What's everyone working on?

Its like Christmas!!! I am busy unpacking my minis which have been in boxes for about a year!!! Later today I am going into town and look around in the second hand shops for something to work in or on. Wish me luck!!!

• Like 1

Hey Holly!!!

I apologize for posting twice but I am not use to this editor and I have to learn to use the site all over again! It seems like we have been moving all over the place!!! I never imagined I would be living in northern New Mexico but here I am and its magical......I love it!

I missed my minis and am slowly getting my stuff out of storage and boxes. Unfortunately I injured the middle finger on my right hand and will have to have surgery next month. I hope to get back to building something one way or another. I have it in mind to do an adobe style house since I live in a real adobe! I still have 9 other fingers to use right? Hugs for all my old friends I missed you guys!

Edited by Roxxie2

We LOVE all of New Mexico, although we only got to pass through there once. We loved both NM AND AZ; the scenery is fantastic and the hiking and paddling opportunities make us want to go back one day. At one time DS#2 & his wife were ready to move out west, but that fizzled with the economy.

Holly, I live in a truely amazing place. I live outside of Taos in the Sangre De Cristo mountians. I live out in the sage desert, not a tree in sight!!!

All around me are beautiful snow covered mountains. I live at a very high altitude over 7,000 ft actually closer to 8,000. Cooking and baking have been my new challenge since I got here. Things do NOT work the same! I am inspired daily by the beauty I see all around me and have had a ball exploring, hiking, rafting etc. I traveled out here many years ago and never imagined I would be living here now. Its fantastic!

My camera has gotten a work out so maybe I will post some pictures when I figure out how to use the gallery.
I never made it into town today. I took a long walk with the dog out into the desert instead.

• Like 1

Spent the last three days hooked to an I.V., so I haven't worked on anything since Monday. Hope to work on the Victorian's repairs tomorrow night.

Yikes, Jeremy! Hope you're feeling better real soon!

I finally finished the faux flooring on my Imagination House. My first effort at this a month or so ago was disastrous. Last week, I decided I had nothing to lose by attempting to repaint the floor and was delighted to find that the results look much better than in original failed attempt. Today I finished the second and third floor faux flooring.

Tomorrow I can finally put the entire house together. :banana: WOOT!

I finally finished the faux flooring on my Imagination House. My first effort at this a month or so ago was disastrous. Last week, I decided I had nothing to lose by attempting to repaint the floor and was delighted to find that the results look much better than in original failed attempt. Today I finished the second and third floor faux flooring.

Tomorrow I can finally put the entire house together. :banana: WOOT!

Yay!! :)

Yesterday I tore up three egg cartons, made a bunch of field stone looking rocks and got them glue on. Painted one section so far and am really happy with the way it is coming out. I'm painting/highlighting each rock. I know.....I'm a nut case, but there are so many little raised edges and deeper grooves in some of the "stones", so I want them each highlighted separately. I used to do pen & ink with watercolors years ago and so this is reminding me of those kind of detailed paintings. I just spent a couple of hours "zoned out"!

• Like 2

Yesterday I tore up three egg cartons, made a bunch of field stone looking rocks and got them glue on. Painted one section so far and am really happy with the way it is coming out. I'm painting/highlighting each rock. I know.....I'm a nut case, but there are so many little raised edges and deeper grooves in some of the "stones", so I want them each highlighted separately. I used to do pen & ink with watercolors years ago and so this is reminding me of those kind of detailed paintings. I just spent a couple of hours "zoned out"!

I don't blame you for painting them all individually, sometimes that's needed for the wanted effect. It is going to be so worth it though! I kinda like doing tedious things like that (sometimes!). :)

I don't blame you for painting them all individually, sometimes that's needed for the wanted effect. It is going to be so worth it though! I kinda like doing tedious things like that (sometimes!). :)

Well - there are tedious things that I enjoy doing and then there are the "other" tedious things that I hate doing. Top of my list is sanding!!! Hate the feel of it, hate the mess, just the sound of the grating sandpaper makes me get goose bumps! Okay - guess I can add neurotic to my list of problems! :)

• Like 1

Hate the feel of it, hate the mess, just the sound of the grating sandpaper makes me get goose bumps! Okay - guess I can add neurotic to my list of problems! :)

Hahahaha! If that is a sign of neurosis, count me in.

Hahahaha! If that is a sign of neurosis, count me in.

Nice to have company as they come for me in the little white coats! Really - I think this hobby is bringing out all my little quirks. Maybe you have to have these quirks in order to be so detailed with so many things when putting together a mini house!

• Like 1

I am painting wood strips for the wall treatment in the scullery. I just received my kits from Petite Properties for kitchen and scullery so have those to complete. Anxious for the Phoenix stove to come. It will be a tight fit into the fireplace(from Petite) opening.

• Like 1

I decided yesterday to make another half for the Piping Monkey Inn--it will fold together on hinges, and doubled the space so need to make more furniture--Yah! Still have to sand and paint the window trims, and figure out the scullery walls. This is the house for kids to play with so the furniture and such are sturdy. I found a giraffe print fabric that looks like medieval stone walls. Having fun and running out of space!

• Like 1

Trying to get the Victorian's foundation / yard back to show quality. Mostly working between groggy periods. I've been thinking about what to call the house. I have used all three names it goes by locally, Victorian B&B, The MacKenzie House and Sweetwater Branch Inn. Which one sounds best to everyone else? It would be easier to use just one title for it from now on.

Trying to get the Victorian's foundation / yard back to show quality. Mostly working between groggy periods. I've been thinking about what to call the house. I have used all three names it goes by locally, Victorian B&B, The MacKenzie House and Sweetwater Branch Inn. Which one sounds best to everyone else? It would be easier to use just one title for it from now on.

I like the Sweetwater Inn, but the others are good also.

So many of you lovely people talk about your dolls and what they want. I didn't take you seriously. I have been working on my Orchid, dry fit and got the floors stained. I just couldn't make decisions about how to divide and finish the house. Soooooo I made a doll. Just the head and pipecleaners so far. His name is Jay and the house is really falling together now. He knows where he wants to live! I made spirial stairs so there would be more room in the house.

I know the feeling. Holly is always talking about the house "telling" you what it wants. Now I know what she means! As for the dolls - when I made my Museum of Miniature I decided it should have a curator - one doll - just any old doll, male or female, didn't matter. So I went doll-shopping. I found one that our own Wolfie made and he was perfect for the job. But once I got him, I placed him on the shelf near me as I worked - oh, my! Did he have some stories to tell! Turns out he's not just the "curator" - he's the founder and owner! It all makes this hobby more fun :) If you want to hear his story, check out my Gallery, the Museum of Miniatures Album. :bookread:

• Like 1

I'm still working on little projects. Now making 2 roomboxes, identical, one for me and one for my half-sister. Just found out she likes minis :) While waiting for the lights to arrive I'm working on the little log cabins that will be "dollhouses" in the front of the scene. Turns out these are really smaller than the 1:144 I was expecting; I think it's a1:160 scale, maybe 1:192. There's only 1/10 of an inch difference in those two. Anyhow, they are tiny! But loads of fun! I'm also learning/practicing some Paper Tole techniques on this project. Here's the picture of the cabins - more in my gallery:

• Like 5