What's everyone working on?

Years ago we began with O27 gauge due to it's smaller cornering abilities over the straight O gauge. It was quite expensive and took up so much space that we downsized to HO. It's more readily available and you can find a lot of lower priced but nice quality parts. Glad to hear that many in the GL family like this kind of miniature too.

Our first Christmas in this house DH set up an oval track and one of his trains and some of his little resin houses on the shelf beneath the top of our dining table, and ran it during mealtime; our dining furniture looks like this: http://www.primeclassicdesign.com/images/modern-dining-tables/AE-112DT-black-glass-table.jpg

I saw an HO Santa Fe train set that would be prefect with my quarter scale village.....maybe it will go on sale after Christmas if its still there.

I am mostly planning and dreaming my Orchid right now. I need to find another table for a workspace. I definitely don't have enough space on my little work table to spread out the pieces.

...found RL plans of my wife's childhood home that unfortunately was destroyed in a fire some 40 yrs ago. Shhhhhh...don't tell her but I'm going to try an build a mini version for her. She's always wished it was still standing. Always reminiscing about the house, family, 3 sisters, the pets... :)

I'll have some more (better) pics & 3D drawings soon!

I think my battery's dying...

gallery_4762_6553_841587.png

• Like 3

Oh Gosh Mike! That house looks like the ones on eastern Long Island NY where I grew up!

Well, I got kind of bored this afternoon and so I opened the Orchid box, labeled the pieces and punched them out. I put them in labeled baggies so I can find them hopefully when I need them! I feel like I am on my way now! I look at the windows again but I still don't understand the sashes and how part of the window becomes part of the sash and ya da ya da ya da.......I guess I am dense but I don't see it. Oh well. I will look at more pictures and see if the light bulb comes on in my brain.

:sad?:

• Like 1

Gorgeous house, Mike! What a wonderful idea for a gift...and we get to enjoy eye candy :banana:

I'm trying to fight off a cold which is not easy when you're also trying to plan and cook dinner for 8 :ill: Vick's, fluids and sleep is the prescription for me! :doctor: Hoping to have it mostly licked by tomorrow morning

• Like 1

Roxy, before you start to glue anything, with bits of masking tape or poster putty, put the window frames and sashes in place over the window openings and study on them. I am a visual-tactile learner, and that's how I figured the darned things out.

• Like 1

Why, oh why, did I put my little micro Georgian Townhouse away before it was finished??!! I set it aside because my work schedule increased, and I wanted to work on the Spring Fling. I pulled it out Christmas Eve so I could start working on it again. I have no clue as to what I was to do next :( It came with 5 pages of instruction, single-spaced, legal sized paper, and I will have to sit down and re-read the whole thing. Note to self: DON'T STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUILD!!

• Like 2

Roxy, before you start to glue anything, with bits of masking tape or poster putty, put the window frames and sashes in place over the window openings and study on them. I am a visual-tactile learner, and that's how I figured the darned things out.

Holly Me too....except when I visualize usually things don't look right to me ( the dyslexia ). I have been having an aerobic sanding marathon this afternoon and after I get the main parts sanded I will do exactly what you said here. Once I see it correctly I will understand. Maybe I will take a photo of how I have it laid out and have you tell me if I have it right :p It can't be that difficult I just can't SEE it now. The windows I have always used were already in one piece and all I had to do was glue them into the correct opening!

I really like the door on the Orchid. I can't wait to try and put that one together as I see there are no hinges included with the kit....does anyone know if there were suppose to be hinges and doorknobs etc included with the Orchid? I don't have any :(

If I stop in the middle of a build, I lose what I'm doing also.. I just got confused about what I was going to do next because I've spent the majority of today either on the phone with my father, or on the computer sorting out an external h/d for my son so he can stop whining about his laptop.. Oh expert computer repair person. This, coming from the guy who supposedly knows so much about computer repair, just spent the last two days whining about his laptop not allowing him to install software and blaming his father for infecting the laptop with tons of virii and malware because he was the last one using it.. I suspect that it's not just virii and malware but perhaps a glitch in the install... *shrugs* call me crazy, but It would seem to me that there might be something tripping up the installation of the software. Considering that the laptop seemed to be working fine about a month ago, just after he got here... and now it isn't. So, I've had to remove all of my data from an extra drive I have, and am cleaning the drive to make sure there isn't anything on the drive that can harm his laptop, and I'm going to let him use the external drive so he can save what data he doesn't want to lose from the laptop, and then he can format the laptop h/d and reinstall his OS and the rest of his software. His desktop is currently offline due to a faulty network card. I tried to order him another one through Amazon and got a notification today that the order was canceled, saying they were out of stock, despite the website telling there was one left in stock... Go figure... So now I have to go look for another one..no, I'm not bitter today.. not one bit...

~morning

• Like 1

Thanks Kat. I just noticed that mine had no hardware. I will probably glue beads to the doors for handles and forget the hinges anyway. I never open the doors and my hands can't put the pins in those darned hinges anyway! :) I am never a stickler for complete "realism" in my houses. I do the best I can and have fun with them!

• Like 1

Hinges and other hardware are not included with the kits. I make knob sets with bits of aluminum foil and metallic beads, and as I posted elsewhere, I bought a chamois leather detail "cloth" that I cut into 1/2" wide strips 1" long and use about three of them evenly spaced, 1/4" sandwiched between the two door pieces and the other 1/4" sandwiched between the doorframe and the wall.

• Like 1

I found a pair of earrings someone had given me. I can't wear "mystery metal" and I think they will make "interesting" front door handles. I think that I will try to make the ribbon or fabric hinges. I have tons of scraps. :) Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

• Like 1

Would someone please post pictures of how you use the ribbon to make Hines for the door. I've done it before but want to see how you all do it..... I didnotlike how mine turned out. !

I just finished The Columbian, I wanted the door to open and close but need to really sand the door frame a lot more and do the hinges from ribbon.

Thank you in advance for pictures of your ribbon hinges.

Kellee

• Like 1