What's everyone working on?

I took a break from my rowhouse yesterday to put together some kits for my Little House in the Big Woods cabin -- a washstand, mirror, candle holder, and spinning wheel. They went together easily and I'm happy with the results. The washstand stained kind of unevenly but hey, you don't get much more rustic than an 1800s log cabin. :lol:

The house is more or less done so I'll put up a gallery here in a little bit.

attachicon.gifcabin114.jpg attachicon.gifcabin115.jpg

Love everything about this, especially the quilt and the blue wash on the walls. Great job!

I picked up a couple of goodies this week on eBay. Found an Allison for my dollhouse stash for only $35.00 and finally found the little mortar and pestle I need for the Bronte house kitchen. Got the M/P for a great deal and the little tray comes as a bonus. Don'cha love it when ya get exactly what you want and other goodies come with?

post-4992-0-78492200-1374350079_thumb.jppost-4992-0-09518700-1374350095_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! Hi Holly!!
Holly......I am lost with out my Dollar Tree store!!!!!!! I spent some time today setting up my space to start working on minis and such again.....its been WAY too long! I either sold or gave away almost all my dollhouses.......I only kept 3 pieces so I am starting completely over! The challenge here is to find materials. I want to start a Christmas house in hopes that it will be finished by the season. I am thinking half scale. Anyway I am enjoying reading in the forum and getting psyched to get my hands dirty!

:bear:

• Like 1

Holly you wouldn't believe it! LOL I injured my right hand in January and had to have surgery on the tendons. It was a long slow process recovering with lots of therapy but I think the best therapy at this time is getting my fingers working on projects! I am excited to get started again! This afternoon after I set up my little work area I dug out a Michaels hutch and started painting. I will post a photo soon! I needed a warm up project :)

Well dang it just color me totally ticked off at me! I waited for 2 days to bid on a fabulous little item on eBay and then - fell asleep in front of the computer and missed it. But that's not the worst part, I actually woke up in time to get a bid in on it but didn't check the time and went to the kitchen to get some chips and dip and in that 10 minutes that I took in the kitchen I missed the close of the auction. I could just kick myself - TWICE! Look what I missed out on:

post-4992-0-57428200-1374642844_thumb.jp

Thank goodness I'm nothing if not tenacious in my shopping. I didn't give up and went across the pond and searched until I found a similar item. Now I will have to put this one together, stain it and do my own needlepoint (first time for that) and attach it like the one in the first pic, but at least this one didn't get away completely.

post-4992-0-11458400-1374642885_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Well dang it just color me totally ticked off at me! I waited for 2 days to bid on a fabulous little item on eBay and then - fell asleep in front of the computer and missed it. But that's not the worst part, I actually woke up in time to get a bid in on it but didn't check the time and went to the kitchen to get some chips and dip and in that 10 minutes that I took in the kitchen I missed the close of the auction. I could just kick myself - TWICE! Look what I missed out on:

attachicon.gifneedlepoint frame.jpg

Thank goodness I'm nothing if not tenacious in my shopping. I didn't give up and went across the pond and searched until I found a similar item. Now I will have to put this one together, stain it and do my own needlepoint (first time for that) and attach it like the one in the first pic, but at least this one didn't get away completely.

attachicon.gifnwst_larkspur_roses_250.jpg

I like the one you got better than the one you originally wanted.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Roxie. I am glad your hand is healing up. It is so frustrating not to have full use of our hands. I agree, getting back to projects will likely be good for your hand, but take on projects slowly as you heal.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! Thanks Chris......I have been keeping a list of things I want to make.....its getting long! I can't lift or do a lot of heavy work but I am starting on the accessories slowly. I really NEED to make stuff!!!

