What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

3 hours ago, Muriel said:

My wish is for a pavlova for my cake, so blueberries and strawberries would work well with that! 

Two cakes are better than one. :) 

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

Two cakes are better than one. :) 

Well that gave me a good giggle and smile this morning, yup, you are correct! I like your thinking. 

3 hours ago, Muriel said:

Well that gave me a good giggle and smile this morning, yup, you are correct! I like your thinking. 

Never mind two cakes. I Googled pavlova and found this photo and several others like it. I've never had a pavlova. Now I am drooling on the keyboard. I have the recipe and look forward to making it. :) 

pavlova.jpg

Edited by KathieB

Pavlova originated in NZ and it's a traditional Christmas dessert here.   

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I also looked up the recipe; much too sweet for me!

It's actually not that sweet!  I'm not a big sweet eater either, but we usually add strawberries and kiwifruit on top and it's a really lovely light dessert - depending upon how much whipped cream you also put on top!!

Not too sweet, but we don't sweeten the cream which helps balance it. Lots of yummy fruit on top, perfect. (You can mix whipped cream with plain yoghurt for a slightly tarter taste if you prefer)

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:59 AM, Muriel said:

Not too sweet, but we don't sweeten the cream which helps balance it. Lots of yummy fruit on top, perfect. (You can mix whipped cream with plain yoghurt for a slightly tarter taste if you prefer)

Yes we don't sweeten the cream either.  Love the idea of plain yoghurt mixed in - will try that next time!!

I don't sweeten the cream either but if you use sharper flavored berries like raspberries or blueberries, it counteracts the sweet meringue.  Might make one this weekend just because I can.

Edited by Debz
  • Like 1

We had a bbq with homemade burgers, hotdogs, bratwurst, potato salad, pasta salad, green salad, grilled veg, crudites, dips, and grilled sweetcorn. There were 11 of us, so just a few bites of each thing filled each plate twice! After all the lockdowns this was the first time in a couple years our two families could meet up in the garden, and it was just so lovely to have everyone there. My niece made my cake, it was delicious and red, white and blue in honour of my American side (my Mummy is American). Birthday is Monday, but loved my early celebration. 

small.IMG_20210710_204349_compress41.jpg

• Like 2

This has been a day. I was heading out to run a few errands this morning when I saw a figure standing at our front door. It's glass with a sheer but we have a security door so I wasn't immediately worried someone was going to break in and murder me. But it is still very disconcerting to see the dark figure of someone standing at your door. He didn't knock, didn't ring the bell, was just standing there.

I peeked through the sheer and saw it was our next door neighbor. I opened the door and he was very confused. He spoke clearly but just gibberish. "When the what for the go-to and-and-and over to there..." or something close to that.

He is sharp, well-spoken, intelligent, always up on current events. This was not like him. I fear he may have had a stroke. Rather than waiting for an ambulance, I got him into my car and drove him to the VA Hospital. I know he served in Vietnam, so I took a chance they had his records. They did, plus contact info for his family.

I waited until they got him into a room. I'm sure they'll run tests for a stroke. He could not answer any of their questions coherently, and since I'm not a contact person or a relative, they wouldn't (and shouldn't!) give me any information.

I'm usually pretty good in a crisis but this has been so upsetting. I keep wanting to burst into tears. He is such a nice man, always ready to lend a hand without being asked, he just hops over and cheerfully offers, "Let me help you with that!"

His name is Barry if you would like to keep him in your thoughts. I will let you know what happens when I find out.

In today's day and age, people usually don't know their neighbors names much less recognize signs of a stroke because they are not acting like their normal selves. He is very lucky that you live nearby and got him help fast!

My dad and I were waiting in the ER for him to be seen for a possible infection in his foot.  It was the weekend, and he has Parkinson's and diabetes. He gets infections real easily. I noticed he was super sleepy, garbling his speech, and not his normal self. I could see one side of his face was drooping. After eR doc said not infection (4 hour visit), i told him that I thought my dad was having a stroke. The doc said to my dad, "smile." My dad did, doc says to me nope. I mentioned the drooping. He said, no that's from the Parkinson's (this was first time my dad had ever seen that doc). So we went home. He got progressively worse, returned at 3am with my mom, who drove him. My brother had to help load him into car cause he could no longer walk. He ended up staying for 2 weeks because he had a stroke.

So even though he was your neighbor, you did good staying with him and getting him the care he needs.

• Like 1

Medieval, that is terrible about your father. Shocking a doctor could be so dismissive and make assumptions about what was causing certain symptoms.

One hears similar horror stories about the VA but I'll hand it to them, they were fast, efficient, kind and reassuring. I left feeling that my neighbor was in good hands.

• Like 1

Trying valiantly to reorganise my workroom but it is like doing a jigsaw puzzle.I have stuff stored all over and have to move this to get that in it's place.It will come right eventually , I have a great picture in my head but I am making more mess to get it done...anyway once commited I dare not stop otherwise I am done for. I am checking every box inside too just to be sure. There are times I think stamp collecting would have been easier. 

2 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Trying valiantly to reorganise my workroom but it is like doing a jigsaw puzzle.I have stuff stored all over and have to move this to get that in it's place.It will come right eventually , I have a great picture in my head but I am making more mess to get it done...anyway once commited I dare not stop otherwise I am done for. I am checking every box inside too just to be sure. There are times I think stamp collecting would have been easier. 

I have felt your pain, Jeannine. And this too shall pass and you shall be organized.....eventually.

5 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I have felt your pain, Jeannine. And this too shall pass and you shall be organized.....eventually.

The problem is I have an extremely neat mind and I need my surroundings to match but I have spent so much time  letting go of many of my crafts I have made a huge mess everywhere and I have to get it sorted. It doesn;t help that I fell from the third step outside a couple of days ago and landed on my tail bone so I have a whole new set of owies to deal with..but I was lucky. I distinctly remember as I was flying through the air,, here goes a hip. but I was wrong, just a heap of bruises and pulled muscles. I have craft stuff in every closet and every room and my plan is to get it all under control in 1 dedicated room now.  I have been collecting Petite Properties 1.48 scale houses for some time, the idea was that I could do them on my lap when I am no longer able to use a work table but the silly thing is I have almost all of what they make,Even if I ever made them all I would have no place to put them, Still it is good to look at them, handle them, then pack them away again.  I think it is called hoarding but it my case it has to be very neat hoarding..

That neat hoarding thing....My workroom is a 10x12 bedroom and I desperately needed more table space and better shelving. So i draw a 1:12 room schematic. I used the same scale to cut out furniture shapes from paper to scale. Then I moved the paper furniture around on the schematic until I could fit in a second table with all the other furniture and still have access. Also, I put wheels on the big toy box that serves as an island for the dollhouse I am working on. So I can move it for access and turn it to the light as needed.

But you are so right. I only had to move stuff once, but what a mess till it was done!

10 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I have a great picture in my head but I am making more mess to get it done

You can't make an omelet without breaking eggs. Keep at it, and soon it will all fall into place.

2 hours ago, Medieval said:

So i draw a 1:12 room schematic. I used the same scale to cut out furniture shapes from paper to scale. Then I moved the paper furniture around on the schematic until I could fit in a second table with all the other furniture and still have access. 

Jess, I've been doing that for years! But mostly for designing my dollhouses, so the rooms are big enough for my mini furniture.