What's everyone working on?

I did buy that antique bed, and a kitchen table. She lowered the price to my range. I'm on my cell phone right now but will post pix later. They were from an estate sale and preowned by a lady who had a

collection from the 1880's. This dealer only bought the 2 pieces but she said there was lots more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to hunt for this topic! I am so excited!!!!!!! I completed the exterior of my Orchid this afternoon!!! I want to make flower boxes and do landscaping but I can't believe I finished it! I am pretty pleased with it if I do say so myself. Touching up and stuff to do but now I can work on the inside which is really my favorite part!!! Happy Happy! :):):)

• Like 3

Yes Holly, its my first Orchid and I absolutely love it!!!! I have a few others I have waiting for me to do but you might be right I wouldn't mind doing another one now.

I have a Buttercup and and a Sugar Plum I want to do. I like small projects! I still have the inside to do on the Orchid......my favorite part actually.

I am having a ball ruining beautiful furniture pieces making them "shabby". I never tried this before but its not that hard. Just a lot of painting over varnish and sanding. Its FUN!!! I have been obsessed this entire week so now I need to rest my poor hands over the 3-day weekend!!!!

• Like 2

Im working on a French knot rug and a needle punch rug, both from Dodie Claypool's Mini Rugs 2 book. I started these last Fall, its about time I finished them. They are intended for my next Christmas cottage.

• Like 2

Thanks Selkie..On the red poinsettia I used variegated colored floss so it created the highs and lows without me having to think about it. The patterns in this book are not iron on transfers, just simple patterns to self-trace.

I am working on my furniture for the Orchid . I am going to TRY to make a sofa for the livingroom. I have one that I can kind of copy. This is my favorite part of dollhouse making. I could easily have someone else build the building part and I do the decorating. !

• Like 1

I made a lot of needle punch rugs in the 90's. I keep planning to make more but haven't yet. With the smallest needle and yarn, you can do excellent half scale and even 1/4 scale.

Morgan, do you have any examples of half scale rugs that you can show us? I got the tools and finally got the proper sized needles, but have been wondering about patterns and the final look of the piece.

I am having a ball ruining beautiful furniture pieces making them "shabby".

That's one of my very favorite things to do. I love making things distressed. Just ask my mom.

Karin, that rug is *awesome*! Do you change the scale by changing the number of threads you use? That question isn't very clear is it. For example, I use three strands of DMC for regular embroidery and one strand for mini work. For smaller scales or really delicate work, I use Nymo beading thread to embroider. I'm not very familiar with needle punch but I was curious about whether you use two strands for 1:12 and one strand for half scale and it automatically reduces the scale or if you have to reduce the pattern as well. I hope I'm not asking for a trade secret and if so, just tell me and I'll retract the question from my post. :-)

Deb

Deb, don't forget you need your even-weave fabric to have a larger tpi count for smaller scales. I made a whole bunch of lovely Oriental rugs for Mildred, only to discover my tpi was around 40, so they all live in the Fairfields now.