What's everyone working on?

Can't wait to see your whole village city!

LOL Kat that's what its turning out to be! I have all kinds of plans in my head I just need to find a place to display them.

I am going to go to the second hand shops and see if I can find a bookshelf or something. For Christmas I will choose a few of the ones I have made for the display until I can get something.

• Like 1

Thrift stores have a super-abundance of entertainment centers for the old analog TVs that you can install extra shleves where the TV went. Some of the uber-fancy ones had book and display cases that went with them, which is where we got most of the bookcases that populate our house. Several of the ones have glass doors and shelves and light up.

• Like 2

I saw a great shelf unit painted antique white, kind of shabby chic. We went to see if they still have it at the consignment store yesterday but it was sold. I am sure I will find something. I have a shelf that hangs on the wall out in the garage but I don't want to put any more things in the adobe walls than I have to.

Tomorrow I hope to go and check two other places. The window sills actually are deep enough to hold them but I don't like a lot of clutter on them.

A glass enclosed one would be really nice!

I made 2 of the sets of the quarter scale buildings, they are packed with all my Christmas stuff right now. As soon as I get all those goodies out I'll post pictures, I believe I have the quarter scale Arthur posted in the gallery. I left the back off and got the quarter scale brown furniture for it. I LOVE it. It sits out all year long. I need to make curtains and little table coverings and bed coverings of course but haven't tried much in the quarter scale yet. I loved the buildings they were so much fun to build, and my boys even helped me with them. They both still love to set them up every year. I usually display them under the Christmas tree with an old electric train set going around the tree and town. Sometimes the dollar store has cute little decor to add to the town, and I believe it is Michaels that has the little battery operated lighted decor. I have 2 santas that light up with a battery pack and I think the little lighted north pole poles. I'll have to get some pics this year, I know I have some but no clue where they are on the computer. I didn't glue down the roofs because the boys would put horses in the barn, and they wanted me to build lil pews for the church..... I'm not so sure I can do that... But I am sure Popsicle sicks would work... I'll have to try it this year.. :)

Enjoy your little town, it is a lot of fun to build and display. I cannot wait to see your pictures.

Thanks Kelly! Did I say I wasn't going to work on minis today? Did I say I was going to give my hands a rest? :roflmao:

I have been looking at the church since I made it and I couldn't figure out what I didn't like about it. I found myself

tearing off the roof and ripping out all the windows! They just didn't work for me! Will let you know what I decide to do

with them!

Continuing to make progress on the exterior of the White Rose. My vision for this house requires so much trim, and a lot of careful cutting. I thought I could finish cutting the siding yesterday, until I got to the front door. I'd already had to redo the upper front wall twice, but when I'd cut the first piece for the front door for the third time, I decided a break was in order :lol:

I hope to make more progress and post photos later today :)

• Like 1

Thrift stores have a super-abundance of entertainment centers for the old analog TVs that you can install extra shleves where the TV went. Some of the uber-fancy ones had book and display cases that went with them, which is where we got most of the bookcases that populate our house. Several of the ones have glass doors and shelves and light up.

Entertainment centers: craigslist, thrift stores, friends...we use them in every room as wonderful storage. We just bought a mission styke unit with leaded glass and will be building shelves above it to encourage a hutch-like look for kitchen cabinetry. The end result will look like custom cabinetry for a fraction of the cost. Our bedroom has another entertainment center. It's still stained oak but painted shabby it wouldn't last a day in a store. It was free. It displays part of my dollhouse collection. Imagine that :)

• Like 2

Mission style is my favorite Morgan!!! The consignment store here in town is a bit pricey because they cater to the tourists. The owner knows me now so he is keeping an eye out for a unit for me as well as a desk. I am sure I will find something eventually. We have a lot of mismatched furniture in the house so anything I get will fit in.

• Like 1

I don't know where I heard this: "People have asked me what my furniture style is and I always say 'Eclectic'...then I get a blank stare until I say,'Well,it's actually ''Early Yard Sale''....' Then they smile and nod." :)

I've never cared for the matchy-matchy look anyway - even if I could afford it.

I love wood and love to blend the colors and textures of it.

We pass around furniture within the family and have a "new" look just by trading around.

I shy away from any thing like stuffed furniture from tag sales or second hand shops now with the resurgence of bed bugs.

It has scared me off. I don't like to stay in motels anymore either.

