What's everyone working on?

I spent yesterday finishing the faux flooring for my Imagination House. Now that those are finished, I could finally start gluing the house together and putting in the trim work, divider wall paper, etc. Not done, but progress is definitely being made. I posted pictures in my gallery: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6197

think that's pretty close to N-scale, which works really well for smaller scale dhs for dhs.

I think you're right, Holly. I found some N-gauge bicycles online, can you believe? They had only one package and I grabbed it! So I'll have a bicycle outside, and some landscaping, and a kid doing something (Bought a package of playing kids, not sure which one I'll use, yet.). Also am adding a light to it so I left out the center wall.

I spent yesterday finishing the faux flooring for my Imagination House. Now that those are finished, I could finally start gluing the house together and putting in the trim work, divider wall paper, etc. Not done, but progress is definitely being made. I posted pictures in my gallery: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6197

The floors look good and I like your wallpapers as well. Nice job!

• Like 1

I just started turning my Storybook Cottage from painted to a completely stone cottage...Now if I just don't run out of egg cartons...Wish me luck!

Good luck, Casey! I am doing the egg carton stones as well right now. Getting harder and harder to find cardboard egg cartons. Most of the stores around here are only carrying the styrofoam ones.

Good luck, Casey! I am doing the egg carton stones as well right now. Getting harder and harder to find cardboard egg cartons. Most of the stores around here are only carrying the styrofoam ones.

We buy eggs at Costco. They come in 5-layer 60 count flats and the holders/separators are egg carton material. They tear up easily for rough oddly shaped stones, and the leftover bits can be shredded and blended to make more "paper clay."

We buy eggs at Costco. They come in 5-layer 60 count flats and the holders/separators are egg carton material. They tear up easily for rough oddly shaped stones, and the leftover bits can be shredded and blended to make more "paper clay."

My friend buys them there and has started saving the cartons for me. It is only my husband and I and he only eats an egg once on the weekends - so buying that many eggs at once is way too much for us. We don't get take-out food, so I don't get the cartons from those either. If both of my sons weren't grown and still living home - then I'd be buying that many eggs!

You can always make your own papermache sheets from newspaper shreds and premixed wallpaper paste.

Yes - I could do that, but I have another confession to make. While I hate sanding - the feel of it, etc., the other thing I hate that is right up there at the top of my list is getting "glop" on my hands! If it requires mushing the newspaper and wallpaper paste together with my hands - forget it! This is truly odd, because in 20 years of nursing (well - I won't go into details here) I had to deal with a lot of "stuff" and it never phased me. There is something definitely wrong with me! :ohmy:

• Like 1

(psst... you don't have to use your hands...) Get a dedicated food processor and a large saucepan and other stuff from a thrift store, boil your newspaper shreds, dump them into a strainer and use a large metal spoon to squeeze out the excess water, dump it into the processor in batches and whiz it, adding wallpaper paste until the consistency is like bread dough or cookie dough; scoop it out with the spoon and roll it between sheets of waxed paper to about 1/8" thick and leave it to dry on the sheets of waxed paper until ready to use. I, on the other hand, sculpt and so long as the stuff will wash off with soap and water before I have to handle food, do not mind squishing paper mache pulp with my bare hands.

(psst... you don't have to use your hands...) Get a dedicated food processor and a large saucepan and other stuff from a thrift store, boil your newspaper shreds, dump them into a strainer and use a large metal spoon to squeeze out the excess water, dump it into the processor in batches and whiz it, adding wallpaper paste until the consistency is like bread dough or cookie dough; scoop it out with the spoon and roll it between sheets of waxed paper to about 1/8" thick and leave it to dry on the sheets of waxed paper until ready to use. I, on the other hand, sculpt and so long as the stuff will wash off with soap and water before I have to handle food, do not mind squishing paper mache pulp with my bare hands.

Okay - so add to my growing list of things I need, such as power tools - I will now need a food processor! This is so funny! Thanks, Holly.

This is truly odd, because in 20 years of nursing (well - I won't go into details here) I had to deal with a lot of "stuff" and it never phased me. There is something definitely wrong with me! :ohmy:

Not at all IMO. There's a big difference here, being paid for one and secondly doing so in the spirit of helping another person get well. I can understand not wanting to have anything to do with it at the end of the day and on your free time :D

• Like 1

My son was cleaning out his storage in my garage and found a large plastic bin. It looked familiar to me. It was mine, I opened it to find mini yardage, all colors and two sizes

of Pretty Pleaters! So, I have a new project....just what I needed.....lol.

Gail :bear:

• Like 2

I tried to work on the MacKenzie's yard rehab, but I'm in such a fog I'm afraid I won't like what I see when my head clears up. I have so much work to do before April 16th, but these #$*(% stones are interfering with everything. :/

Jeremy. I don't recall who defined life as what happens while you're busy making plans, but you seem to be living it. Hope the stone situation can be resolved soon.

Long time since I was able to join in with this thread because I haven't built anything since the Spring Fling last year.

First of all, I do sympathize Jeremy and hope you can get this sorted out quickly. Its supposed to be one of the most painful ailments to endure so I can understand why you are finding it difficult to work.

Secondly, I've started my room box. Well I actually started planning it a year ago and made a cardboard mock-up which has really been getting in the way in my workroom, collapsing and taking up space. I wasn't able to get a carpenter to cut out the pieces for me so I've eventually gone it alone. So far I've cut the basic pieces out and still need to cut out door and window frames plus a little hatch at the back so that I have a lighting cupboard that is easily accessible. My cutting is inexpert at best so this build will require a significant amount of filler. I know why it takes so long to build or even design a dollhouse from scratch and I fully understand prototypes now. If I could afford to waste what I've done so far I would buy all the materials and do it all again - but a bit better.

Fed up with power tools now though and I'm dying to get stuck in with a bit of assembly. I've started an album but there's not a lot to show yet. I keep getting waylaid by insistent little nagging ideas for things I just need to create - but won't need for another few months.

I am casting around for a new project. I have it in mind to build an adobe style house since I live in one and they are just about the only style house out here in New Mexico. I want to make it simple more like a one or two room design. Any suggestions about a house that I might adapt for this project? I thought about just doing a room box but suggestions welcome please!!! Adobe houses all have flat roofs so I couldn't figure out how I would modify say the Primrose. Holly???? Help!!

PS I still don't use power tools so all I have is an exacto and a dremel tool!

Edited by Roxxie2

Yes Chris, I really love that but the one thing I would change is to have a side open and a roof!! Too expensive for my budget though.

I was looking for something a lot less than that..ha ha I was thinking of this roombox kit because of the arches it looks kind of New Mexico style to me. I would stucco it and just do a room of some sort. What do you think?

http://www.miniatures.com/Arched-Room-Box-Kit-P17789.aspx

Yes Chris, I really love that but the one thing I would change is to have a side open and a roof!! Too expensive for my budget though.

I was looking for something a lot less than that..ha ha I was thinking of this roombox kit because of the arches it looks kind of New Mexico style to me. I would stucco it and just do a room of some sort. What do you think?

http://www.miniatures.com/Arched-Room-Box-Kit-P17789.aspx

It's too expensive for me, too. I would love to build it though. The roombox kit you posted has interesting potential. I'm looking forward to seeing your Southwestern build.