What's everyone working on?

That's my favorite part of The Hobbit. The beginning where they show you the Hobbit house! I thought I would do a Hobbit roombox at one point but I had no way of cutting round holes ....I still might try and figure a way to represent the Hobbits sitting room maybe. One of the many projects sitting in my brain.

• 2 weeks later...

I started my Orchid! Did I say I wasn't going to start my Orchid until AFTER Christmas? Well folks, every time I walked past the table where the box was laying it kept calling me over........so this afternoon I opened the box, took out the sheets and started labeling the parts and pieces.....yikes there seems to be many of them!!! Back, Front, Right, Left, Top, Bottom.....wore my little pencil down to a stub poor thing! :waycon: I need a break!

• Like 5

I am still working on The Columbian...... I just keep doing little touch ups.... I need to get it done so I can get it sold before Christmas.... I hope anyway.!

I am going to start working on cleaning up my blog, I have several and want to combine them all into one.... or two .... or Three... LOL.

I want a blog for my miniatures and dollhouses, and books.!!! I love to read and would love to blog about the books I am reading.! Im not sure how to organize the blog... as I want to add in my daily life a little too... like recipies and so forth....

If anyone has any ideas Please yell..... my Blogs are horrible and are just a total disaster.! I want them to flow and be inviting.!

kellee

I hope it's just a check-up at the vet, Roxy. :)

Now that Walnut Bay Light has been submitted for the HBS contest (pics in my gallery), I'm taking a small break from it before attending to the details I didn't have time for before the deadline. I've got a fun Christmas scene in mind, so I'll be working on that for the next week. :D

• Like 1

Brae, actually Annie has been acting weird for over a week now. She started out eating little pebbles every time we let her outside and now she has become very lethargic and sleeping all the time. She refused her favorite treats yesterday and today and is just laying here in her bed. I am really worried to tell you the truth.

Wow!!!! I love the lighthouse! Fantastic!!!!

Oh Roxy I am sorry to hear about your Annie- I do hope she will be alright!

As for me- once again it is almost Christmas and I find myself in a race against time to finish a dollhouse for a client! Sheesh! When will I EVER learn to say NO!!???? :bangin:

• Like 1

Don't have any houses on the go yet, but I have a collection of bits and pieces for a witch's house - a few bits of furniture, and various accessories like the broomstick, potion jars, candle sticks etc. It's a fun one! Just need to find or create the right "home" for it all. I can see it in my mind but haven't found it yet.

Well, we are departing a bit from the house scene for right now and are back to our original mini work of model trains. Twinkle and I have been building a new layout table in the basement and trying desperately to get it set up enough for a Christmas surprise for her father and her two younger siblings. We decided, too late, to get this going and don't have time to build the "box" we need for the table so we are just quickly setting it up on some really cool sawhorses we found. They are adjustable in height and have arms that extend out to provide sideways support. They will work until spring when our wood working shop is warm enough to work in again. It's fun to be back with the trains again. It was our family's beginnings into the miniature world a bazillion years ago. We'll probably start an album for this build at some point so you can see our turtle-driven slowness. :play_ball: Yup, that's us ....

I love trains and yours sound like a lot of fun for the whole family. Pictures please?

One of the purposes for building the workshop is to get all the tools, benches, shelves and supplies out of the garage so we have somewhere to set up DH's trains!

So, good to know we have other train enthusiasts here too. That's great. When we get along a bit further, maybe I'll start a thread for the project and see if there are other engineers here too. Its too early for that right now. We are only in the "big mess on the floor" stage right now. Our original set up went by the way when our house burned so we've not had much since then. My son has a small setup at his place but since the kids live here, it seemed smarter to build the bigger set up here. We have been working on a number of basic things like overhead lighting for the basement as well since that was never put back in after the fire. It's not a pretty basement - old stone foundation, uneven floors, an old well in one end, and so on. We rebuilt on the same foundation.

I splurged and got a DCC (digital command control) controller unit for the Christmas surprise. It will be nice going forward to be able to enter the digital world a bit since so much is headed that direction these days. Going to train shows is a great fascination for me. I love taking the free landscaping classes they offer at the shows - different topics and scene types each year. I've learned so much from those.

Well, best get my old bones moving ...

The Visitor's Center in Foley, AL, has a room devoted to model trains, and a couple of days a week the local model train club opens it up to the public so we can go watch them play with their trains. It's WONDERFUL!

• Like 1

Back in the 1970's we took our children on a trip to PA to Hershey Park and the Lancaster sights. We came across a huge train place somewhere along our travels either to or from there. I can't remember where we were whether east or west of that area when we came upon it but it was a wonderful rest stop for everyone. My oldest son was already big into trains at that point so he was the tour guide for the younger siblings to "teach" (translate boss around) everyone!

I've been working on finishing the insides of the hinged panels in my half scale Queen Anne Rowhouse. Due to warped wood and some difficulty getting the hinges in, neither panel closes completely, which annoys me but the more I fiddled the worse I seemed to make it, so I finally had to call it good enough.

On the side with the stairwell, I added a magnet to hold it closed. The metal thingie that attaches to the magnet is a scrapbook embellishment I thought could pass as a Victorian heating vent. On the side with the chimney, I was able to build out the edge of the chimney a bit to disguise that the door isn't closing all the way.

I have another one of these houses as a kit and I might leave the panels off when I build it. I like the idea of them, but getting them to look nice is so tricky and I feel like the house would look just fine with openings on instead of hinged walls.

I have a lot more pictures of the process and will post a blog about it at some point, but for now I thought I'd share these with you guys...

post-7-0-58722500-1387694041_thumb.jpg post-7-0-98296800-1387693993_thumb.jpg post-7-0-40761400-1387694224_thumb.jpg post-7-0-70455700-1387694267_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I love that stairwell! And the chimney, of course. :D It's turning out beautifully!

I'm giving 1:144 scale a first try! I'll being using the house in progress for a mini Christmas scene first. Pics here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6545

Now that i have finally broken up for the festive holidays i will be spending some quality time with family and of course some quality miniature time on my roombox build. :D

Selkie, count me among those interested in trains. I have an N-gauge set that has been boxed up for 25 years or so. Maybe your photos will get me to unbox them. I settled on N-gauge because it packs a lot of life into a small space. :)

Emily, the row house is beautiful. The interior is in the style of an apartment of one of my favorite aunts with the varnished trims and subtle wallpapers.

Tony, the 18th Century treasure or wunderkammer room is too elegant for words!

I have four options to work on next: a potter for the pottery shop (my first doll), put new lights in Marie Laveau's cottage (a local museum may be interested in displaying it), getting back to the Beacon Hill (which is showing more patience than I'd believed possible), or pull out the supplies for a self-designed quilted table runner that I've had for nearly a year. Eenie, meenie, minie, moe ... :hmm:

That's my favorite part of The Hobbit. The beginning where they show you the Hobbit house! I thought I would do a Hobbit roombox at one point but I had no way of cutting round holes ....I still might try and figure a way to represent the Hobbits sitting room maybe. One of the many projects sitting in my brain.

If you have a drill, you can get a reasonably-priced set of hole saws at many big box, neighborhood hardware, and discount stores that go onto the drill chuck and make very nice holes. They come in sets from 1/2 inch diameter to about 2 inch in a nested package. Contractors use them to drill holes in doors for the locksets and for installing wiring, etc, but you ccan get by with the do-it-yourselfer cheap set.