COVID-19 IMPACT ON MINIS

Mini Man

COVID-19 IMPACT ON MINIS   

356 members have voted

1. 1. Are you spending more or less time on miniature collecting since the virus came to town?

• Yes, I've been in Mini overdrive
    • No, I've kept busy with other crafts

Welcome back everyone!  I know it was horrible timing for the forum to be down... my sincere apologies.  Well with your favorite hang out offline, what have you been doing to keep busy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So good to be back! Actually I have had virtually no downtime from work. Thanks to a new computer program the Medical Records department I work in was backed up so we only had to furlough or use PTO beginning last week. Keep looking longingly at my mini world but have been finding my solace in garden and yard work lately. Stay safe everyone!

I’ve been building miniature scenes and rearranging my minis so I can find things better. This week, I’m making flowers for my next dollhouse. I built this one in March. I’m sure y’all can tell which Greenleaf Kit this one is from  :)  Anne’s She-Shed

• Like 6

So happy to see the forums back! 

We have been under shelter in place orders for about 6 weeks now.  My job allows me to work remotely, but I suddenly have about 90 -120 minutes back in my day by not having to commute in to the office.  I've been spending a lot of that time on miniature projects.  I'd been planning on making some needlepoint rugs for my dollhouse for a while, and so my days now include at least an hour of needlepoint.  

So glad the site is back up.  It's been a lonely few weeks.  Can't wait to hear what everyone has been up to during the pandemic.

I have still been working the whole time.  Ugh!!!!   We are considered an essential business, but not sure that is really the case now, as we support the oilfield industry and you all know how that's going at the moment. 

• Like 1

I am so so happy that the forum is back up! I have missed this place!  Love the new member profile look and everything seems to zoom through to the next tab!

I've reorganized closets, rooms, been working on my house, my workspace, purging and organizing and writing down my ideas for next projects.  Add to Cart has been a little obsessive lol.

I've realized that I have quite the collection of Day Pajamas and Night Pajamas and have even had a few ZOOM Happy Hours with my sister and her husband.  Eating - well, lets not go there. I've baked and cooked up a storm and Im rather over it now, but it has to be done lol.

Thanks for the update to the site and I hope we see everyone checking in soon. 

• Like 2

I am teaching remotely. It's not my favorite method to deliver instruction. That said, we are well.

I have been able to work on my minis on the weekends and finished the Sugarplum at the beginning of March. I have been working on some furnishings for it while still trying to rehab the Lilliput Apple Blossom. 

I am SO happy the forum is back. Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to resuscitate it.

Welcome back everyone! I also started a check-in thread in the Chat forum... maybe redundant with this one, but I'm just so glad to be back. :)

I've been doing a final push on my Victorianna, which has been *this close* to being finished for a number of years. Last week I finished the egg carton brick foundation and this week I finished the shingles. Now I just have a few trim pieces to do (need to order some stuff online...)

victorianna1783.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I already checked in at Chit Chat.  I have missed all of you SO MUCH!!!  Dean, this is how I remember the Forum running back in 2005, when we underwent that first major overhaul.  We had gone out of town for a weeks' camping and hiking when the Forum went down, which is also when everything began to shut down for COVID 19, so it has been most lonesome.  Brimble's is done & Lily is open.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Minis On The Edge said:

Ohh Emily! That is Gorgeous!! You know I’ve been having a crush on that house of yours since you started it! :flowers:

With two towers on it I know why!

8 hours ago, Minis On The Edge said:

I just noticed the new setup added the picture from my link! How neat is that! If you click the picture, it’ll take you to Flickr to see the other pictures of this! Yay! Great updates Dean! :happydance:

That is a cool tool.

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Glad to be back with my mini friends. I've been hibernating at home like summer has come early, although the weather has been pleasant enough for spring. I've been limiting my trips out to the doctor's office for appointments and the dollar store every once in a while. Still maintaining slow weight loss, I lose a pound here, 2 or 3 the next time I weigh myself. Have been doing little exercises which help too. Been working on some mini stitchery for future builds. I'm using Sue Hawkins' Embroidered Projects book. I've made a set of two cushions for a hardback chair in a different colorway, it's sort of a Greek wreath design that I did in shades of blue and cream instead of blue and gold. I've also made a set of seat covers for some Chippendale chairs from the book, blue stripes with a yellow rose in the center; I'm just finishing the fourth. Then on to making the chinoiserie bolster cushion, I think I'll change the blues she used to match the ones I've been using. I'm also planning on making the matching Greek wreath rug from her carpet & rug book. I bought some mini supplies from HBS, and some lovely wallpaper from Earth and Tree. Their customer service is awesome! My package arrived damaged, and I asked if I could get replacement paper, they said sure, just send photos of the damage and the replacements arrived super quickly! Been being very controlled with ebay lately, and judiciously buying a piece here, a piece there. I found the most darling magnet of a victrola for a Victorian parlor I want to make. I only wish I could figure out how to remove the magnet part. Unfortunately, photos won't be coming any time soon, as my camera battery has given up the ghost, and any replacement battery I buy has the same problem, as in it gets stuck inside the camera, making it almost impossible to remove to recharge without damaging the camera. I think my only option is to buy a newer model camera (sigh).

I've decided to enter the Creatin Contest this year and fortunately I ordered and received my kit before everyone went into lockdown.  So I've been working most days on it - trying many new techniques which has been fun and scary all at the same time!  Many times I've wanted to ask questions on here!  I'm so glad I have my craft cottage to retreat too while hubby sits talking with his employees over the computer and phone all day everyday!    Here in NZ they shut ALL retail - except for what they considered to be 'essential' and only if its 'contactless' (except for supermarkets and pharmacies etc).  For some strange reason they don't consider craft supplies essential but thankfully like most miniaturists, I've been a bit of a hoarder!  I have come close to running out of some resources but thankfully from next Tuesday we go down a lockdown level and will be able to order most things online although physical retail stores will remain closed.  Looking forward to sharing a few updated pics and seeing what others have been up to!

Soooo happy to see the forum back up again, missed my home away from home so to speak. But then again with the health situation (not realted to Covid -19) for my FIL and my bonus Grandma we have been on hiatus from most things for a while as we have been preparing Grandma's house for her so that it is more easy for her to live there while still recovering.

But as the Covid situation has deleoped as well we have had some more "Home" time too, gaining the time otherwised used in commuting to work so I have been having fun mini-ing, weaving and making flowers, things that also has been geat to have along in the bag for waiting room sessions...

Missed you all!

• Like 1

I'm so glad to see you two back, Rebecca and Anna; I've been wondering how the rest of the world is faring with the current situation.  Here is a virtual great

{BIG HUG}

for everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I'm so glad to see you two back, Rebecca and Anna; I've been wondering how the rest of the world is faring with the current situation.  Here is a virtual great

{BIG HUG}

for everyone!

BIG hugs coming right back to you too! Cautious optimism yet on guard one might say over here, yes we are still in the midst of it all, but working through it and it is devastating for anyone and everyone losing loved to this virus so not trying to diminish anything but people are really (mostly atleast) trying their best with social distancing and keeping a as calm as possible mind set in it all.

Hugs

So glad to see you up and running again!!!  It has been years since i worked on minis.  I was thinking a week or two ago about starting a new build but saw you were down.  No way would I attempt one without you!  I may need to get cracking this weekend!

Stay safe everyone, and wash your hands!