Holly, I bought a room box with my 40% months ago thinking I might make an adobe scene since I moved the New Mexico last year ( a year ago today as a matter of fact) I am in love with the southwestern style. I live in a real adobe house. My question is to the Queen of Spackle what to use to make it look like adobe and how to apply it to the surface of the room box. I never did anything like that before and I know you are the expert! post-26465-0-21478100-1374675350_thumb.j
Here is a pic of the room box I will be using. I have been working on the furnishings. In my album you will see a little chair I made months ago and I know exactly where its going.
I am so happy to be back!!! Big Grin! :D

...My question is to the Queen of Spackle what to use to make it look like adobe and how to apply it to the surface of the room box. I never did anything like that before and I know you are the expert!...

Ha! That roombox kit was the foundation for a very early HBS Creatin' Contest and a lot of adobe was featured. My own major foray was in building and finishing La Casita, a 1:24 kit. After I glued it all together and primed it with flat white interior latex I masked off everything I didn't want to get spackle on:

gallery_8_1766_33913.jpg

Using a flat plastic putty spreader I spread spackle just like frosting a cake, about 1/8" thick all over the outside of the building and both sides of the wall, and along the top edges. While the spackle was wet I used the flat of the putty spreader and tapped all over the surface of the spackle to raise little points, and then I went back and patted them flatter with the same putty spreader:

gallery_8_1766_107489.jpg

After I finished the outside I went over the inside (except not the bathroom) with a spread of spackle MUCH thinner than on the outside:

gallery_8_1766_208484.jpg

and after all the spackle was dry I painted it with another coat of white interior latex paint, because that's the color it wanted to be. Then I removed all the tape, tiled the bathroom and hung the doors and installed the windows. All those little log ends were perfectly straight and even when I painstakingly glued them into place and tiptoed from the workroom to let them dry...

• Like 2

I didn't know that the room box was used in the creatin contest but I liked the arches and thought it looked a little southwestern. We have those arched doorways in the house. The outside walls are stucco but the inside are smooth whitewashed, tiled floors, wood trim. I like your tiled floor.....did you make the tiles? Out of what? I will have to make mine also. What did you mean by "pin-hinged?" My roombox won't have any doors or windows unless I figure out a way to make false windows.

I want to put a fireplace in and maybe use battery lights. I am not sure yet.

I think I described how I made all the tiles in the descriptions that go with the pictures. If not, those "terra-cotta" floor tiles began llife as a soft salmony-tan paper that was used as packing; I wadded it into as tight a wad as I could, several times, and then ironed it out, and then went nuts and dry-brushed raw sienna and yellow ochre all over it and cut it into little squares. I painted the floors grout color (except the bedroom floor, that's the one I used the iron-on red oak veneer). The bathroom "tiles" are all paint sample chips.

Well they look good! I was thinking I have small marbled scrapbook paper I might be able to do something with. I thought to glue the paper to thin cardboard, cut it into squares and glue them down. If I painted the floor first it might pass for grout? Going back to reread your post :)

• Like 1

I scribed flooring "planks" and pegs into the attic floor of my DFM Farmette (using the tip of a very small crochet hook and a push pin) stained it, and rubbed it down with paste wax. It is gorgeous--the lines and pegs darkened up nicely, and I love the color. There's a darker patch on one end; I figure that's where Tiffany Aching and Hermione Granger spilled the contents of a cauldron while they were learning a new spell.

It was a lot of work, but so cheap, and I like it better than anything I could have bought.

I had to set my micro-house aside to work on my SF, but got back to the micro last night. I really want to put wallpaper in it, but am finding it to be quite a challenge because the whole thing opens up - both the front and the back are hinged to swing open. Seemed like everything had to be done first! I finally decided to cut all the wallpaper for each wall individually, and fasten it to the wall with Glue Dots. So now I have the wallpaper in place, but haven't glued anything permanently. For such a tiny house this sure is taking a long time and a lot of work! But I love the little thing :)

• Like 1

Roxy, depending on how thick the cardboard you paste your paper on, you might want to seal them once they're in place and use a small syringe to apply grout. Not wanting to be picky, but I find using the painted floor for grout works great if I glue the paper "tiles" directly to it; using sandpaper for "bricks" is what gave me the idea.