What's everyone working on?

After doing a mini-tutorial with my students on making stone and bricks with paper clay, I took my fairy house in for them to look at. That made me want to get back to working on it. Today I painted some shelves I want to put in, and started cutting moss to cover the roof with. I have a bit of a concern about gluing the moss on. It will probably get ratty with age and I want to be able to replace it if necessary. DH suggested a clear silicon calk.

• Like 2

After a bit of a sulk break, I spent some time with my rowhouse today. We're friends again. :)

Today I worked on hardwoods in the entryway.

post-7-0-67493800-1363489525_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-32390200-1363489531_thumb.jpgpost-7-0-47147200-1363489538_thumb.jpg

Also did some wallpaper a few weeks ago, but I kept making a horrible mess with the glue so I only ended up doing this one room. (That was what initiated the sulk break!)

post-7-0-00561600-1363489556_thumb.jpg

More pics on my blog.

• Like 1

Emily, the wallpaper looks great in the photos and so do the floors. Sulks sometimes happen; they are usually a thinking break.

Holly, how did the moss hold up? Between the cat and dust I worry that the fairy house moss will look bad after a year or two. I am mossing the entire roof.

After doing a mini-tutorial with my students on making stone and bricks with paper clay, I took my fairy house in for them to look at. That made me want to get back to working on it. Today I painted some shelves I want to put in, and started cutting moss to cover the roof with. I have a bit of a concern about gluing the moss on. It will probably get ratty with age and I want to be able to replace it if necessary. DH suggested a clear silicon calk.

I agree it might not hold up well. I shingled my fairy house and plan to lay moss on top just where it will hold easily on it's own. Like draped over the peak. You could also lay the moss out upside down, drizzle hot glue on in a checkerboard pattern to hold the moss together. Then, attach the single piece of moss to the roof with dots of hot glue.

...Holly, how did the moss hold up? Between the cat and dust I worry that the fairy house moss will look bad after a year or two. I am mossing the entire roof.

No idea, Chris; I built, bashed and sold it to a coworker for her little girl. The nice thing about what I was using it for was that even if it crumbles away the residue stuck in the glue will continue to give the effect I was trying for. The one to ask is Peggi, she used sheet moss to roof her Snow White and the Seven Dwarves house: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=977

I've been working on the Glencliff on and off this week. I started with the two story extension. I decided to use shingles on the exterior of most of the house so the extension is all shingles. i've put a coat of primer and 2 coats of paint on it....i'm thinking i will need another coat of paint, possibly 2 coats. I'm liking the way it's turning out!

Hopefully i can get more work done on the house today! i've been accumulating the exterior building materials and have all the windows now. I got the exterior door this week and had to cut the opening larger to accomodate it, so glad i got the door tho, it will match great :). I have the interior staircases as well, i'm going to have to modify the house a bit to accomodate them, it's a bit of an ackward fit with the curved staircases.

I need to take photos!

• Like 2

Marg, yes definitly needs pics ;) looking forward to more eye candy!!!

Drawing and calculating angles for the basement that the lighthouse is going to need... Will be making them out of rather heavy plywood and then dress it with paperclay to make the walls look like heavy stones, then there will be rustic ceiling beams, four of the walls will have shelves built in etc etc. I "just" know what it will look like, now just to get it there... The basement part will also be sort of half bilt in the garden/ground area so it is a plotting, planning and trying to think ahead phase right now.

Hugs

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, Holly. I had a 'DOH!' Moment. The roll of moss is lightly stuck to newspaper. I can glue the newspaper around the edges and the moss will stay on. Then if the moss gets ratty I can just peel it off. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks for the link, Holly. I had a 'DOH!' Moment. The roll of moss is lightly stuck to newspaper. I can glue the newspaper around the edges and the moss will stay on. Then if the moss gets ratty I can just peel it off. Can't hurt to try.

Aye, the Leprechauns!

The fairies have been roofing. I had to go to the craft store to buy more moss and it doesn't quite match. I do have some plans for remedying that situation so I'm not too worried about it. Also, after looking at the photo, I noticed I put the chimney back on at a bit of an angle. I fixed that after the photo was taken.

post-6356-0-82977200-1363553176_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I put the final details on my Imagination House and planted the planters. It is amazing how much cuter the house looks with its flowers. It's going to be a bit harder to part with than I thought it would. :sad_2:

Oh it is sooo nice!

Made books and books yesterday besides cutting holes in the Rosedale's roof! Tore up and cut up egg cartons for brick and stone. Trying to decide what I need to finish the big Tennyson, and it feels like I'm starting to get in the groove on the Rosedale, when the half scale lighthouse started making noise about being next! Who knew these houses could be so demanding! :D But it's fun!

• Like 1

Finally started building something! And finally taking the Dremel Trio (a Xmas present) thru its paces.

The project is just a scratch-built roombox shell for now - but hopefully it'll gain momentum when I start the storefront.

sml_gallery_4762_6212_190115.jpg sml_gallery_4762_6212_24396.png

If you want details check my Blog

• Like 2

Oh wow! I just watched a little video about it. So far, I have done everything without power tools, just a razor, sandpaper, and a screwdriver have been my tools. Now that I have a little building experience, I am ready to expand. This is now on my " I WANT!" list. Last year, DH bought me a chainsaw for my birthday, maybe this coming birthday, I can get a mini-power tool. Anything else I should ask for?