What's everyone working on?

Door's done! And I got the last windows into the bay, so the entire front of the house is done now. I'll post a blog tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek...

post-7-0-17975400-1373409746_thumb.jpg post-7-0-49760700-1373409796_thumb.jpg post-7-0-64984700-1373409722_thumb.jpg post-7-0-21059500-1373409774_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Emily, that is gorgeous!

This weekend I gesso'd the outside walls of my Farmette/witches' house. Made an 'appointment' with my dad to cut out some extra window openings on the side tomorrow. Sure, I could do it, eventually, with my hand tools, but he has a workshop full of power tools and he's always looking for projects, so why not? I'm cutting the extra windows because I'm not going to electrify it--just too much ,only and work for a free kit--so I'm trying to let in a little more light. The original kit only has three windows on the front sections.

I had a 20% code at miniatures.com, so I did invest in 5 matching windows and a front door. The kit I was given had a Hoseworks door frame, but no door, and pieces of two or maybe three windows. It also had a complete square dormer window, so I am using that on the attic story. One of the boxes I was given is labeled "Farmette dormer" but there is no dormer, nor pieces for it, and the pic of the original house on the box doesn't show a dormer, so I'm not planning to fuss with one. I am, however, going to add a porch roof. My witches will need places for their owls and crows to perch, and the young witches-in-training will need a way to sneak out on full moon nights!

I finished the flooring in my Storybook cottage and hope to finish the siding completely tomorrow if the rain lets up here... It is located in the shop outside which I didn't quite feel like slogging through the current deluge to get to. Thankful however that I'm not getting flooded like so many around here.

• Like 2

Door's done! And I got the last windows into the bay, so the entire front of the house is done now. I'll post a blog tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek...

attachicon.gifrowhouse345.jpg attachicon.gifrowhouse343.jpg attachicon.gifrowhouse338.jpg attachicon.gifrowhouse346.jpg

Wow! Your house is gorgeous. I know that was a lot of hard work......bravo!

Gail :bear:

Emily, I agree your work is fantastic and the house is going to be a sure stunner! For myself I was finally able to finish the siding on the Storybook Cottage as well as prime the interior. Right now I'm at my "inside" work space -- specifically the craft table in the living room working at papering a little display box I got at Goodwill a while back. Just have one half wall left to do, and then I'll be gluing up my scratch made display case that will go in it. This one's been fairly straight forward to work on but has had a few quirks. I'll be glad to get these projects finished up enough to have room for my dollhouses getting here next week! :construction:

• Like 1

My husband took me to Ernie's Attic today. :) He's so sweet.

I got a couple lights, some stairs and porch steps, and some high-end furniture for $5/ea (bed, vanity, I already have the matching sofa from a previous visit).

But the best thing was a half-scale RGT Colonial built and finished, for $22!! I've really been itching for a new house lately, so this made me happy! Now I need to go dig and see what furniture I have in my stash...

• Like 6

But the best thing was a half-scale RGT Colonial built and finished, for $22!! I've really been itching for a new house lately, so this made me happy! Now I need to go dig and see what furniture I have in my stash...

That's great! Got pictures?

• Like 1

I'm transferring them over now, I'll have them in my Mini Treasures Album in a few minutes.

Here's the picture of Ernie's Attic from the website, the house I got is the white one on the far right. They actually had 2 of them, so there's still another left.

http://www.miniatures.com/Ernies-Attic-is-Now-Open-W1637.aspx

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=2706

gallery_3297_2706_188847.jpg

• Like 3

I love your house, stunning! The doors came out great, your hard work paid off. Well I started wiring the VH600 and it is going quite well so far. Does anyone else find it nerve racking trying to figure where all your tape runs should be so you don't forget any lights somewhere? That is my biggest fear right now. I added the battery powered doorbell with no issues yet. Now I have ordered parts to build florescent shop lights for the garage, can't wait to start that project. Pictures in my gallery soon. I plan to cover my foundation with egg carton bricks can anyone give me some advise on the proper size of the bricks? When I convert the scale they seam very small. I figure a full size brick is about 2" X 8" so that would make my mini brick about 1/4" X 5/8" does that sound right?

• Like 1

Cheryl,I make brick 'veneer' for walls and floors by scribing into thin foam from takeout boxes,meat/produce trays,etc,and when I looked up brick sizes there were so many variables (types and sizes galore),I just did what looks good to me! The most standard RL brick I could come up with in my search is 7 5/8"x 3 5/8" x 21/4",the last number being depth. Until last year I lived in a brick house for 27 years and never got around to measuring the bricks! But,after absentmindedly seeing them every day for that long,I went with 1/4" x 1/2" because it looks good to me in mini and is easy to measure. Once it's painted and grouted,it looks very real. Of course,this is just what I do for my brickwork. Others who have done other kinds of brickwork will have different advice for you.

When I decided to brick the exterior lower half of the Glencroft pub we were touring Ft Morgan, so I borrowed the tape measure DH constantly carries with him and measured the bricks it was built from. I don't remember wwhat the measurements of the 1:1 brick were, but when I dinided everything by 12 it worked out to 1/3" X 1/6" and I went for the closest fractions in 1/16" to draw the grids on the back of sandpaper; later, when I ran across my transparent printer's ruler, I learned that my original measurements worked out to 2 picas by 1 pica, and that's what I'll use to make future bricks.

I got the inspiration to make sandpaper bricks from Beryl Armstrong's book How to Make Your Dolls' House Special. I painted the surface the color I wanted my grout to be and then glued the bricks on. Tedious? You betcha! But I like how it looks:

gallery_8_151_53121.jpg

• Like 2

I took a break from my rowhouse yesterday to put together some kits for my Little House in the Big Woods cabin -- a washstand, mirror, candle holder, and spinning wheel. They went together easily and I'm happy with the results. The washstand stained kind of unevenly but hey, you don't get much more rustic than an 1800s log cabin. :lol:

The house is more or less done so I'll put up a gallery here in a little bit.

post-7-0-37878900-1373840050_thumb.jpg post-7-0-84211900-1373840047_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It's 1:24! I'd been looking all over for a half scale spinning wheel and was really glad when I came across this kit. I think it's new.

I got mine at Molly's House (but it's also available straight from Jane Harrop's website). I thought the price and shipping from Molly's House was very reasonable, considering it's coming from the UK. And that site has a ton of other great 1:24 stuff, too.

I have been reupholstering some old floral couches (pictures are in the gallery). I love how they turned out. Now I plan on changing the rest of the couches I have collected over the years.

• Like 1

They came out great, Sam!

I have been trying to make some wallpaper decisions. There is much I know what I want to do, but that tiny hall... I'm working on it. Here's one idea:

post-6356-0-79727200-1373930211_thumb.jp

I borrowed furniture from another house because it won't just be a bare wall there. Is it too dark with this paper? I'll have to play with some brighter wallpaper. This one looks kind of sweet and antique-y.

I'm also trying to figure out if I want to get brave and try wiring.

• Like 3