What's everyone working on?

Hurray! Progress! Actually got some time to mini this weekend!!!

Made progress on the Spring Fling, and while I've been captive to health issues and family crises for the last few weeks, I kept slowly but surely sanding all the trim pieces for The White Rose. I think they might all be ready to paint!

Now I know with the lasercut half scale kits sanding is minimal, but I've found that an emery board and patience give some nice smooth edges to trim. I like to get rid of the little ridges that can be left from the laser. It doesn't take much sanding, just patience. It's one of those boring tasks that's perfect for when your stuck sitting around, and one of the nice things about half scale is you can stick the emery board and pieces in a ziplock bag and take it with you. Kinda like those ladies who take their knitting or crochet everywhere...that's me...sanding away on itty bitty pieces of wood. :)

• Like 4

I spill paint a lot.

OK--I finally did it--Superglued 3 fingers together. The glue instructions said to flood with water, but that wasn't a great solution. Nail polish remover left ugly residue, but the fingers are separated with no loss of skin. Yet. (The faucets I was making turned out. . . .)
  • Like 4

Nail polish remover residue will feel less icky after a hefty dollop of hand lotion (I've superglued fingers mini times, but my best trick was to kick over a tub of wallpaper paste whilst cleaning up a stain spill; I learned to hammer all lids down tightly after that one.

• Like 1

My classic was when super glue first came out. I couldn't get the cap off and tried doing so with my teeth. Uhhhhhh........NOT a good idea. The cap came off, glue squirted out and next thing you know, I had enough teeth and lips glued together to create quite an unforgettable drama for those who witnessed it. Ok, I'll admit it. A drama for me perhaps but for them, they still laugh.

• Like 1

Chris~

I am truly sorry about your hand, really. But seriously??? You give all new meaning to being able to do something with one hand tied behind your back. Beautiful food. It looks good enough to eat :) Bad joke. Great artistry. Make more and take more photos. Eye food, eye candy, same diff. Very impressive. I can't wait to see what you do when you are healed. Takr care of that hand!

Morgan

• Like 1

I had a wonderful mini-day today. First weekend I haven't had to work for about 3 months. Thankful for the work but I treated myself to a me-day today :) I've officially started my 1:144 scale Georgian Townhouse - I'm blogging about this one if you want to follow it. (on the GL blog). I think this is my 8th micro house from a kit and I am blown away by the precision and detail in this one! Amazingly well done! It's by Templewood Miniatures in England and I do plan to buy more of their kits!

• Like 1

CheckMouse, on 10 Jun 2013 - 03:44, said:

I had a wonderful mini-day today. First weekend I haven't had to work for about 3 months. Thankful for the work but I treated myself to a me-day today :) I've officially started my 1:144 scale Georgian Townhouse - I'm blogging about this one if you want to follow it. (on the GL blog). I think this is my 8th micro house from a kit and I am blown away by the precision and detail in this one! Amazingly well done! It's by Templewood Miniatures in England and I do plan to buy more of their kits!

You are such an artist; I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this. It is so tiny!
  • Like 1

morgansmith, on 10 Jun 2013 - 03:24, said:

Chris~

I am truly sorry about your hand, really. But seriously??? You give all new meaning to being able to do something with one hand tied behind your back. Beautiful food. It looks good enough to eat :) Bad joke. Great artistry. Make more and take more photos. Eye food, eye candy, same diff. Very impressive. I can't wait to see what you do when you are healed. Takr care of that hand!

Morgan

Aw, thank you Morgan. I may try making more today. It's raining out, a perfect day to play inside.

GirlPiper, on 09 Jun 2013 - 21:52, said:

OK--I finally did it--Superglued 3 fingers together. The glue instructions said to flood with water, but that wasn't a great solution. Nail polish remover left ugly residue, but the fingers are separated with no loss of skin. Yet. (The faucets I was making turned out. . . .)

Oh, no! I am glad you were able to get unstuck with all of your flesh in tact.

Thank you all for your encouragement with my food making. Yesterday was my first attempt. Today I went for broke and made French bread, seeded challah, 'loaf' bread, dinner rolls, butter, and Edam and Brie cheeses. I also decided to make a mini tutorial about it ~ my first tutorial ever! I have really enjoyed and benefited from other people's tutorials and thought it was time to give back. I hope you will stop by and let me know what you think and how I can improve it.

http://powellgirlz3.blogspot.com/2013/06/bread-and-cheese-mini-tutorial.html

• Like 1

Thank you, Morgan. I am feeling at loose ends not being able to do everything I hoped to be doing this past week and next. Making food and trying out a tutorial were things I could actually do today. I am glad the instructions were clear.

Today I got the half scale Little Ann Victorian! :bounce:

It's going to wait until I get the SF completed and the White Rose farther along.

I really am a die hard GL fan, but this is a cute kit and I'm glad I grabbed one. I'm especially happy that its birch faced plywood like the GL kits. :D

• Like 3

Trying my hand (literally ~ left hand and right thumb) at making food. Posted about it in my blog, but here's a little photo of my first attempt.

Think what you'll be able to do when your hand is better.

Working on a very large window/plate glass effect for SF.

Fingers crossed that the idea actually flies. It's a little iffy right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for what the thickness of the acetate or plastic should be to hold it stiff and firm over such a large area.

Think - grocery store front window size - and no, I'm not making a store.

The stuff that comes in the kits is very floppy when you try to use it in a window much larger than a regular pane size.

I'm thinking that I'll need some sort of supports in a couple places to hold it steady enough.

Also, where would you get whatever you might suggest.

I tried my (left) hand at making some little plates today. I am soooo looking forward to getting my right hand working again and be able to do the fun things I had been planning on once summer started.post-6356-0-17013700-1371081558_thumb.jppost-6356-0-45058600-1371081588_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Chris - sorry about your hand, I hope you're back to normal soon!

I have been working on the living room and office in my half scale Rowhouse. These are the two rooms with bay windows. I decided to dress up the door and window trim a bit, copying the design of the window pediments in my own dining room (which my father came up with when he helped us redo the dining room last year).

Here's what it looks like in real life:

rowhouse270.jpg

And my attempt:

rowhouse275.jpg

I've done the two French doors and door leading into the bedroom so far. Today I hope to finish the doorway into the kitchen and at least some of the windows (six altogether). But I also need to do crown molding first, while I can still get my hands in through the windows, so might not make it to the windows today.

The wallpaper is from Itsy Bitsy Minis. It's 1:12 but I think the size of the print is okay. (The flowers in the living room are a tad big but I compared it to a half scale damask I got for the kitchen, also from Itsy Bitsy Mini, and the size of the design was comparable so I felt okay with it. I like using 1:12 paper for 1:24 houses because the 1:24 paper usually comes in a smaller size, but for the same price... :() Unfortunately it has a bit of a sheen, even after I sprayed it with matte sealer, so the flash isn't playing nicely. The colors aren't as washed out in real life as they appear in these pictures.

More pics on my blog.

post-7-0-96219200-1371401478_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-27584000-1371401490_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-52231800-1371401492_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-35601500-1371401495_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm making some progress on my micro Georgian Townhouse. I continue to be impressed with the quality of this kit! My LED lights arrived already so will soon be figuring out just how to get them in place. More in my Greenleaf Blog ...

• Like 2