What's everyone working on?

You may color me crazy - I just bought another dollhouse! I'm working at a Home & Garden Show , that a section in the back with antiques. (I'm posting this from my cell phone) Long story short the house is estimated at 100 yrs old, needs a lot of TLC, has REAL glass windows - and a unique construction system. I'll post pix next week and ask for lots of advice and opinions.

• Like 4

I spent the *entire day* working on my half scale Rosedale. Seriously, from 10:00 until 7:00. Most of that time I was standing up... my feet hurt!

The main things I did were to add trim to the exposed edges of the plywood, and paint the roof trim. I've glued the pieces together at right angles but haven't glued them to the house yet. One of the pieces broke and can't be fixed, so I'm going to have to do something different on the right side. I have a patio door there so it makes sense to have a taller railing, but it's too bad the house won't be symmetrical. But I already have a plan for making a bute railing out of some leftovers from my rowhouse, though, so I'm not too disappointed...

Tomorrow I hope to finish that and get the windows and the remaining baseboards in. After that I'll just have some furniture to finish, and this one's done! I'm eager to start the Elizabeth Anne so I'll probably wait to landscape it until later.

post-7-0-36770100-1388897073_thumb.jpg post-7-0-84597100-1388897070_thumb.jpg

Nice Emily!

I am still working on the window frames and pieces etc. I end up using spackle that I put on with my finger to smooth out the rougher pieces that sand paper isn't taking care of. I paint over the thin spackle and it looks much better. :)

Thanks Kathie and Roxy !! :) I've been jumping around from build to build , seems more fun that way . Doing some egg carton stones for the first time and am LOVING it ! Next new thing to try is going to be a batch of homemade paper clay ,I want to try to make some fancy shingles .

I have been looking at scroll saws for the past month and finally found a deal on one on Ebay. It should be here by the end of the week , can't wait to play around with it. Then I used the rest of my Christmas money on orders from HBS and DHE , I've got all sorts of mini things on the way. :clap:

And yes the mouse family was sewn by hand Roxy , I realized I forgot to put their whiskers on :oops:, so when I can remember where I put the embroidery floss , I'll add them on. :D

• Like 4

Well, I decided The Shenandoah is next up on the work table, which happens to be my Dining room table right now.! My craft room is in the basement, although it is a finished basement is is very chily down there....I do have a small tower heater for the room but I am afraid to hook it up right now. Since we moved ALL my dollhouses and dollhouse related stuff to the smallest room in the basement, it is really tight quarters, and I am afraid the heater might start a fire. There is just enough room to walk in to the work table. I really havent had time to organize much yet. I have room to work at the table its just so cramped around me. Its funny how things look on paper compared to what it is actually like in the room. LOL. ! I need to reglue the porch roof and posts back on. When we moved the Shenandoah my youngest son grabbed the porch roof and lifted, it snapped right off the posts. We talked about the log canin this morning and he wants it done as a Hunting cabin.... so we will need to make some blankets, window coverings and accessories. It must have a deer head in it somewhere as well, since he harvested his first deer a few days before Thanksgiving. I am sure I will have a list of things I need to make for it very soon. !

Kellee

• Like 1

Thanks! The house has settled a bit since I first put it together... a few of the walls are kind of slanty. :o Guess the lady who lives there didn't bother to pull permits before she bought the house!

Kellee, my workspace is in the garage and I have a little space heater in there. I only keep it on when I'm in the room and I close the door so it gets nice and toasty. :)

• Like 1

Hey All!

Just got back from my extended Christmas vacation with family in Atlanta and I'm dying to see what everyone is up to. Been gone since the day after my birthday so I've missed quite a bit and have a lot of catching up to do. Chomping at the bit to read through the pages and see what you've all been doing. Definitely glad to be home in my own bed and back at my craft table. I'm sure my mini's missed me cause I know I missed them. Promised them I'd bring them some new companions from HBS since I was right there, but uncooperative relatives being what they are I never got to the store. That'll teach me. Next time I'll stay in a hotel and get to come and go as I please....TAXI!

• Like 1

Glad that you made it back safely anyway Judith!

I keep trying to LIKE posts and the darned thing keeps saying I don't have permission to do that!!! Grrrrr!

