Are You Obsessed?Addicted to Mini Power Tools?

Mad for Mod

I began with one Dremel flexmotor tool; now I have two or three plus a B&D knockoff, plus a Dremel power sander and a Trio and a Stylus. Then there's DH's bandsaw and scrollsaw and lathe (I haven't gotten my mini lathe set up yet, still waiting on a workshop...) and my mini table saw (because he turns a truly icky shade of greenish-gray when I ask to use his big one) and my router table and drillpress accessories for my Dremels....

One trick is NEVER get "comfortable" around a power tool. Respect that you can do awfuller things MUCH faster to your body than with hand tools (and I've done some "interesting" things with hand tools) and USE the safety precautions & gear that's recommended! That said, do not fear the power tool! You can do so much more, and more quickly!

• Like 2

I have two Dremels, these things are wonderful. A Dremel table scroll saw that I used recently to cut out pieces for a custom build. I also have a couple different sanders and some jigsaws. I don' t know if I'm obsessed, I've taken that word from my dictionary. Please do remember, always, SAFETY FIRST when using power tools.

YES! SAFETY FIRST! I always use eye protection and keep my fingers as far away from the blades as possible. Also, I make sure I don't use dull blades, they can still do a lot of damage. I saw the dremel scroll saw at Lowes the other day. Has anyone used one?

Mine isn't a Dremel, Cyd; but once you master the art of inserting the blade so it doesn't wobble or break they are wonderful for fiddly cutting. I first used ours with my second Sugarplum Cottage, when I replaced the chipboard "timbering" with stripwood and I had to cut new bench sides. If you're any good with a sewing machine, you'll find some similarities in both operation, performance AND safety precautions!

Addicted to power tools - me - never :noway:

I have a bridge I can sell ya too .... hahahaha

I have way too many power tools and have a really bad reputation for hanging out in the hardware/tool depts.

Folks mentioned being afraid of power tools.

I've had the advantage of growing up in my Dad's workshop so have always been around them.

He taught me from a young age to respect and use them wisely.

In fact, the worst accidents I have had are with an X-acto or box cutter knives or the kitchen knives.

I have a thing for getting stitches in my left thumb from knives.

I have no feeling in the thumb pad anymore.

I think the difference in a mental thing. I respect the power in the power tools and am thus more careful.

A plain old knife doesn't give me enough fear to trigger the respect for it's injury capability.

If you really want to learn power tools, see if you have a tech or vocational school in your area that offers adult education classes for shop. They are usually wonderful. I've taken many classes over the years.

They have many other kinds of classes too, including other things like photography, macrobiotic cooking, watercolors, pastels, knitting, quilting, cake decorating, etc. I always come away learning so much and they are usually quite reasonable priced.

My wish list still has a super high quality scroll saw on it. I'm still saving my pennies for the one I want.

I use my band saw, jig saws and Trio in place of having one but one of these days, I'm gonna have one for real.

I watched what Wolfie did with hers and became so curious that I can't let the idea go.

I say go for it ... power tools rock !!!!

PS. What is the box thing at the bottom of this page that talks about tagging things with keywords? I've not seen it before and I'm not great with fancy-schmancy tech stuff.

• Like 1

Selkie, Logan is tricking up this upgrade with all sorts of techie bells & whistles so the folks who play computer on their cell phones can do all the fun things we who barely understand our computers and use cell phones only for telephone calls can't begin to appreciate.

Selkie, Logan is tricking up this upgrade with all sorts of techie bells & whistles so the folks who play computer on their cell phones can do all the fun things we who barely understand our computers and use cell phones only for telephone calls can't begin to appreciate.

Holly, I'm glad there is someone else in the universe who only uses their cell phone for phone calls.

I needed to get a new charger cord for mine and the young man behind the counter went into hysterical gales of laughter when he looked at my phone. He said "I've never actually seen one of those old style phone before" and "no, they don't make chargers for them anymore". I just walked away. Eventually found a charger somewhere else but was not impressed with being made mock of by the young twit. Guess I'm just too old .... sigh ...

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't mind what others do, I just wish that people would respect other's choices too.

While I look like a old lady, what with my gray hair, crooked fingers, and wobbly knees, I am a very busy lady.

My husband and I run our business. I do the books, ordering, decorating, and repair the computers.

We are raising 3 grandchildren (have 2 others we see a lot too).

I just put on a 90th b'day party for my MIL with over 100 people at it.

I take care of all the decorations and flowers for our church, I sew, knit, crochet, do minis, do other kinds of woodworking, decorate cakes, garden, cook, clean, etc. etc.

But, by appearances, I look old and stupid.

So sometimes I just get ticked off when people don't wait to find out that I have a brain.

It's all about respecting others.

Anyhoo- to get back on topic ...

POWER TOOLS ROCK !!!!