What's everyone working on?

Concerning my Ashley:I'm finally getting the trim and the door painted. I've already primed everything else. It looks like a rainbow reject cuz I used whatever extra paint I had-it won't show under the stucco finish and brick veneer I'm making. I figure as long as it's sealed and has a smooth surface...Speaking of which,the door that comes with the Ashley is so crude! First of all,I always thought it was a pin-hung door. Oh, no-the 'pivots' are nubs that protrude from the top and bottom of the door and are inserted into top and bottom frame pieces,which are a crumbly mess. Consequently,this will not be an opening door! I'm not able to replace it,so I am just makin' lemonade! I sanded and painted the door twice and it still had ragged edges and the crude wood texture showed through. I want it to be sooo smooth,kinda like a metal door would be. So I sande one more time,applied some spackle and made sure I covered every gap and gouge on the front and back and the plywood edges. The door unit is a 'sandwich' type-it's in 2 parts and you put the window 'glass' in between,you know. I have a really cool piece of textured plastic for the door,the side lights,and the two 1st floor front windows and I'm crossing my fingers it works well. Still gotta decide how I want to do the dormer windows and the bay window on the side of the house. In a few days,I'll solicite suggestions from everyone. I have looked at stained glass ideas,here and elsewhere. I think I just want colored 'glass' panels around the outside edge of the side window,which is a nice size and needs to be left clear enough to let light in. And if you've ever seen or done a Duracraft Ashley,you are familiar with the pointed tip dormer windows.They are sorta charming,but sorta odd! :)

Finally getting a little more work done on the Harrison. Got the bay window and tower pieces in. Trying to decide now if I want to start on the exterior finish now (all but one piece is together for that), or continue with the other parts, partitions, stairs, etc.

Husband will be home tomorrow from his week-long trip, so I'm probably about to be at another standstill for a while...

Kat, any reaason you can't cut off the nubs and sand it smooth and use pins? You can fill in the holes in the door frame and stick the pins in there for a working door.

• Like 1

I did consider asking you guys for advice on open or closed front doors. I just got so darn frustrated with trying to get the surface of the door smooth before a final paint,that I was just going to give up on having it be a working door. Yeah,I can try to put pins in. If it's a flop I can still just glue it shut! I'm letting the second spackle coat dry until tomorrow. It was much better after the first coat and a sanding,but I'm obsessive...This is a good learning experience so that the Ashley kit under my bed won't sit there for 10+ yrs. like this one did. And maybe soon I can afford The Orchid-only now,I want The Arthur too! :ohyeah: Thanx so much,Holly!

That cracked me up,Holly! No,I was the one who was going to run and hide if anyone suggested that. I know I could do a decent job on a replacement door,but it would just be more of the same,as I want this particular style for the pizza and pasta...parlor,place,whatever! So I'll just work with it and try making pin hinges. But,yes,I may try a different door on the next one. I hesitate to go near that other Ashley kit,cuz it starts whispering and I gotta break a bad habit and follow through on things I have going-which is 2 other mini projects-not houses-and various little things.But,do need ideas for the bay window. I wondered if it should have the name on that window-but I haven't got the name yet!Gotta try to get some sleep-my eyes are tired from researching some of the galleries.Better miniing for all tomorrow!

Yesterday I bought some crackle medium at Walmart with no idea why. This morning I woke up thinking that it's about time I finish the Washington 2.0 that my goddaughter and I started several years ago -- umm, I just check my blog. Would you believe January 2008? It started out to be a farm house, but Mollie lost interest and I started collecting Hallowe'en items. So this morning I dig it out, dusted it off, and am hard at work on it. And would you believe, I'm not using the crackle medium after all, thanks to a happy accident!

It feels gooooood to have a dollhouse in my hands again!

• Like 1

I finally got started on my SF! After the dry-fit, the kit was finally brave enough to tell me what he really wanted. Something I haven't done before, but I really like the idea :)

• Like 1

Making good progress on my rowhouse front door! This turned into a lot of work but I'm happy with it. I'm using the Bespaq Newport door from Majestic Mansions, and I tried both the white version and the wood version but wasn't happy with either. What I needed was wood doors with a painted frame, and since I had both types of door already I ended up bashing them together. But the dimension were not the same so it wasn't a simple matter of slipping the doors from one into the frame from another (I wish it had been!) So that's where the work came in.

I broke one of my porch lights in the process but it still works and I think I managed to glue it back together (three cheers for super glue!) The door isn't completely finished yet but here's what I have right now. More pics and details on my blog.

post-7-0-67370600-1373155690_thumb.jpg post-7-0-88034700-1373155767_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I haven't gotten anything done for a few days. I crunched the bumper on my car and have been running around getting estimates.

However, my niece made her first blog entry on our blog; her first blog entry ever. She has finally gotten started on her Lily and she is very excited about it. She is 13 years old and I admit to getting her hooked on miniatures. If you have time and inclination, please stop by and cheer her on ~ link at the bottom of the post.

Making good progress on my rowhouse front door! This turned into a lot of work but I'm happy with it. I'm using the Bespaq Newport door from Majestic Mansions, and I tried both the white version and the wood version but wasn't happy with either. What I needed was wood doors with a painted frame, and since I had both types of door already I ended up bashing them together. But the dimension were not the same so it wasn't a simple matter of slipping the doors from one into the frame from another (I wish it had been!) So that's where the work came in.

I broke one of my porch lights in the process but it still works and I think I managed to glue it back together (three cheers for super glue!) The door isn't completely finished yet but here's what I have right now. More pics and details on my blog.

attachicon.gifrowhouse324.jpg attachicon.gifrowhouse326.jpg

Emily, I enjoyed seeing your photos of your progress on your blog. Your house is amazing!

For her first blog entry Hannah comes across as an old hand! I'm looking forward to reading her career as a miniaturist.

Thank you, Holly. Hannah is a very accomplished girl in so many ways. I'm so proud of her!

Hannah's entry was very delightful to read and it's so nice to know that she will help influence a whole new generation of miniaturists! Looking forward to more entries and following y'all's progress! Kat

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris and Gail! She's coming along. :) When I look back at the pictures of the shell I bought I'm kind of amazed the house started out so plain...

• Like 1

Thanks, Chris and Gail! She's coming along. :) When I look back at the pictures of the shell I bought I'm kind of amazed the house started out so plain...

Plain no more! It has blossomed into a beauty.