So, Stacey, you did a wonderful job on the mice!!! I thought I might like to try it but finding fabric here is impossible. I couldn't even find felt in Walmart except for red. Red mice??? lol

I am having difficulty making progress on some aspects of my build because its so cold outside I can't spray my sealer. I want to seal the scrap book paper that I use for wallpaper and it really shouldn't be used under 50 degrees. I have use it in colder conditions but it didn't spray and dry quite right. I definitely can't spray inside the house the fumes would kill me. ! :p

• Like 1

Wow,Roxy! Gotta love surprises like that!! Can't wait to hear the rest of that story! :D

Welcome back,Judith! Hey,just a quick personal catch-up:my son surprised me with a brand new Orchid kit for Christmas! So,with the secondhand kit you helped me locate on Ebay awhile back,I have 2 now! :) Glad you are back and belated Happy,Happy Birthday!! :)

I am slowly but surely making progress on my Dura-Craft Ashley/"Cool Breeze" build,learning to appreciate the 'curative' powers of spackle on rough wood more and more every day!lol I'm also daydreaming alot and getting lots of decor ideas for the new Orchid kit,which I hope to start soon.

Stacey-your little mice are so adorable I didn't even notice the missing whiskers! :D

Edited by kat57
  • Like 2

I have really found such joy in working on my first house!! I did the flooring and wallpaper on the first floor and now I'm starting on the ceiling. I handmade some books, framed photos, polymer fruit and kitchen plates- I will post pictures soon!

• Like 2

The Shenandoah is on the Dining Table. !!!!!! I am going to reglue the porch roof on, touch up a few spots I missed when I finished the exterior.... I will hopefully get a few pics of it and The Columbian.... we will see how well the camera cooperates.!

Kellee

I never did find out who sent me the Sugar Plum Cottage kit!!! :sad?:

I have been fooling around for 2 days with the door! The light bulb came on in my brain during the night ( I woke up) and I understand how to put cloth hinges on the dang door!!!! :clap:

I spend hours on the computer making graphics.....not necessarily for the dollhouse.......I just wandered off the task for a side trip.

• Like 1

If daydreaming counts as working on something today,then I am! :) I have paper and paint ready to go for the new Orchid kit my son gave me for Christmas,but I gotta get my current build done,my Cool Breeze/D-C Ashley. I try to get mini time in on the weekdays,but for now work has me pretty tired so I am mainly working on projects on the weekends. Meanwhile I read every post or mention I can find about the Orchid and am excited for those like you,Roxy,who are in the midst of doing theirs! What fun!:)

• Like 1

It's wonderful to read again and again that members cannot stop buying doll's houses. No matter how many they already have, works-in-progress, works-soon-to-be-started, and untouched, new or used, in or out of box houses that keep being pushed back along the queue by new must-haves.

I was totally hooked within a couple of weeks of thinking, one July day in 2013 - hmmmm, What shall I buy myself as a birthday treat? And then typing, in the eBay search bar,. the words, doll's house. No need to say more!

Gail I saw your Fairy Garden pictures......so pretty!!!

I am going along slowly with the prep work for the Orchid. I NEED warmer weather so I can take paper outside to spray seal it. The temps on the weekend were almost decent ( 50) but the wind was blowing so hard I couldn't possibly manage the papers outside.
I just have to work on the trim or something and wait........

Today it's more organization. I have so many crafting things just everywhere. I have stamping things, sewing things, knitting, my wools and spinning wheel. I have my clay art, and I have my incense and soap making things. Then I have my painting things, acrylics and watercolors. My models that I make, and then my minis. I have to get organized. I love organizing but I'm really tired today so not getting much done.

Did I say I was going SLOWLY? I got lost in wallpapering today and finished the 2nd floor. I am trying to wallpaper before I assemble this time. I have a lot of trouble if the rooms are together already in the small spaces. Will let you know how that works out for me this time :p

• Like 1

I got myself motivated enough to finally cut my B & B siding from my collection of Coke boxes , and have the eaves touched up and painted. Hope to have the Orchid finished completely by the end of the week , and then on to the Magnolia. :D

• Like 3

I am trying to find some printable flooring for the Orchid. I think I am going to have to use something like that. I tried a few I found online but so far none of them look very good. Any suggestions, links, ideas?
My hands won't do the skinny sticks. Thanks :)

This isn't what you asked about,Roxy,but have you considered the self-adhesive veneer sheets Stacey shared about awhile back? I'm using it on my Ashley and love it. Very easy to cut with a craft knife or with scissors to the shape you want and no stain or glue needed. Ebay 'buy it now' and not real expensive for what you get.