What's everyone working on?

I'm having fun figuring out how to bash my 1/2 scale Chantilly into a super fun build. It gets to go through two phases of completion. One, a falling down ruin and two, fixed up in a creative way. It won't be brought back to its 'former glory' if the new owners have any say. They are far too unique for that. If all goes as planned. A tower on the smaller? side (the left side of the photo in the company store) will be part of the bash. I have never added a tower and am looking forward to trying.

• Like 3

Sounds interesting, Morgan!

I finished the little Convention centerpiece I was working on. I didn't like the table I had the dollhouse on so I changed that. Of course, when I pulled it up, the glue clung fiercely to the floor and ripped the flooring, so I had to redo that, also. Got it in the mail this afternoon.

Here's the front of it, with the dome in place ...

And the back, or inside, without the dome ...

• Like 3

It's very difficult to describe my obsession with real stone right now. I've just completed cutting and applying real travertine and slate tiles to my Walmer Old Town and have decided I need to torture myself more and create a formal floor using these materials. I'm presently cutting 30 tiles in half and will use the slate as an inlay. Here is a pic of the VERY rough layout. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

I have to stop working on my DC Tudor for awhile...my 23 yr old daughter is coming home (extended vacation or permanent visit remains to be seen) Im afraid she will be learning the lesson I learned at her age...you can never really go back home. Deep Sigh.

ANYWAY...Im enjoying reading through Caseys Coventry Cottage build everyday and finding it much more relaxing to watch someone else build a difficult house than it is to actually build the difficult house yourself lol. If anyone has considered this build I think youll enjoy vicarious~building~along~with~Casey as well.

I think I need some enabling. I'm working at another Home & Garden Show - with a section for antiques. I found a doll bed, 1:12 scale, wood with a cloth mattress. Supposed to be from the 1800's. Wondering ifI should get it. It's in very good shape.

• Like 1

I'm just daydreaming now,but am getting ready to get some real work done on the Cool Breeze cottage (Dura-Craft Ashley) this weekend. Thanx to the Forum,I have gotten so many ideas and tuts to now be able do some things that have been holding me back-I am especially tickled to get going on my tiny kitchen. I hope to make a sink myself,using inspiration from Otterine/Brae and some others here. Gotta love the Forum! :D

C J-I hope you got it!

Sable-loove the stonework!

Casey-it's always fun to see your creations coming together!

Hope everyone else is feeling as good about this wonderful hobby as I have been this week! I seem to have a renewed spirit about it and feel like I am about to really accomplish some things! (Or fall flat on my face trying!hahaha) But at least I am in a positive mood to give it a good try!:)

I have been down with the flu for days now so not much mini work going on here. However, I keep looking at the front wall of my Orchid where I cut through the wallpaper for the porch railing slots. I wallpapered before I assembled the house so I was congratulating myself on how nice it looked.....except for the hole! Well that hole kept getting bigger and bigger ( in my mind) and so I decided I Had to repaper that wall. So, I had to removed the door frame that I had already glued in place and well the rest of the story is, I broke the door frame getting it off the wall so I have to make a new one with strip wood now. I have enough paper to redo the wall thank goodness. There is another hole on the other side in the kitchen that I decided had to go also but I don't have enough paper to redo that wall so wainscot might be the ticket here. Whew! I cause myself more grief sometimes! Thanks for listening to that saga. :frusty:

I wish Kathie! The holes are near the front door on both sides too low to do anything with. I could have put a grandfather clock in front of the hole on the living room side but it still would have been off center and I would know it was there!!! On the other side its in the middle of the doorway or just off the kitchen doorway so again in a dumb place. Being the perfectionist I have to be I wouldn't be happy with it . I managed to get the door casing off and I have scrap strip wood to make a new casing. I am going to do a chair rail of some kind on that front wall in the kitchen because the table is going to be there anyway. I had a single chair rail wall like that in one of my real kitchens once. I am re wallpapering the front wall of the living room. All that for two holes less than a half inch! :p

edited: So, I re-papered the front wall and it looks much better now.....no hole! Then I found a companion paper for the kitchen and made a chair rail with that to cover the other hole. I am satisfied with it now it looks much better!!! :)

• Like 1

edited: So, I re-papered the front wall and it looks much better now.....no hole! Then I found a companion paper for the kitchen and made a chair rail with that to cover the other hole. I am satisfied with it now it looks much better!!! :)

Hooray! I love a happy ending. :D

• Like 1

I'm now at the dreaded decorating phase of my stone townhouse. Been to every craft paper and fabric store within a 10 mile radius. I've spent hours on the floor matching numerous combinations of paper and flooring. I love the "Build", just can't stand designing the interior!

I'm now at the dreaded decorating phase of my stone townhouse. Been to every craft paper and fabric store within a 10 mile radius. I've spent hours on the floor matching numerous combinations of paper and flooring. I love the "Build", just can't stand designing the interior!

:hmm: ... where's a mini interior desecrator when you need one? :D

Have you flipped through any home decor magazines or catalogs for inspiration? If you find a real life room you like, it might be easier to try to duplicate it in mini than to dream up a scheme out of bits and pieces, which can overwhelm anyone.

Had one of those "duh" moments over the weekend while attempting to clean up & organize my work room... "Why," I asked myself, "is it that you are constantly complaining that you can't see a blasted thing in this dang room (old house w/ no overhead lighting), yet your work space is back in the corner and totally blocked from the only source of natural light!?"

And so I re-arranged my room so that my work table is beside the sliding glass door. :) Duh.

Unfortunately it continues to be quite cold down there, and my little room heaters are currently occupied in the other basement trying to keep our water pipes from freezing....so I only do little bits and bobs of work on the Colonial rehab. It is coming along, however, and hopefully I can finish it up this weekend. I am expecting 2 more client houses soon, so I need to clear the bench to get ready for them.

• Like 1

I tried to purchase an antique tin soaking tub from France, but sadly it was sold. Probably a good thing as I would have been tempted to fix it up and that would have ruined the antique quality. So today I decided to replicate it with a porcelain tub I've had stashed away. It had blue flowers around it which wasn't going to do. I taped the interior and edge, spray primed it and gave it three coats of metallic espresso paint. It came out exactly how I wanted it. Yippee!

• Like 6

Well I have been going pretty fast on the Orchid. I have it almost all assembled EXCEPT the Bay Window! I can't figure it out with the instructions and the picture on the box is difficult to see . Does anyone have a good side view that I can see? I am very excited that it looks like an Orchid now! :)

• Like 1