What's everyone working on?

Yes - I could do that, but I have another confession to make. While I hate sanding - the feel of it, etc., the other thing I hate that is right up there at the top of my list is getting "glop" on my hands! If it requires mushing the newspaper and wallpaper paste together with my hands - forget it! This is truly odd, because in 20 years of nursing (well - I won't go into details here) I had to deal with a lot of "stuff" and it never phased me. There is something definitely wrong with me! :ohmy:

Patricia, I soooooo can't stand the thought of getting sticky I can't even read a description of it in a book. Mud? No problem. Engine oil? Fine. Sticky, don't even go there! You are not alone in having a challenge like this. And there is nothing wrong with you. I think we all have our little challenges.

Yes - I could do that, but I have another confession to make. While I hate sanding - the feel of it, etc., the other thing I hate that is right up there at the top of my list is getting "glop" on my hands! If it requires mushing the newspaper and wallpaper paste together with my hands - forget it! This is truly odd, because in 20 years of nursing (well - I won't go into details here) I had to deal with a lot of "stuff" and it never phased me. There is something definitely wrong with me! :ohmy:

Do you wear gloves when working on minis? That may be the difference between getting "stuff" on your gloved hand and "glop" on your bare hands. I use gloves when working with chemicals that are either corrosive or stick beyond regular glue. Getting epoxy or resin off of your hands is nearly impossible without some pretty strong solvents. I learned my lesson the first time I worked with Disney putty- it burned right through my shirt, gloves and several layers of skin before I realized what was happening. Xylene is a bit easier to notice- within 3 to 5 minutes of contact it smokes and the gloves bubble before they melt off, but I don't use that type of paint on minis.

I'm still working on my roomboxes, making two identical at the same time. I got the kit I sent for with instructions for Paper Tole, so I'm studying that while I incorporate bits of it into this build. I must pursue that - it looks like so much fun! I had the wrong size LED lights for the micro cabins going into the roomboxes so had to wait for the new order to arrive. Finally making some progress now.

If I could just put everything else aside and work on this all day and all evening, I might get it finished!

• Like 1

Well, I bought quite a few pebbles today and came home and ...

I know someone with a Forklift. I put the pebbles in a burlap bag and he crushed them with the forklift for me.

Neighbor said it was fun destroying something, instead of being "NEAT."

Why did I do this you ask? I'm going to use it outside of my church for the walkway. Or I might use it on the porch somehow. This is a beautiful process and I'm anxious to use it. Thus, my collecting is still exciting to me.

Hyacinth

• Like 1

I put the final details on my Imagination House and planted the planters. It is amazing how much cuter the house looks with its flowers. It's going to be a bit harder to part with than I thought it would. :sad_2:

post-6356-0-79625400-1363211104_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Chris,

I think that if I lived in civilization I would have had it done already but alas I live in the wilds of New Mexico in the middle of the very definition of NOWHERE! I keep it splinted in a homemade splint since the local doctor didn't even suggest one. I see a surgeon the end of this month but then will probably have to wait again for it to be fixed. What did they do to yours to fix the tendon? Did it take a long time to heal? I am worried. I play piano and flute and of course work on minis and haven't been able to do anything for a while. I am worried they won't be able to fix it so I can use it again.

Chris,

I think that if I lived in civilization I would have had it done already but alas I live in the wilds of New Mexico in the middle of the very definition of NOWHERE! I keep it splinted in a homemade splint since the local doctor didn't even suggest one. I see a surgeon the end of this month but then will probably have to wait again for it to be fixed. What did they do to yours to fix the tendon? Did it take a long time to heal? I am worried. I play piano and flute and of course work on minis and haven't been able to do anything for a while. I am worried they won't be able to fix it so I can use it again.

Roxxie, don't want to scare you, but tendons take a long time to heal. It is possible for it to heal completely if it isn't completely torn loose, but it will take a while and lots of PT. I tore some of the fibrous connections in the tendons attached to my left ring and pinky fingers the 2nd time I got hit by a car in 2002. PT made a huge difference, but cold weather brings back the occasional ache. Playing piano and bagpipes is back to normal, but I still can't grip as tightly with my left hand as I used to. I would rather break another bone than tear soft tissue. At least my motorcycle survived without injuries. :p

Chris,

The tendon on my finger just had to be immobilized in a splint until it healed, then I did PT exercises to stretch it back out again and regain range of motion. My thumb tendons had to be sewn back up and a pin was put in. That was a longer thing to heal up and took months of PT to rehab. I think you are doing the right thing by splinting. You should be able to get a decent finger splint at someplace like CVS. I am back to playing piano and guitar.

