What's everyone working on?

Deb, Im not familiar with half scale punch needle, I was curious too, how its reduced. For 1:12 its done with one strand and an extra small punch needle...however in some of my older pattern transfer books for dollhouse rugs...they suggest using the two or even three strand punches for "filling in" large spaces. I haven't tried using more than one strand so I cant say if that seems out of scale.

For my French knot rugs...I LOVE doing French knots. I use three strands even for dollhouse rugs. The reason is, because I want to continue to love doing French knots and not lose my eyesight/patience etc...although I agree the one strand method is lovely and Im sure more true to scale. I was discussing this with a friend...rugs come in all different piles mine are by just a little deeper pile I guess. I don't think they look crazy out of scale. But I also tend to make food/flowers/plants on the larger spectrum of 1:12. The two rugs in the mouse cottage are the punch needle ones.

I buy weavers cloth for my rugs from punchneedle market place or ebay.

• Like 1

I just made a hanging pot rack for my half scale Rosedale. I'll post a how-to on my blog at some point but I'm so chuffed I just had to share the before and after pics. The parts came from the jewelery section at Michaels.

post-7-0-01020100-1392777238_thumb.jpg post-7-0-99003400-1392777395_thumb.jpg

Now I have to get some pots! I have a bunch but not with holes in the handles. I'm also planning to make a little butcher block island to go under the pot rack, the one in the photo is a placeholder.

• Like 3

I am working on my half scale Fairfield. It just recently started talking to me. So I am making modifications to the roof to make an attic that you peek into instead of such an open attic. I am also considering putting in attic trusses that I have cut down in size (taken from a 1:12 house kit).

post-58020-0-15229700-1392793986_thumb.j

• Like 1

Do you have a scanner with your printer? You could scan the classified ads from your paper (it's almost time for the annual legal notices, which are a good size for 1:12 attics) and reduce them 50% to put in your attic over the sealed wood, lay your rafter beams over that, and go back and stain the whole shebang with a used teabag.

• Like 2

I like that idea Holly, I'll have to give that a try when I get back to my Pierce. I am working on cutting my B&B siding for the Orchid, finishing up some mice I had been working on before, then it will be back to working on the barn. I found plans online for my fantasy build, a castle, I'm going to have John cut it out and assemble it, should keep him busy for awhile, then I'll take over and do all the fun stuff. :-) I think I've got my mojo back !!

• Like 2

As usual for me, way too many things at the same time; a1/144 scale house, a Victorian 1/4 scale, a 1/2 scale farmhouse, a one inch dress shop, a one inch kitchen that will be a Xmas gift for my sister, a half scale hatbox for next years club project. And just bought a shabby metal cupboard that I am going to turn into a shabby chic dollhouse, And last night I got a 1/2 scale Victorianna that will a priority,

• Like 1

... I think I've got my mojo back !!

So happy to hear this Stacey. Maybe tie a string on his ankle this time so that exasperating little mojo doesn't escape again.

• Like 4

Deb, Im not familiar with half scale punch needle, I was curious too, how its reduced. For 1:12 its done with one strand and an extra small punch needle...however in some of my older pattern transfer books for dollhouse rugs...they suggest using the two or even three strand punches for "filling in" large spaces. I haven't tried using more than one strand so I cant say if that seems out of scale.

For my French knot rugs...I LOVE doing French knots. I use three strands even for dollhouse rugs. The reason is, because I want to continue to love doing French knots and not lose my eyesight/patience etc...although I agree the one strand method is lovely and Im sure more true to scale. I was discussing this with a friend...rugs come in all different piles mine are by just a little deeper pile I guess. I don't think they look crazy out of scale. But I also tend to make food/flowers/plants on the larger spectrum of 1:12. The two rugs in the mouse cottage are the punch needle ones.

I buy weavers cloth for my rugs from punchneedle market place or ebay.

<grinning sheepishly> And that cloth is exactly the part I forgot when I was thinking about reducing scale. Now it makes sense to me. Thanks for taking the time to explain Karin and to show some examples. Your rugs are jaw-dropping gorgeous. IMO, they look in perfect scale to me compared to the sculpted rugs that I have here beside my real bed except your minis are much prettier. Doing all those french knots is hard on hands and eyes but the results are amazing.

I think I've got my mojo back !!

Wooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! That's excellent news!

Deb

• Like 1

I need some help. I bought a birdcage that is suppose to be a pendant but I want to use it in my Orchid. It even came with a little bird inside. I need ideas how to make a stand for the silver birdcage. It has a loop thingie on the top that is suppose to be for a necklace chain. I tried hanging it from the ceiling upstairs but it looked dopey just hanging in the middle of the room. Ideas?

