What's everyone working on?

THmini2

I scraped wallpaper from two more rooms. The only one left is the kitchen, which is way at the back and will be a bear to get to. Unlike the first room, the other room upstairs has a coat of paint under the wallpaper, as does the downstairs room on the right. The downstairs room on the left didn't have paper; it's painted. I tipped the house onto its back so I can access the ceilings better. Tomorrow I'll try putting gesso over the stained ceiling paper and cross my fingers that it doesn't sag when it gets wet.

I have the bay floors glued to the main floors, and the 3 walls of the entryway glued together. I need to stop and paint the walls now, so we went to Lowe's last night and found a light gray quart in the 'reject' stack. So I will spread out walls and start on that today.

I will need to paint the porch also, and can't decide how to do it. I would like something a little more elegant than boards, but not sure what!

Have been white-washing skinny sticks and installed those in the Adams. Have also painted some trim pieces for downstairs in Mr Adams as well.

Have taken pics, but can't load pics into this computer as the cord is at the other place, will see if I can do that when we get back there later on tonight.

Hugs

I got the first coat of paint on the house walls-all 31 pieces-and still had a little gray paint in my cup. So I decided to just use it to paint my blue egg cartons gray. This is when I realized that my paint is egg carton gray-no kidding, exactly the same color! Funny how they put these fancy names on paint colors, and if they'd just say 'baby poop yellow' or egg carton gray, people would know exactly what color it's going to be!

A box just arrived from HBS. Haven't opened it yet. I have two orders coming ... not sure if this will be the dolls or the components (stair railing, etc). Probably the latter, from the shape of the box. Got to hit the shower and get dressed so I can go play!

Spent most of the day fiddling around with the quilt shop, including making up some kits that Barbara sent -- magazines, spools of thread. Will post some photos in my quilt thread and blog later on.

I'm having a crisis. I don't have enough gray egg cartons! We don't eat eggs except to bake, so I've got to find some more. The blue ones I painted gray just don't look the same. so it may be a while before my foundation gets done. I'll finish cutting what I have and then estimate how many I need to steal out of the refrigerators of friends and family!

Finished tiling the kitchen and framed the 2nd floor deck yesterday. I'll have to wait until after work tomorrow to get the grout. Hopefully I'll have the last of the parquet flooring in place by Saturday.

If they use takeout trays there still, i sure haven't seen them. I am going to work on a few of both the gray and the painted blue and see if they won't work together after they are accented with some other colors.

Sherry, maybe paint over both gray and blue stones with a light gray paint so they'll be nearer to the same color when you start adding accent colors?

I added an entry to My Miniatures Blog ... click the link below.

Kathie, your blog is awesome! and I appreciate your pointing out what happens to paper in contact with bare, unsealed wood. I understand that white & pale paint colors suffer similarly on unsealed or unprimed bare wood.

Another excellent day to mini,here (i.e: godarful COLD again!). One more coat of paint on the bedroom doors and they'll be ready to hang. I've talked myself out of doing a bead curtain (scale's off).

I'll experiment with the bricks some once i get all the house pieces sanded and painted , Kathie. Right now, every table top and floor space in that room is covered with 32 pieces of clapboard house!

The house is now talking to me, and saying it doesn't want to have modern furniture, it wants to have shabby chic. i don't care for shabby chic personally, but I would have the furniture to do it with after a little modification. We're going to have to work out a compromise! I would enjoy making the stuff for that, more than modern!

I finally got all the trim, shutters and windows, off the Petite Dreamhouse ( Generic inverted Allison Jr) I have painted the porch floors and horizontal straight trim in navy blue, I repainted the house's main body in a Lowes boo-boo shade of turquoise mist.( more of a pale ocean blue, looks greenish in some lights) There's just the shell sitting there drying. She's a pretty pitiful sight right now. When DH asked the kids what Mom was doing, they said:"Wrecking the house", LOL

Tonight, I intend to turn her upside down, reglue her bones solidly in place, will also cut some extra porch corners and tower side supports, to enforce the deal. After which I must repaint all the trim, porch rails and windows, in it's original shade of white.

I haven't figured out what to do with the shutters yet. Once I paint them in any color, the drawn on lines, that make them look like shutters will be gone...I will have plain rectangles of wood, and they won't look like much of anything. Not sure what I will put the lines back on with, or if a $20.00 house should get all new shutters..hmmmm... Not likely, the ones she came with are all good. This weekend I have to scrape, heat, sand off all the old glue from the back of all the peices I remove so it can go back on. Not looking forward to that part.

I have finally got the attic wallpapered. The paper I used was toile scrapbook paper. Only problem with scrapbook paper, is that the patterns are offset at weird increments. Like several inches up and over. So I spent quite a bit of time cutting pieces and matching patterns. It turned out nice. But now I'm not sure that the paper really goes with the rest of the house. After I spent weeks with a piece stuck in there to test how I liked it. Argh! It will probably be better once I put the furniture in and the paper isn't staring me in the face so much.

All that's left is the door and chimney!

I haven't figured out what to do with the shutters yet. Once I paint them in any color, the drawn on lines, that make them look like shutters will be gone...I will have plain rectangles of wood, and they won't look like much of anything. Not sure what I will put the lines back on with, or if a $20.00 house should get all new shutters..hmmmm...

What if you photograph one shutter so you'll have pattern, print it full size, and then use it to trace the lines back on with a fine point marker? Or even a very sharp, hard pencil? Hard to suggest options without seeing the shutters.

I've never had much luck finding scrapbook paper that would work for me. the scale is generally too big. However, I use the solid colors quite a bit. I found a white with a raised vine design in small scale that made great ceiling paper for the 1st floor of the storybook. All the ceilings in the farmhouse are made out of a textured watercolor paper i found. It also had the advantage of coming in large sheets so I didn't have to piece anything.

I'll be working on more crochet cotton balls and yard skeins today, plus giving the house a second coat of gesso inside now that the caulking is dry. I'm doing the little stuff on the ironing board -- it was the only clear flat space in the craft area. Hope to get much of it finished today so I can move on. Have an idea for more display shelves.