I can so understand about being in the middle of nowhere. I used to live in Rough Rock, AZ. About 50 miles from Farmington or Gallup, NM where I could get groceries or go to a movie, drug store, etc. I am sorry you have to wait so long to get it looked into.

I've finished the two little cabins for my roomboxes. Next step is to connect all the wiring and hide the battery! With an open format on the box I'm still batting ideas around for hiding it - I'd like to leave it accessible for changing the battery somewhere down the road, but I think these things last for a very long time.

• Like 1

Hi all,

been gone a loooonnnggg while :( Lots of rl stuff got in the way of my minis--So last month, I finally decided it was time to start a new project and maybe that would help me get back into mini's ( I was half way through my Willowcrest, when I put it aside) So hopefully, I'm back to stay !

I'm making an album of my Dura Craft San Franciscan...its coming along nicely. Holly, u may remember I like to add a little story about the "owners" of my houses ( this ones a bit "dark" too, like Lilly's Sweet Shop( a twist on Hansel n Gretel)

I've finished the two little cabins for my roomboxes. Next step is to connect all the wiring and hide the battery! With an open format on the box I'm still batting ideas around for hiding it - I'd like to leave it accessible for changing the battery somewhere down the road, but I think these things last for a very long time.

They are really great. What did you use for the lighting?

Hi all,

been gone a loooonnnggg while :( Lots of rl stuff got in the way of my minis--So last month, I finally decided it was time to start a new project and maybe that would help me get back into mini's ( I was half way through my Willowcrest, when I put it aside) So hopefully, I'm back to stay !

I'm making an album of my Dura Craft San Franciscan...its coming along nicely. Holly, u may remember I like to add a little story about the "owners" of my houses ( this ones a bit "dark" too, like Lilly's Sweet Shop( a twist on Hansel n Gretel)

Welcome home, Cathy; what's the SF's story line? Now you've got my curiosity piqued.

They are really great. What did you use for the lighting?

I used the SMD chip-LED lights from Evans Designs (modeltrainsoftware.com). They work off a 3-volt coin battery. I got the tiniest they have for the cabin, and used two slightly larger ones for the box itself. For the micro minis these lights are perfect.

• Like 2

Does anyone have links to printies? I had an awesome collection but when I moved and my hard-drive crashed I lost them all! Sorry to ask again about this but I am starting all over again!

I am working on a little 1/4 scale project so if I have to I can rescale the printies on my printer I think. Not sure how to do that but I need the printies first. I don't need wallpaper.......I used scraps of scrapbook paper for that! Thanks so much!:)

Thanks CJ n Holly:)

Holly,

this one came to me awhile back...I live in LaPorte IN--home of Belle Gunness (said to be the first female serial killer)--she lived there in the early 1900's-her first husband "died", then she would correspond with gentlemen, who later moved to marry her...most of these men had money, or insurance policies taken out on them, I believe. ( Check out wikipedia, there's a nice article.) Back in 1908 or so, her house burned down and she disappeared---she was spotted on the West coast--and Los Angeles AND San Francisco.. So...the owner of my San Franciscan will be the mysterious Nicole Veuve Noire (which is French for "black widow")....she arrives in town one day ( I was thinking the time period would be maybe 1920s) and purchases the San Franciscan....I would think it would be somewhat rare for a single woman with no family connections/ a stranger, to make such a large purchase on her own. The older neighbors will be curious and later suspicous of Nicole... the younger housewives on the block, will befriend her because they long to be invited to her fancy teas and garden parties...but they come to love her free spirited nature, and find that a day spent with Nicole is a welcome escape from their daily lives. Of course, she has no shortage of eligible bachelors attempting to win her affections....some of them suddenly "leaving town", but not before leaving Nicole with some rather expensive gifts...

Like I said,its "dark" ;)

• Like 4

I used the SMD chip-LED lights from Evans Designs (modeltrainsoftware.com). They work off a 3-volt coin battery. I got the tiniest they have for the cabin, and used two slightly larger ones for the box itself. For the micro minis these lights are perfect.

I checked out the model train software website today and was quite impressed.

• Like 1

I checked out the model train software website today and was quite impressed.

Not only do they have wonderful products, but they are very personable and helpful. It's run by a husband-and-wife team, and they will answer your questions - on the phone! - and help you with any project you're working on.

• Like 2