• Like 2

Well we lucked out on the sleeper sofa we found for our livingroom, but apparently it had just come in from the condo and except for the white store cat when I cleaned it I got no dirt from it, just some white cat hairs; and the mattress on it is one of those su[er-extra regular bed-think mattresses like we sleppt on at Kathie's and ruined us both for regular sleeper sofas ever since! I don't think ours was ever slept on.

Still working on trim for the White Rose. I've been staring at the, ahem, progress I made cutting the siding, and Do. Not. Like!

I pieced the front together around the window openings and even though I cut it very very close, it doesn't work because this type of siding needs to be perfectly butted against the previous piece, otherwise it leaves gaps that will show even if I fill them.

I was about to scrap it and use clapboard....or I was even considering starting over and cutting each individual plank... But now I think I'll recut the front for the third time and meticulously cut out the window openings instead. I was hoping to avoid that on this section, but no such luck.

On the bright side, my trim addition pieces to the roof line and brow line are all cut, as is the edge molding. And I didn't mess up the angles :)

Lol, I have a entertainment center in my craft room right now that I have been wanting to get rid of !!!!! We got a new tv last year and took the et center to the basement for the kids game system. Then they were given a pool table and the et center and tv was moved in my craft room, I don't want it and neither do they.... They got a smaller tv and a small table and have their game systems on it. I am still decluttering the lower level. I've been working on the Columbian dollhouse so I can sell it, and I just posted the HUGE handmade house on here. I decided that once Christmas is over, I'm going to start pulling my mims out and going thru it all and trading it with my mini family here. I have a lot of stuff I won't use and would rather have things I will.

The Columbian is coming along, I need to get the baseboards done, staircase painted and the front door put on, then the back roof put on. I haven't decided what house I am going to work on next but it will be one of my rehabs. I have several I am going to finish and sell. I want room to display my favorite houses, and room to build my favorite kits.

Kellee

Love the new display table! I'm glad the damage was reparable.

Thanks, Holly. I don't usually go back to projects that are declared completed, but this one needs a lot of little details to make it more realistic. I dry brushed some ivory acrylic here and there to simulate clay dust. Even that little change made a difference. I used a stain pen to darken & add shading to the garage doors and trim and the sign. Cutting the twigs that formed the wood pile into smaller pieces made a big difference in how the kiln area looks. I want to grab some of Lloyd's colored pencils and add some shading to the roof shingles. They're flat black and could use some definition. I like the way Casey's shingles turn out when she hits them with the Prismacolors. :)

I ordered 18 more ceramic pots/vases from Manor House Minis. Some will be painted with gesso to represent glazed by unfired items and will be stacked in the kiln. I've harvested some ceramics posters from the internet; they'll be added to the walls as soon as we get a new color cartridge for the printer.

These changes are bringing the scene to life. I have a nagging urge to add a potter to supervise the activity. I don't have a dedicated toaster oven here, but I guess I could use Anna's boiling method to set the Fimo.

(The Beacon Hill is tapping its foot and sophia is tired of hanging out with Marie Laveau. I'd best get the pot shop finished an move along!)

Boiling works great Kathie, even helps when it comes to painting the surface after curing. Ony needs tot take care as itty bitty pieces might get slightöy more brittle...

Looking forward to seeing it take shape!

Hugs

A vertical display would work the best for me I think. I use to remove all my dishes from my dining room hutch at Christmas time and arrange my Dept 56 Village in there with lights and all. I don't have that set anymore so that is why I built the quarter scale village. I think that I like mine set better!!!

I saw a tall narrow shelf unit in the second hand store but when I went back to buy it they had sold it :( I am thinking I will go look again today maybe I will find something so I can get my village set up.

Shabby Chic is a good name for our house furniture but it fits out here in the wild west. I can imagine how furniture would have looked if it had been brought across the country in a bumpy covered wagon!! I don't like anything Modern with metal and glass. Not for me!

Concrete got poured today and the rest of the day will be finishing the surfaces; in addition to the workshop and stoop they expanded the slab behind our back door so we can put a screen porch ot there. I paused just long enough to do a happy dance!

• Like 3

Ooooh, you'll love the screened porch as much as the workshop!

You remember the one we had in Havana! We lived there the way you & Lloyd lived in Marshall; our summertime home! I might even set up my toaster oven and clay there.