought a large sheet measuring 2' x 4' for $6 (before the 40% off coupon), but they have smaller sizes, too. I used it for The Artist's Studio window (which was roughly 12" x 18"), and though I did make supports, I think it would work fine for a 9" x 10" window without interior supports.

Hobby Lobby sells acetate sheets in many sizes, and the thickness should work for you. I bought a large sheet measuring 2' x 4' for $6 (before the 40% off coupon), but they have smaller sizes, too. I used it for The Artist's Studio window, and though I did make supports, I think it would work fine for a 9" x 10" window without interior supports.

Thanks. I'll check their online version as I don't have one near me.

I have looked at the home improvement stores but they are thicker than I thought I needed.

I'm also looking to either learn how to frost some of my "glass" or purchase a suitable substitute.

I looked at the plastic sheets for florescent lighting as they have some cool designs but it is quite brittle and hard to cut straight w/o chipping.

Methinks that my ideas are careening out of control and I don't know how to stop them. sigh ...

I've used vellum scrapbook paper to give the illusion of frosted glass. I slipped it in with the acetate.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=49844

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=49845

Wow !!! Thanks SO much. That is a fabulous and simple solution.

I was making it way more complicated than necessary.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Picked up some cute little additions for my stash over the weekend. Found the sofa that I need for the Bronte House, along with 3 new hens for the chicken coop area. Also found a pot belly stove, a copper-topped wooden table that I think I'll be able to use in a garden shed, can't wait to get my hands on the table to try my hand at aging the copper for that nice green finish. Also got a nice little lidded basket - I'm thinking kittens coming out of it if I can find some, and 3 ladderback chairs that I got for a steal. All-in-all a pretty good weekend of shopping.

post-4992-0-06266800-1372022304_thumb.jp

post-4992-0-21798800-1372022328_thumb.jppost-4992-0-83669600-1372022344_thumb.jppost-4992-0-20401300-1372022359_thumb.jppost-4992-0-58534100-1372022617_thumb.jppost-4992-0-34032500-1372022382_thumb.jppost-4992-0-70358500-1372022412_thumb.jppost-4992-0-58297800-1372022427_thumb.jp

• Like 3

I looked at those nesting chickens and almost bought them.

They are beautiful in the pics. Are they as nice in RL as they look?

Twinkle thought they would be good for something she is working on.

I am still working on my first real dollhouse, I am practicly finished with all of the first floor second coat. Right now though I am trying to find good flooring and wallpaper for the first floor. Hardest thing ever!!! Any suggestions?!?

Those chickens are wonderful! Loving that sofa as well. :)

I have finally begun work on the Pepperwood Farm house. No pics yet, as it is just the prep stage: cleaning, removing old wallpaper, removing windows, old shingles, etc. Arms and shoulders are sore today! LOL

Finally got a few extra hours to work on my micro townhouse over the weekend. I'm still waiting for the windows to arrive from England. Seems like everything has to be done "first". :bookread:

After painting the base coat on the two staircases, I painted on the red "carpet" yesterday. Also got the railing painted with the first coat of gold paint. I decided to leave out one interior wall so I can have a larger room on the second floor - typically known as the Entertainment Room.

More details in my Greenleaf blog ...

• Like 2

Been revamping my grand-daughter's "Nightmare before Christmas" vignette. Almost finished, wishing I could come up with a moon that could be a light. It is 1/2" scale/ 30x18. Will try to post pictures later.

Gail :bear:

How about making one? It should be easy using LED lighting, scrapbook paper and wood trim. I am picturing, no pun intended :) doing this as a piece of artwork hanging on the wall.

Picked up a cute little Greenhouse on eBay. I wasn't supposed to get anything else this week, but I had to make myself feel better. My chicken arrived today, and I'm really bummed. The hen and her chicks are perfect, beautifully made, the real feathers are wonderful and her little bottom has the softest little yellow fuzz - the problem??? She's wayyyyyyyyy too big. The listing said miniature and I went with that. Ought to know better, need to scroll down and read the whole thing - it's 3inches wide and 3inches tall. She's bigger than the chicken coop! Have no idea what I can do with her. Compared to my others she's like the Godzilla of chicken-dom

post-4992-0-21533500-1372387407_thumb.jppost-4992-0-40504300-1372387435_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Holy Cow or should I say Holy Chicken!!

And to think I almost bought it before you did !!

I'm so glad something made me wait.

That said, she does looks hilarious sitting there waiting to fit in the coop. :p:D :lol:

It really is a shame because it's a beautiful piece and I just love her little bum. Guess I'll just hold on to her and make her a part of my Thanksgiving table decorations. And of course now that I'm actively looking for chickens with real feathers - there's not another one to be found anywhere. Bummer

• Like 1

Yeah,if she wasn't too off budget just keep and enjoy her.There's a reason for everything,even getting an oversized hen by mistake.If she makes you smile it's worth hanging on to her.Just my 2 cents! ^_^

• Like 1

It really is a shame because it's a beautiful piece and I just love her little bum. Guess I'll just hold on to her and make her a part of my Thanksgiving table decorations. And of course now that I'm actively looking for chickens with real feathers - there's not another one to be found anywhere. Bummer

She sounds lovely. You could resell her, but perhaps she just needs to sit somewhere in your home and look sweet.

• Like 1

I've been looking for chickens with feathers too and have not been able to find any that won't break the bank. I'm looking for half scale, but have only found very few in one inch scale. Guess we are going to have to try making them. Maybe there will be a market for them! :lol:

• Like 1