What's everyone working on?

Oh wow! I just watched a little video about it. So far, I have done everything without power tools, just a razor, sandpaper, and a screwdriver have been my tools. Now that I have a little building experience, I am ready to expand. This is now on my " I WANT!" list. Last year, DH bought me a chainsaw for my birthday, maybe this coming birthday, I can get a mini-power tool. Anything else I should ask for?

Check out the thread "Are you obsessed by power tools" for some ideas. It's on page 3 of general mini talk.

• Like 1

I put up the front panels to Morningside Mansion since the "awkward" detail was resolved. Have to unwarp the 2nd floor ceiling/3rd floor floor. It tilts up at the back so it doesn't even touch. If this were a modern house I could put in a skate board jump!

I am starting some landscaping while waiting for trim to come in. Otherwise, I would be trimming windows. I just finished making my first 8" of upper and lower kitchen cabinets. It's been a long winter.

Marg

Spending all of that time working on the Imagination House for the fundraiser really made me want to dive back into my fairy house. Even though it has been a really busy week at work, I was able to find time today to build a drying rack for lavender, some storage jars, and a mantle. I am not happy with the mantle, though and plan to rebuild it entirely.

post-6356-0-42987000-1363824691_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thank you, Holly.This was my first attempt at building a dollhouse and using egg cartons and paper clay. The charred interior with embers is made of egg cartons. I didn't enjoy working with them, so I decided to try paper clay, which I ended up loving. So what you are seeing is my first attempt of making paper clay stones. For the fireplace and chimney, I made each stone individually and glued them on. By the time I got to the exterior of the house and stonework on the rear of the fireplace and the foundation, I figured out how to glue a slab of paper clay on the surface first, then carve out the stones. All of the stonework on this house have grout between the stones.

I had a lot of fun painting them!

• Like 1

:idea: ...I'm working on my store front & I was thinking about how to do the brackets. I think some of the commercial ones are sliced from full size molding. I thought - what if I use the embossed moldings & slice them up in between the designs? This would create a more sculpted look?

60a0e872-8207-4763-b8b1-f66d066e7968_300c026bc13-732a-4a97-b82e-17c276bbcf34_300

Some of the moldings are sold by the foot, some in 8' to 12' lengths...not sure if they will cut the long pieces.

Embossed Tiny Trim sliced into brackets. The one on the right looks more like a small shelf?

gallery_4762_6212_127405.png

Another idea - a little pricey...

8b573821-c491-49d3-aecf-450f0ebe5d5e_300

Take this pair & glue them back to back - then cut it to size, if needed.

• Like 3

:idea: ...I'm working on my store front & I was thinking about how to do the brackets. I think some of the commercial ones are sliced from full size molding. I thought - what if I use the embossed moldings & slice them up in between the designs? This would create a more sculpted look?

60a0e872-8207-4763-b8b1-f66d066e7968_300c026bc13-732a-4a97-b82e-17c276bbcf34_300

Some of the moldings are sold by the foot, some in 8' to 12' lengths...not sure if they will cut the long pieces.

Another idea - a little pricey...

8b573821-c491-49d3-aecf-450f0ebe5d5e_300

Take this pair & glue them back to back - then cut it to size, if needed.

I'm making corbels for my build-along by cutting some of the narrow moldings I got at Home Depot. They are just the right size when I take slices off the large piece.

• Like 1

The slices of milled trim look like fancy brackets, and you could use the long edges under shelves or a mantel, as well. I'd be curious to see what you have in mind for the triangular motives; I can imagine at least three or four pieces you could get from each one, depending on what you use to slice them up.

... I'd be curious to see what you have in mind for the triangular motives; I can imagine at least three or four pieces you could get from each one, depending on what you use to slice them up.

...exactly - cut them up in various ways to save some money :) & not all the pieces have to be for the brackets.

Hi everyone, Wow, it's been a long time since I was last here. Just wanted to tell you all that I've started working on the Magnolia a few days ago and have the windows and doors all prepared and the house is almost together. Well it's beginning to look like a dollhouse. I'm excited to be back building again and this is such a gorgeous house. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

The slices of milled trim look like fancy brackets, and you could use the long edges under shelves or a mantel, as well. I'd be curious to see what you have in mind for the triangular motives; I can imagine at least three or four pieces you could get from each one, depending on what you use to slice them up.

They also work as display shelves (cut different widths) and window cornices.

Thanks Kathie and Holly, I've missed you all too. Everything seems new now, I had to go to the 135 page of this forum to find the last post. Is that normal? Or do I have the change something in the settings? I remember when the last person who wrote was the first post you saw when you opened up that particular forum. Thanks for any help!

.....Everything seems new now, I had to go to the 135 page of this forum to find the last post. Is that normal? Or do I have the change something in the settings? I remember when the last person who wrote was the first post you saw when you opened up that particular forum. Thanks for any help!

When you're looking at the list of threads in the forum, it shows who commented last and there is a time stamp under their name. Just click the time stamp and it will bring you to the most recent comment. Also, when you've opened up the thread at the top left of the page it lists the page numbers, you can click the >> to get to the very last page or << for the first etc. On the top right is a button that says "go to the first unread post" so you can start where you left off too :)

Hope that helps make navigation easier!

Welcome back and I look forward to seeing your build progress :)

Thanks A. Wright, I've been doing the >> thing to get here. Maybe there is an ascending or descending button somewhere that can switch it around for me. Lots of fun things going on and I can't wait to go through everyone's albums.

Thanks again.

I did it! I was finally able to get some significant work done on the Bungalow today :banana: Got the wallpaper done in the kitchen...it's just one wall because it's such a bold paper; now I just have to find the right white for the other two walls to go with it. I made a decision on the fireplace wall for the main living room I'm going with a simple brick fireplace with the HBS bookcases on either side. I really liked the Petite Properties cabinets I got, but they looked a little too big. I'm sure they will find another home :bigwink: My biggest accomplishment was the floor for the living room. I took Holly's advice and used some wood veneer strips; I love it! Of course I forgot that I was putting in a "tile" area by the front door so I had to cut part of it, then I got the cut part too big so I had to patch some. All in all a fab day!

• Like 2

I LOVE the fireplace with bookcases on each side. I also love little windows above the bookcases. I design this into alot of my scratch builds.

I got a Beacon Hill rehab and am starting the adventure of a rehab. I'm really looking forward to it. I welcome any rehab advice.