If all else fails I can set it on a table somewhere but I was trying to hang it so the cat wouldn't get it. :p

Roxy, sorry about the spell check. I didnt notice that it changed you to Foxy! LOL

How about some craft wire? Maybe 20 gage. You could twist two or three pieces together, put a hook like a question mark in one end, with an upturned end for the cage. That shape would allow the cage to hng from the center. Then with the other end turn the tail round and round to make a spiral for the base/stand. The stand pole would be in the center of the base and the tail would be turned at a right angle and spiral outward.

• Like 2

I finally got some fimo puppen (puppen fimo) clay and have been 'practicing' making doll heads. I create, smush, recreate, and smush again. I do this over and over, because I'm trying to figure out facial structure and proportions. Because the heads are so small, it'll take lots of practice. Soon enough, I will create the dolls that will closely resemble my Beloved and I... and even my kids. :)

~morningstar~

...I'm trying to figure out facial structure and proportions...

What helped me was a trick I learned in art classes 'way back in high school. Most adult people's eyes are halfway between the top of the head and the chin, and approximately one eyeball width apart from each other. The mouth is about halfway between the eyes and the chin and in younger adults the hairline falls halfway between the eyes and the top of the head. The nose comes down to halfway between the eyes and the mouth, and the bridge of the nose extends up as far above the lower eyelid as the bottom of the nose is below it, with the eyebrows on a line from the top of the nose. You can tweak these measurements by taking face front photos of yourself and your Beloved. I lightly mark the clay with a pin before sculpting the face.

An interesting tidbit for making the hands is that if you put the heel of your hand level with your chin, your middle finger will touch your hairline and your nose will hit the middle of your palm.

• Like 1

Holly, the two of us must have been in the same art class...kind of... The only thing that I learned that was different was that the tip of the nose was half way between the eyebrows and the chin and the lips were one third down, between the nose and chin. LOL. That's how I do all of my drawing and sculpting. Seems to work for me.

• Like 2

Roxy, that cat better keep an eye on those mice and watch they don't go after him :D. I have a wicker birdcage and the stand has a round wooden base and dowel rods for the post and top bar, I like the wire idea better though. :)

• Like 1

Roxy, sorry about the spell check. I didnt notice that it changed you to Foxy! LOL

LOL @ Casey ! I had a dog named Foxy once!! :p

Casey, I kind of understand what you are telling me to do but I am not sure I have the hand strength to twist the wire. Its a great idea I will try it and see what I can do. I have some craft wire but it may not be thick enough. Thanks for your suggestion and Stacey's suggestion also :)

Love the pot rack!!!

Casey.......I used two pliers and twisted the wires together as evenly as possible. I have to figure out how to coil the base. I will take a picture when I get this figured out! :)

• Like 1

LOL @ Casey ! I had a dog named Foxy once!! :p

Casey, I kind of understand what you are telling me to do but I am not sure I have the hand strength to twist the wire. Its a great idea I will try it and see what I can do. I have some craft wire but it may not be thick enough. Thanks for your suggestion and Stacey's suggestion also :)

Love the pot rack!!!

Found a mini Shepherd's hook at a show once, all you would have to do is make a base wide enough so that it won't tip over from the weight of the cage.

Roxy, I was going to suggest pliers. Do you have a small bench vise? You can stabilize your twisted wires towards one end and use your pliers to coil a base; then move the wires up in the vise towards the other end and use the pliers to double bend your hook for hanging the cage.

Roxy, ideally you would have a pair of round nosed pliers and a pair of needle nosed pliers. I always forget that not everyone is a tool junkie like me. I have those from jewelry making.

After you have the wires twisted together and the top ? Shape made, you will make a right angle bend in the bottom of the wire, where you want the base to center. Then you will make a tight circle around the center stem as close as you can. This is where the small pliers come in. You start the round with the round nosed pliers. If you don't have those, try laying something like a small crochet hook, parallel to the upright on the stand and start to pull the wire around that. Once you get it started, you can use the flat part of the needle nose pliers to guide the tail of the wire into a spiral and keep the spiral flat and at a right angle to the center post.

When you are done, simply snip off the excess wire. It should be a spiral with the stem rising out of the center. That turns into the ? At the top.

Now that I have you thoroughly confused... Good luck!

Thank you Holly for your suggestions and tips. I like the idea of how to figure out the proportions by your description. I'm going to copy pasta your post and put it in a notepad, if you don't mind, for later referencing while I'm working.

*hugggggles*

~morningstar~