What's everyone working on?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=26&showentry=881 fourth photo down, click on it and it'll enlarge awesomely and you can see the front door, exterior side, with the twill tape glued to it. I then glued the interior side to the back of the exterior side, sandwiching the half length of twill tape between them. I then glued the other half of the twill tape to the srong side of the door frame trim and when it dries I glued the trim piece to the door opening, clamping it all in place.

California is having unseasonably great warm weather so.....I am working on my outdoor fairy garden. I am making small houses out of wooden cigar boxes and mounted them onto candlesticks to give height. Now, have to decorate with moss and artificial flowers and leaves because of the elements. It is a large flat area down the side of my house, when it is a little farther, I will post pictures.

In reality, this project also takes me away from my 2014 resolution....de-cluttering........

Gail :bear: (bear says "procrastinator!)

• Like 1

Well, I worked on the Orchid first floor ceiling where I attempted to fill in the opening where the stairs should be. I cut a sturdy piece of cardboard the same thickness as the floor and glued that in the other day. Then I spackled over it to make it nice and smooth. I painted it and let it dry and when I picked up the finished ceiling it cracked on the edge where the fill in piece is :( My next idea is to just glue ceiling paper over the whole ceiling and call it a day. I did that with my Farm House and it held nicely. I guess that is tomorrow's science experiment. :p

I also sanded all the window parts!!!

• Like 1

I didn't have any scrap wood that would have fit the hole. I am pretty much starting from scratch again with my building. If I let it dry over night, respackle, let it dry another day and repaint do you think it might hold? I guess I didn't wait long enough.

Sand the patch smooth and run a light line of spackle over the crack with your finger, tape the patch on the floor side, and let the whole mess dry for two or three days before sanding again. When the cardboard around the tape no longer feels cool to the touch it's probably dry enough to remove the painter's tape.

• Like 1

You might be able to fill it in with skinny or popsicle sticks as some extra support. I glued a few together sideways like you would for making flooring, let it dry, glued it into the hole, let dry and then spackled it and let it dry again and got a reasonably smooth surface - enough so the flooring and ceiling paper type things covered it just fine.

After a two year hiatus I went back to my half scale Rosedale today. Rearranging some rooms and making a change in the kitchen to replace the backsplash I never really liked. I'll post pics when I have more to show for myself. Ideally I want to get this house "finished" before I start in on the Elizabeth Anne kit I impulse bought off eBay a few weeks ago...

• Like 1

I'm finally getting to sit down after a long day and peruse the internet for more items I'm collecting for my Orchid.

I'm on the hunt for a crackle paint to use for the exterior of the house. I want the siding to look aged. I suppose I need to find some siding first!

I made a tiny 2' x 3' (scale) braided rug, and I found a great deal on some Chrysnbon kits on Ebay I was able to buy.

I'm thinking of curtains too, I want to find something in the early 1900's period. Isn't it funny how we take the same care in decorating these houses as if they were full size and we were living in them? At least I think of them that way.

• Like 1

Amy, I'm with you on the care we take of our mini houses. Although it was just a cheap stop gap rental, we had alot of fun with the fact that when my 2011 Spring Fling was finished it was worth more than the house we lived in.

As for crackle paint. You get a crackle medium at the craft store. It is in the regular acrylic paint section with the paints. I'm pretty sure there are a couple brands but Folk Art has one. Anyway, you buy the medium and use it with whatever paint you want. Or, you can dry brush multiple layers of paint and antique it with stain.

Be sure and post pics :) Good luck.

Amy, I was trying to duplicate DH's grandparents' house when I built my Coventry Cottage, which meant aged, weathered paint. After I sided the house I washed the siding with my isopropyl alcohol + India ink "bug juice" to get it that bleached-wood silvery color, and then I brushed on washes of different concentrations of white, and then drybrushed white over that to give the aged paint appearance of their house. It's a different look from what you're going for, but for whatever reason their paint didn't crackle from age, it just wore thin.

I managed to start painting window trim this afternoon. I got the first coat done on the trim and I will wait until the day after New Years to sand and paint again.

My hands need a rest! I fooled around with colors on scrap wood also. I am pretty much using paint I already have in my stock. I just hope that I have enough!

Oooo an Elizabeth Anne! I wonder if it's the same one I saw...I had it on my watch list and removed it, reluctantly. I'm going to be setting up my craft table tomorrow! So excited to get back to the bungalow. :banana:

There were two on eBay recently. Queenannediva got the first one and I got the second one. :lol: I've already taken it out of the box and did a little dry fit, and my windows and siding are on the way from HBS...

So far so good on the new years resolution , I finished Mack ( and made his wife & kid ) almost have Hank's work shed done , and have figured out how I'm going to finish the display base lamp. Going to the doctor tomorrow in the blizzard and will be able to stop at the hardware store for a couple of things.

2014 is starting out pretty good ! :banana:

• Like 2

Go, Stacey, go! :)

After our trip to Oak Alley this week, I'm inspired to get back to work on the Beacon Hill, which has been sitting here patiently. I thought I might first fix the lights in Marie Laveau's cottage, but she seems to be doing all right with candles for now. :D

• Like 2

I am creeping ahead with the Orchid. I hope to do a second coat on the window trim today and then start painting the walls which I intend to paint before I assemble...I find it a lot easier to paint while the piece is laying flat on the table.

You go Stacey!

• Like 1

I an creeping ahead with the Orchid. I hope to do a second coat on the window trim today and then start painting the walls which I intend to paint before I assemble...I find it a lot easier to paint while the piece is laying flat on the table.

You go Stacey! Did you hand stitch your mice?

• Like 2

While I am patiently waiting the arrival of the rest of my supplies to finish up my Beacon Hill I have decided to pull out my daughters very neglected Coventry Cottage and finish it up for her. We bought her the kit a few years back because she was so intrigued by my Beacon Hill and wanted so badly to build a dollhouse of her own. Well she started it and very quickly lost interest as she became a teenager and her friends became more important than her dollhouse. This poor house has been packed around with us and survived, much to my surprise, 3 moves over the past 3 years. So I have decided that it's time this poor little house be pulled out of storage and get completed. I spent the better part of my New Years Day digging her out, getting my work space organized, and getting started on finishing her up. I have some work ahead of me, much of the paint is in need of touch ups, and because my daughter was only 11 years old when she started this poor little house, there are a lot of things I'm going to have to pull apart and fix. I'm hoping that once it's finished she will once again fall in love with it and hang on to it so she can pass it on to her own children one day. I will post some progress pictures once I get some head way on it.

I got farther along than I thought I would today. I painted the front and both sides of the Orchid. The blue it a bit brighter than I wanted but it will do. The paint was thinner that I would have liked and of course the walls warped nicely after the paint was on. I have the sides laying flat under heavy books for a couple of days now.

So far I haven't looked at the instructions since day 1! :bangin: I know I will have to read to get those dormers and front gable on correctly.

Well, I can't decide what house I want to rehab next. So I decided tomorrow I will walk in the craft room and whatever house I see first is the one I'm working on.... I may even send the boys down to pick one. I just want to get them moving along.

Kellee