Secret Room

pdlnpeabody

The secret room for my daughter's Tudor house is nearly complete. I still need to make the wine racks, brick entrance/corridoor and sliding wall, but the room itself only needs a few spots on the wall patched and painted. I wish there was an easier way to build a wall with recessed arched shelves, but I couldn't think of any other way. It took nearly 500 hand made parts to build.

post-587-1234162460_thumb.jpg

post-587-1234162477_thumb.jpg

Shucks, Jeremy ... I'll adopt YOU if you'll come work on the house over here so I can watch! :suck:

I don't know. . . the amount of time it takes to make each piece - it might be more entertaining to watch paint dry! :p

I implement an assembly line approach to making parts so that they stay consistent and to get the boring part of building out of the way, so it does get tedious on almost a daily basis. The end results make it all worth it when everything comes together. I'm still surprised that it looks so good. I'm not creative. I can duplicate almost anything I see, but to design something original is way out of my element. Usually the results are lacking in something. Even the design of this house was based on details I've seen on different existing houses, but the secret room was completely original. I'm debating whether to put recessed lighting in the niches or not. Changing bulbs might be too much trouble.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback!

I'm debating whether to put recessed lighting in the niches or not. Changing bulbs might be too much trouble.
My idea was similar to Corwin's. Is the secret room's back wall an exterior wall? you could hinge it so you could access the lights/ wiring.