What's everyone working on?

I haven't been in here in a while, but I have actually done some mini work over the past few days.

I'm still working on the MacKenzie's replacement first floor deck and porch. I'm tempted to bring it to CI to work on before and after the show each day, but I doubt anyone would want to see a deck without a house. Maybe my time would be better spent working on the Tudor. . .

I haven't been in here in a while, but I have actually done some mini work over the past few days.

I'm still working on the MacKenzie's replacement first floor deck and porch. I'm tempted to bring it to CI to work on before and after the show each day, but I doubt anyone would want to see a deck without a house. Maybe my time would be better spent working on the Tudor. . .

Does this mean you've been feeling better? *hopes*

Finally finished the roof on the RGT house. Just two more stories below to go! I am happy with the way it turned out, first time shingling. I had put spackle on bristol paper, painted gray, cut into a bazillion shingles, then glued. I like the way some of the edges chipped making it look a lot like slate.

I am doing raked fieldstone on the exterior walls, it does look kind of dark on the gable walls in this picture, but it isn't quite that dark. I want this house to be a happily haunted old house. Mysterious looking without being too scary.

post-15347-0-41997000-1365952429_thumb.j

• Like 5

Spackle on bristol! Who'd a thunk it? Wowsers, did it ever turn out great! Did you do the fieldstone the same way, or is that paperclay?

Thanks! Fieldstone is just torn up egg cartons. The raked fieldstone that you see here in New England is put together like a jigsaw puzzle. You can barely see the mortar inbetween the stones. That is what I am doing here, just fitting the "stones" in like a puzzle. I found that the part of the carton that holds the individual eggs is the best for the stones. It is jagged and rough. For the granite around the windows (and will be on the edges of the house) the smooth part of the carton worked best.

• Like 1

Love the slate shingles Patricia! They turned out great! And sounds pretty easy, I'll have to stash that idea away. :)

I thought it was going to be easy, too! THere are some things I would do differently. I would not bother to paint the sheet with the spackle on it first. I would just cut out the shingles and glue a whole row and then paint. The problem is that once you cut - the edges are all white, so you have to retouch every shingle. Maybe a dark color added to the spackle might work. Also, when you cut, sometimes the spackle chips totally off the shingle instead of just a little corner, so make a lot more than you need.

• Like 1

I thought it was going to be easy, too! THere are some things I would do differently. I would not bother to paint the sheet with the spackle on it first. I would just cut out the shingles and glue a whole row and then paint. The problem is that once you cut - the edges are all white, so you have to retouch every shingle. Maybe a dark color added to the spackle might work. Also, when you cut, sometimes the spackle chips totally off the shingle instead of just a little corner, so make a lot more than you need.

Great tips! Thanks! :)

Someone here did mix a bit of paint into spackle (it wasn't me) and I had forgotten all about it! That would eliminate the white edges, all right. I meant to ask what you used to cut your slates, and what stage of dry was the spackle.

• Like 1

Someone here did mix a bit of paint into spackle (it wasn't me) and I had forgotten all about it! That would eliminate the white edges, all right. I meant to ask what you used to cut your slates, and what stage of dry was the spackle.

I just used an old pair of scissors to cut with. I tried a craft knife, but for some reason it caused way too much chipping. I cut when the spackle was pretty dry, but not quite all the way. It still had a "cold" feeling too it. Not sure how to explain that. I left one sheet uncut until it was dry all the way and that was more brittle for cutting, but the shingles still came out okay.

• Like 1

The slate roof technique you used came out perfectly! I was wondering what it was going to look like when you mentioned it in an earlier post and was looking forward to seeing what you did. It is impressive! Your egg carton stonework also looks great. You are doing a great job of creating the look you are going for.

The slate roof technique you used came out perfectly! I was wondering what it was going to look like when you mentioned it in an earlier post and was looking forward to seeing what you did. It is impressive! Your egg carton stonework also looks great. You are doing a great job of creating the look you are going for.

Thanks, Chris! I am having fun with this. This RGT build along is really just an experimental house for me. Since I have never built a dh - there are so many things I wanted to try out on it. It is coming along the way I had pictured it in my head when I first saw the kit. Now I just have to practice making people to the 1:24 scale. I keep making the heads too big!

• Like 1

Went to the mini garage sale at Miniature Designs yesterday. Found a new junction splice, just what I needed to fix my lights, and now I have lights again in my Beacon Hill! Yay! :)

I also got 2 plastic tubs of parts, they labeled it a "mystery kit". A lot of the other customers were a little freaked out that I would buy them, they were real nervous about me putting it together. But they were clearly Greenleaf parts, I wasn't worried, looked fun to me, I knew I'd be able to ID it and get instructions. ANd for $10 for both boxes, I knew I'd be able to use something! And the employees understood, and even said that since I was "greenleaf capable" (guess that's a special skill??) I would be fine with it. But the other shoppers were worried and telling me good luck...

Anyhow, when I got them home I opened the boxes, one box was the parts from the Beacon Hill, the other was the McKinley! So 2 kits, not one. It's everything but the big floor and wall pieces, but those will be easy enough to cut myself. Everything is punched, sanded, labeled, and sorted into baggies. So actually, I'm half thinking about just using those parts for the remainder of my BH: windows, porch, and all the trim, since it's already all prepared.

• Like 1

Does this mean you've been feeling better? *hopes*

I'm not 100%, but imroving every day. As long as my surgeon doesn't throw a wrench in my plans tomorrow, I will be on the road early Tuesday.

Patricia,

Excellent work on the roof.

Having spent the last three weeks dealing with pneumonia (and still making slow recovery progress) I haven't been able to do much on the White Rose or big Tennyson. But I did find that while flat on my back I could do the tedious computer work of sizing and compiling book covers and other printies, and I've cut out about 100 half scale book covers for books to fill my office in the Rose.

This place has been great for ongoing cheer and inspiration. It's great to see what everyone is doing even if I'll be playing catch up later. :)

• Like 4

Having spent the last three weeks dealing with pneumonia (and still making slow recovery progress) I haven't been able to do much on the White Rose or big Tennyson. But I did find that while flat on my back I could do the tedious computer work of sizing and compiling book covers and other printies, and I've cut out about 100 half scale book covers for books to fill my office in the Rose.

This place has been great for ongoing cheer and inspiration. It's great to see what everyone is doing even if I'll be playing catch up later. :)

Sorry you've been so sick. Pneumonia takes awhile to get over and finally get feeling like you have some spunk again. We'll be looking forward to pictures once you start catching up!