COVID-19 IMPACT ON MINIS

Mini Man

COVID-19 IMPACT ON MINIS   

357 members have voted

1. 1. Are you spending more or less time on miniature collecting since the virus came to town?

• Yes, I've been in Mini overdrive
    • No, I've kept busy with other crafts

I've been working on 1/12 dolls . With a Magnolia saying finish me please. 

So happy to see everyone here is ok . This has been a trying time for many. We are a lucky family as both my hubby and I can work from home. 

Big Hugs to all 

• Like 1

Although we don’t have a full blown lock down where I live, I was stood down from work and suddenly have a LOT more time on my hands. It’s at least a couple more weeks till we’ll be back.

I hadn’t touched any mini projects in about 5 years! And suddenly I’m hooked again. Finishing off a small Greenleaf kit I bought years ago, have a shop idea in progress and am looking at building something bigger

I had just started really getting back into mini’s when all of this COVID stuff hit.  I work in IT in state government so have been putting in long hours making temporary changes to computer systems and helping to get as many state employees set up to work from home as possible.  Then I spend several hours helping my 3 kids with distance learning.  That leaves me a few hours to sleep and not really much time for crafting of any kind.

How WONDERFUL to be back "together" here again! :wave: Now I know that I am not only addicted to miniatures, but also to this little community, because I have been going through withdrawal.

And many THANKS to Dean and anyone else involved in the upgrade and getting us back online.

Here  at the "sweatshop" my wife and daughter have made 400 masks - mostly out of surplus fabric we had around the house, (she makes clothes and quilts) but some from donations, and has given nearly all of them away - some being mailed to numerous other states. 

I have been more self-indulgent, spending many more hours than I would normally be able to on building my "Quirky Cottage." I have branched out a bit and am customizing an incomplete kit, reworking it into my own design. I have also spent a good bit of time in refurbishing mini furniture and even making some from scratch. I will post some photos soon. 

Great to "see" you all!

LeeB

• Like 2

Nice to see and hear from you too Holly!!!  I've been lucky enough to become a part of an Instagram mini group and they have been fantastic support in so many ways.  NZ is doing exceptionally well - the fact that we were in summer when Covid hit and that we are a small country a very long way from anyone, has helped us to keep it under control.  We still have less than 20 deaths and we're moving down from a full level 4 lockdown to level 3 on Tuesday.  Yay - I can access crafting supplies once more!!!

Loving some of the new features of this forum - like the 'love/like/heart' button on each post!!!!  Have yet to upload pics but I'm pretty certain that'll be a breeze now!  Thanks Dean and everyone else who gave done amazing work to get this incredible resource back up and running!

Nice the forum is back up - thank you Dean for all your hard work!

I've been busy with a new job since November and then add to the mix working from home, so no mini work from me in a while. I"m trying to get my mojo back. After being dormant for a long time, I will need to figure out where I was with some of my mini work, go back to photos and maybe look over inventory for the current house (lots of stuff still in boxes). Waiting for work to settle a bit, working with a new team and that's been draining.

Kudos to all the mask makers!!! I have made about 40 or so for friends and family with the supplies I already had. By the time they were required here Walmart was barren! I managed to break my reverse lever forcing it when the real problem was a dial set to button hole (oops). Got a few blisters turning the metal piece with needle nose pliers! But the new lever arrived yesterday woot!! I can’t even imagine churning out 400 masks that’s amazing!!! 

I ordered the creatin’ contest piece on April 1st - and have a great idea for it so when I’m not sewing or teleworking that is spread out all over one of the two craft tables now... 

So happy to see the forum up and running again! I get so much inspiration and instruction here - there is simply no other option for a mini forum IMHO! Hope everyone stays happy and healthy! 

B20CB435-E758-4695-846C-278C7CC23AD1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, Minis On The Edge said:

I’ve been building miniature scenes and rearranging my minis so I can find things better. This week, I’m making flowers for my next dollhouse. I built this one in March. I’m sure y’all can tell which Greenleaf Kit this one is from  :)  Anne’s She-Shed

How did you make that perfectly lush, gorgeous, life-like grass?! Wow! 

• Like 2

So very very glad we're up and running again! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have been up to :flowers:

I'm teaching from home, online and that's left me with lots and lots of mini time. I started a new project, a Laurel + Adams bash (well, I started the egg carton brick for my exterior anyway!). Even though I am terribly at taking photos (as evidence by the lack of photos from my first build), I solemnly swear to get better at sharing photos for others to enjoy :dunce:

Again, so very excited to be reconnected with you all! 

10 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

Has anyone heard from Kelly @rodentraiser or Jeanne @Thimble Hall ?  I hope they're both okay.

Kelly had been checking in on a library computer, so that option may be closed to her at this point. Jeanne has been quiet since well before the forum shutdown.

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

Kelly had been checking in on a library computer, so that option may be closed to her at this point. Jeanne has been quiet since well before the forum shutdown.

Well I hope they are both okay 

Hello, everybody!  Been missing you all. I can't remember when I checked in last, but it's been too long. My sweet mother died December 3rd, after our move to Nebraska. She loved our new house, loved being closer to her grandchildren. We had a huge family reunion in November, with our son and family joining us from Mississippi.  After they left, on a Friday, Mother's hospice nurse came by and helped her with a shower. Mother took a nap after that - and stayed in bed until Monday. She declined rather quickly after that. It's as if she closed the book on the last chapter - she had seen and visited with all the grandkids and great-grands, including the oldest one home from college - and she was ready to say goodbye. She lived about 4 years longer than the doctors expected, and we just sort of figured she would go on indefinitely. 

I'm still busy getting this house in order. It's bigger than our last house, but we don't have the same cupboards and the same layout so it's been a challenge to get everything organized. And I have been very busy making up for lost time with my miniature business. Starting to see some progress, so that is encouraging.  I kept telling people we were looking for a nice basement with a house attached - and that's what we got! One-hundred year old Craftsman and I love it! My basement workshop is 477 sq. feet.  :rolleyes:  There are three more rooms in the basement, plus a bathroom. 

And some news on DH, who some may remember was in a car accident as we left WA last summer. He was in a rehab hospital for 3 months, but has now completely recovered. His crushed foot and broken wrist have healed well. He now wears a larger shoe size since his foot sort of spread out as it healed, but he's okay with that. We're just very thankful that he can walk normally with no pain. (every bone in his foot was broken in two or three places).  However, he shows no desire to ever drive a car again. But that's okay - we are now in a very small town, no longer out in the country far from everything. He enjoys walking three blocks to the grocery store to pick up a few things as needed.

Well - enough rambling. So good to be back "home" with you all! 

Edited by CheckMouse
  • Like 3

It's so good to see you back and what good news about your husband!  Your house sounds perfect, and your mom lived long enough to see you settled in it and all her family doing well.

• Like 1

Even though I'm new here, it's great to be back. 

In my normal life I made jewelry but I finally decided to take a break and work on the dollhouse my son got me for my birthday. All this covid 19 stuff went down and now I'm having to help the two grandkids with distant learning. It worked out so I can work on the dollhouse while the kiddos are doing school work.

This is my Painted Lady my son got me and my first ever sofa I made. 

20200419_173210_20200511070019269.jpg

• Like 2