What's everyone working on?

THmini2

The pillows are art images resized in PhotoShop and then printed on fabric. I used plain cotton backing for them and stuffed them with seed beads.

I've been wanting to try printing on fabric for a while, but I'm so afraid I'll jam up my printer with the fabric and be out the cost of another printer. Is there some special technique you use on the fabric or a special kind of fabric you use that makes it possible to print on material? I have an Ink Jet printer, I think that's the kind you can use for this, is it? How do you feed the fabric into the machine?

I shouldn't be surprised Brae, but I am. Your chairs and pillows are amazing.

Today was the first really productive day I've had in a week on my mad dash to get the B & B ready for Chicago. I made and installed the last rain gutter, 3 storm drains, the final segment of porch railing and a fancy trim framing the yard that makes for a nice base.

I still have to sand and paint joint compound I used to fill gaps in the house's exterior, make bushes, repair and install the chimney caps, install adapters to the last 3 interior lights, install exterior window frame trim in all 7 attic windows, make and install crown trim for the same windows and make a hand rail for the staircase. The castle needs the interior gate doors re-installed, finishing trim on the outside edge of the base and an epoxy moat poured. In less than 2 weeks.

Maybe I'll get time to work on the Tudor at the show. :)

I just went full tilt twice in one thread! The photo gallery with the blue light started it and the wicker furniture finished it off!

Great work you both did!

How did you do up the blue lights, Claudia?

That light is one of the new battery lights from HBS, which has an extra bright light. But it seems blue because of the picture it's shining on I think -- it's an ocean scene with lots of blue water.

I've been wanting to try printing on fabric for a while, but I'm so afraid I'll jam up my printer with the fabric and be out the cost of another printer. Is there some special technique you use on the fabric or a special kind of fabric you use that makes it possible to print on material? I have an Ink Jet printer, I think that's the kind you can use for this, is it? How do you feed the fabric into the machine?

What you do is cut a piece of freezer paper to size (8.5 x 1) and iron it onto the back of the fabric. The paper has plastic on one side. A slow iron will soften the plastic and it will adhere to the fabric. Then, with a sharp scissors, trim away all of the fabric that extends beyond the edges of the paper. Be sure it is a clean cut, especially on the leading edge, and double check that the paper and fabric are stuck together with no gaps; run the iron again if you find gaps or bubbles.

After it's printed, the paper and fabric will separate easily.

This will feed through your printer without a hitch. :)

The only drawback I've found in using an inkjet printer is that you can't use hairspray or liquid starch to set folds. The ink will run. (I haven't tried it using a non-water based fixative. Has anyone else done so successfully?)

You can also buy fabric with backing made especially for printing.

Thanks, Jeremy! :hug:

I used a 40% off coupon at Joann Fabrics to buy a package of pre-made printer fabric. It has the backing already on it. As Kathie says, it's not waterproof, so you can't get the printed designs wet at all. But, for my purposes, it works well. I've noticed that regular dust in the ink jet printer can mar the lighter areas, so the method works best when using patterns and darker images. I've tried laser jet, and that works about as well. You really need to brighten and up the contrast on the original image before printing on either, though, because you get some color loss when printing.

I just wanted to open a new topic for this one since the other topic is 259 pages long :hug: It has been a Hot Topic since 2007 So I am closing this one and opening it up a new one here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...showtopic=28628