What's everyone working on?

THmini2

I braved the fog this afternoon and got the stain and polyurethane to do the upstairs floors in the quilt shop. I'm thinking I want to do a template and just slide the panel in, hold it in place with the baseboards and finish the front with a strip of quarter round. The bottom floor will have linoleum, also to be cut to a template and slid into place.

My biggest accomplishment today was "finding" a missing attic railing for the willowcrest. I checked all the bags of parts...and was all ready to make a new one from basswood...and I looked on one of the larger sheets that were still intact----and there it was!! lol

I also printed out some wallpaper for the first floor stairway--the main stair assembly is so nice--it's too bad you really can't see it well once the house is built...

Since I"m waiting on some lighting supplies, maybe I'll get back to the BH and finish all those crazy brackets!

I made three racks for fabric bolts this morning and painted some other bits of furniture for the quilt shop. Waiting for the paint to dry so I can sand and apply a second coat.

Thanks, Rosalind. Mary, I hate sewing with rayon fabrics and I despise wearing it. I'll be interested to see how you subdue to crochet with it. It should work up into a lovely limp, drapey item.

I'm not fond of rayon to wear or to sew on, either, and I have grave doubts about whether the ends will stay put if I crochet or knit with it. Slippery darn stuff!

Has anyone else run into something called "thread curtains"? I ran into them when I was looking for examples of beaded curtains - apparently they're pretty hot stuff in some circles. They are basically made with lengths of thread hanging free, much like bead curtains and they do look amazingly floaty and kinda fairy-like.

ok, too much going thru my head at once.!!! LOL !! I really need to slow down.!!

I have the Brookfield upstairs, I need to get that horrible carpet stuff off the floors... Hmm, that could be rather messy and interesting.!! I woudl really like to do stone on it... but I have never done stone before... and I will have to use egg cartons and the drink holders, I cannot afford to buy paper clay. I will be taking all the heartsy trim off... I like the houses to look real.. and with the heartsy trim I think they look like a childrens toy.!

The Saloon is sitting on top of my computer cabinet... waiting..... I just cant figure it out.!! The wheels are certainly turning... but I am at a stand still.!! I really want to get that BIG sheet of luan out of my way... but I am afraid to start cutting it as I just cant wrap my head around the measurements and walls.!! LOL !!!

Yesterday before I brought the Brookfield upstairs I sat the San Fran lighthouse on the floor in front of me and just kinda looked at it.!! LOL, There is something missing... maybe the fancy trim or ... I dont know... I really do love the lighthouse idea but I am not sure.... ever get that feeling. ? I thought about trying to make it look like the new house from RGT... it is very similiar to the san fran... and I love all the detail... but I also love the lighthouse... so I am not sure what I am going to do but I think it just needs something.!! and I dont know what.!

Kellee

I've wallpapered the large room in the top floor of my Petite Dreamhouse. The mansard roof sides always challenge me, but I was succesful. I learned to measure the angles from the outside of the roof when I did the Cranberry. This is the only room tall enough for my canopy bed. Plan to do ceiling and flooring tonight.

I have the tower nearly built. it's such a close fit with the pieces that i had to sand about 1/32 inch off the bay verticals in order to fit them in between the walls of each floor. But once I had them in, they hardly needed taping. They're not going anywhere!

Painted bolt shelves and baseboards, stained a large shelf unit. That doesn't sound like much, but figure a couple or three coats with waiting at least a little while for the previous coat to dry pretty much ate up the day.

Today i was inspired by Gina's (butterflyx) loganberry mill....i had started ages ago to build the loganberry i won in the spring fling but it wasnt 'right' not what i wanted...saw Gina's outdoor deck and ironwork... :p back into building mine :)

I went a bit crazy and wallpapered the OUTSIDE with FLORAL wallpaper...ooooooooooooo i love it....pics soon :yay:

Kathie, your quilt shop work is beautiful! Don't you just love that gluing jig? I can't imagine being without mine.

I built a spice rack with 18 tiny spice jars made from rigid aquarium tubing and wooden beads. Time consuming, but I am very pleased with the result. :)

gallery_4679_3429_15804.jpg

Wow, Brae, the spice rack & jars are PERFECT! and I also love your wee wooden tools & caddy, I really need to make a few for my little kitchens! I also like how the polystyrene ceiling material works for the backsplash. How did you make that olive oil bottle?

I began gluing the iso FF together, next is to finagle the new stairway configuration...

You did an excellent job with your spice rack.

I took a break from working on my house. I wasn't being inspired and was spinning my wheels.

My sister sent me some scraps to try and make a quilt so today I hope to sit down with the fabrics and try and figure it out. I need to see it before I try it so I may make a paper mock up first.

I've got the roof pieces laying here on the counter ready to mark the shingle lines. It seems odd to me to be putting the roof on so soon, but I can't finish the tower until I do. Maybe I can go by the hobby shop and get the wood to finish my floor today. since our weekend company didn't make it, I'm free as a bird all weekend-except for grocery shopping, house cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. LOL! Doesn't leave much time, does it?

Thanks so much, everyone!

The pitcher with the wooden tools is a purchased item as is the olive oil bottle (Rement or Re-ment - I've seen it spelled both ways). Rement items are actually 1/6th scale, but some items work. I have an extra large oil bottle in my real life house - cheaper in the long run.

The wooden beads were in a variety pack of beads - these were part of what I had left over from the bag that I bought over 20 years ago. I've got photos of the process on my blog, of course.

Wow Brae! I love your spice rack!! Are the labels printies? They really add to the realism!

Wooden kitchen tools can be carved with an exacto knife, but plan on going through several before you get what you want--one slip of the knife and there goes one of the fork tines!

Thanks, Debra! I created the labels in Word using clip art for the design. Then I printed them on Avery label paper to make them easier to attach. They're only 1/4" square so I didn't think using glue would work all that well.

The kitchen looks awesome Brae! Love the backsplash -- it looks like the backsplash sheeting I see at Home Depot (which comes in all metal finishes as well as white).

Checking your blog right now on how you did the spice rack!

In the meantime, finally decided what to work on. BF got fed up with my indecisiveness that he wrote my kits on sheets of paper, threw them in one his hats, and picked one from the drawing. And he picked out my other Duracraft Winston dollhouse :)

Guess that's a good thing. I put the Widower's Winston cottage up on eBay to see if anyone would actually bid on my work (after everyone's urging to try it). Was hoping there'd be no takers, but it looks like I got a solid bid, and a bunch of folks watching it.... >_<