What's everyone working on?

THmini2

Fairfield's roof, tower, and bay windows are now added to the dryfit. Now my husband needs to spend some quality time with him to listen and see what colors to use. Yes, he actually said that. He thought he had colors picked out until it arrived, then he realized that wasn't right. I guess in the meantime I should start looking for some siding.

Finished installing the egg carton "stones" on the front door facade of the Rye as well as on one side of its foundation before running out of egg cartons. Then realized I didn't have anything to use as grout to fill in the spaces. :p

guess will have to wait until the snow's cleared for me to get some -- and wait for my order of egg cartons (bought some online that don't have any prints of them so can use all the surfaces! woohoo!)

Daphne - you can paint the carton stones even if they have printing; it won't show. Also, don't forget to seal them before you grout. :p

I built a modern light fixture from tubing, a bead, an LED and a Wilton cake decorating tip. I plan to make another and hang the pair over the kitchen island.

post-4679-1265531658_thumb.jpg

Oh wow Brae -- LOVE the light fixture! It's so stylish (and very trendy) above the island! Will have to try that on my next project. Actually, might mimic this on the "mod" cottage's living room. :p

Will also keep in mind about painting -- ran out of acrylics so I used pastels that I ground up and lightly brushed on the surface. Also used Modge-Podge (the matte sheen) to seal them once they've been glued securely.

Ach, now need to figure out what to do with flooring....

I think more curtain-making & hanging, so I can install the end walls & bays. I had to pop the windows out of the diningroom bay and repaint the frames so it would look better with the rest of the room. I have a second window seat leftover after installing one in the rso FF's library that I'll use in the side bay in the iso FF.

Well, got a little bit done. Still painting trim for the gables. I didn't use just the stripwood provided, but added a little bit of scalloped trim, and I'm still painting all those scallops. I do have the porch floors done and ready to varathane. So it is progressing slowly but surely. I think it's time for a snooze now, to regenerate before I try to flip that thing on it's back!

I'm making tailored drapes for the iso Fairfield's formal diningroom, a first for me (and in 1:24, too), so it's taking all day. The upside is that while I have the iron out I blocked the rugs. They do look cute in their places, but of course I'll have to take them all out and find somewhere to photograph them (like they'll show up!).

Anyone remember Gerald?

Last October I had a go at sculpting people and made a cute little old guy called Cyril. This was my first attempt and I learned such a lot about what I shouldn't do. My attempts to make Cyril a wife came to naught so I made him a pal called Gerald. Gerald has been just a head on a stick ever since but last night I made him a fully poseable body (unlike Cyril who is stuck in one position). At the moment Gerald is still in his long johns, will post pics when he has some clothes.

Today is hobby room tidy up day. I will pack away the Franklin until after the wedding (at one stage was going to try and get it done in time for the wedding, but didn't get the lighting system I wanted for christmas and thought it best to save the money for the wedding and save again after the wedding to continue the house then.) Then I'll have a bit more space to sort some stuff out and figure out what I actually still need, and what has been on those shelves for 1.5 years and not touched and so could move on to a new home! We've also picked up quite a few boxes of wine for the wedding, so they need somewhere to be stored, as well as the next boxes coming!

Pl is on her back on the table and I did get a couple of pieces of trim glued on last night. If I can get that much done after work every day this week, maybe it will all be done by Friday. Doing the trim has given me a renewed love for my easy cutter. I did the farmhouse with a miter box and saw, but with this baby, every piece is fitting so well!

I need to do touch up painting on my Bobbi and finish the exterior trim. Almost done with the house itself, then it's decorating and landscaping. I'm going to finish this one! :p

I haven't been able to work on my website for several years now, and when I wanted to change things, I found that someone else had been workinjg on it. Hackers and spammers. So I've spent the last two weeks fixing it. 8 to 10 and sometimes more hours have been devoted to fixing it back the way it was. I's almost done. Some graphics have been changed out, some have been fixed and improved, a new page or two has been added, pictures posted that should have been posted a while back, while dolls that were sold were removed. Buttons have been put in place at the top of each page to "stop the music" as about a third of the folks viewing the pages had complained about the music, so that problem has been solved. The rest is a job, but coming along nicely.

Still working on the stone foundations for the Rye and placed some online orders for materials. Hoping to begin installation of the second floor and maybe tackle the hardwood floors for the first floor.

Still working on the generic Allison Jr. Have 2 rooms left to paper and decorate. The kitchen was a pain, had to try 4 different sets, before I decided which one suited the small space best. Putting a kitchen in the larger room, just didn;t make the house happy. The dining room will go there. I'm progressing slowly, have only been doing an hour or so per day on it...

I took pictures of the 1:24 rugs and the diningroom drapes are drying in place, so I can take a picture of them once I remove the clamps, weights & masking tape. I put the window seat into the bay behind the foyer. I'm still not sure how I want to do that room in the inside out Fairfield; it's the pantry in the rightside out one. I think after sunch I'll curl up with the Create Chgannel and stitch the 1:12 blue pony rug some more.

Came home and glued on the scalloped trim, all 5 pieces, instead of just two a night as I had planned. I had a great day at school today and full of energy. So now I'll put the final coat of paint on the rest of the trim.

I'm just really tickled with the scalloped trim. You all know I'm not big on Victorian styles, but for some reason, I love this stuff on there. It looks like the decorative colored edge on a birthday cake!

The Rye is looking good, I really like your foundation and the floors are coming right along!

I'm trying to make a retablo tonight. I have my little wooden frame pieces cut, glued together, and stained. I have my retablo printed off and sealed. Now I have to decide how to decorate the frame. I think I know what to do, but will have to experiment a bit. Any ideas for tiny Mexican style candleholders for it?

Beads? You can stack them on steel dressmaker pins (I saved the pins that came in DH's dress shirts, back in the day...). I use all-purpose white glue and the little bottles I made from beads are still stuck together.

I have been working on the iso FF attic today. I need to use the belt sander on the attic bathroom door and figure out how I want to finish up the new wall (probably just prime & paint it; it's foamcore).

Ohh -- hope you'll have pics of the retablo available Sherry! Super curious to see how it looks!

Have to wait for the wood stain to dry inside the Rye before I can put the beeswax stain on it. The blizzard's suspended all mail services here in the Washington DC area, so have to make do with what I have!

At the moment, checking the Elf Miniatures website and debating whether to try their cabinet kits for the Rye kitchen...

Framing the utility building for the Tudor. Since I won't be able to display the house at the Ocala show I have slowed down to a less frantic pace. I'm out of bricks, so I might try to finish the turret window exteriors this weekend.