What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

We had toad in the hole today. We've had a few not turn out great recently for various reasons (husband doesn't like cooking, so doesn't do it so much, so doesn't have the knowledge or confidence to try or tweak recipes) We had no extra fat one time (just a tiny bit from pretty lean sausages), cold fat another time, too much flour to egg ratio another time (he says scales didn't work, but didn't occur to him to just put more milk in) cremated sausages, only self raising flour available (for some reason rose less than regular flour!) and one time no flour, so I used polenta and we had hippos in sand (wouldn't recommend)

Today's rose, was tasty, just a little overdone. Learning each time. 

Back in the day I managed to visit a cousin in Birmingham for a few days on stopovers between the US and other European cities once or twice a year. I always requested toad in the hole when she asked what I'd like to eat. :) 

4 minutes ago, Muriel said:

toad in the hole today

I just had to google how the UK does Toad in the hole....Now I am craving sausage. Your version is much more complicated than the US version, but looks yummy.

Long sausages and a bit of oil in a roasting pan, put in the oven for 10-15 mins. Pour thin-ish  pancake/Yorkshire pudding batter over keeping the pan as hot as possible, straight back in the oven for 25ish minutes (don't open the oven door!!) Not too hard, but easy to go wrong it seems.

I tend to use 2 eggs, 140g plain flour, 175ml (3/4 cup) milk, and pepper for batter. Recipes tend to say cook 35-40 minutes but we prefer ours less well cooked. 

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Your version is much more complicated than the US version, but looks yummy.

What is the US version? 

24 minutes ago, Muriel said:

What is the US version? 

Generally understood to be an egg fried in a hole cut out of the center of a piece of bread.  See it here.

The pigs in a blanket that Holly mentions are usually cocktail sausages wrapped in dough. See them here.

1 hour ago, Muriel said:

What is the US version? 

It is also called an egg  in the basket. This is the first thing my kids learned to make using the stove. They love it, I'm not much of a fried egg enthusiast....scrambled is my favorite. That's why I think the UK version looks yummy.

42 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Generally understood to be an egg fried in a hole cut out of the center of a piece of bread.  See it here.

The pigs in a blanket that Holly mentions are usually cocktail sausages wrapped in dough. See them here.

Ok, the sausages wrapped in dough is very like our sausage rolls - usually it is sausage meat here, rather than cocktail sausages.

Sausage-Rolls-recipe_5.jpg

48 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Sounds a lot like pigs in blankets to me.  

Pigs in blankets here are sausages wrapped in bacon :D 

0_10-Bacon-Wrapped-Sausages.jpg

How funny things are called different names!

When I make pigs in blankets it isn't any cocktail sausages; I like pieces of smoked turkey sausage or kielbasa and I wrap them in pieces of crescent roll dough.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

When I make pigs in blankets it isn't any cocktail sausages; I like pieces of smoked turkey sausage or kielbasa and I wrap them in pieces of crescent roll dough.

My Mom made them that way, too. :) 

I went to school with a member of The 19th Street Band (Facebook page) who normally play 200+ shows around the wider DC/Baltimore area a year, but of course haven't been able to for the last year and a bit. Instead they have been doing weekly hour long 'Health and Happiness' shows online from their kitchen. This of course has been fantastic for me as I never get to see them in the US, but have been able to watch and sing along from home over the last year. Their online show is usually a Thursday evening, 5:30 ET but 10:30 here in the UK. I love listening, but wish it was an hour earlier, my bedtime is 10:30 :D Ultimately works well for them though, US fans can listen in while making dinner, UK fans can still listen in and it isn't tooo late. 

Tonight I'm especially tired, I've submitted my grocery order for tomorrow's delivery (really going to have to choose another day to do most of my list!), I might be listening from bed I think, and will probably have to relisten tomorrow as I'll likely fall asleep in the middle!

I just got back from having an eye test which I have put off for a long time years actually. I don't have glasses but do use magnifiers and I guess I am the master of procastination. So.. I have cataracts in both eyes, one bad and one just starting to go.I think I was expecting it but I just want to swear or kick the cat (just kidding) So now waiting for appointment with an eye surgeon. Regular waiting times here are a joke so I have opted to go private, still a waiting list but hopefully not too long. Grrrhh!!

I've been wearing glasses ever since I needed them to pass Driver's Ed and get my license when I was 18, so going on 61 years.

I finally needed glasses at age 43 and wore them for about 30 years. When I developed cataracts, I chose the monovision  option, which means the lens in one eye focuses on distance and the other lens focuses on near items (like reading, miniature work, etc.). The ophthalmologist who offered this option said that it is used in your children fairly often, as their little growing bodies adapt fairly quickly. It was only then being suggested for adults. 

Surprisingly, it did not take long for my brain to get rewired for the new situation. Each eye does what it is supposed to do, and they hand the responsibility back and forth seamlessly, without getting me consciously involved. No glasses needed. 

I do keep a  magnifying glass in a kitchen drawer to read the fine print on some packaging. It is so small that I think someone with perfect vision would be hard put to make it out.

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I chose the monovision  option, which means the lens in one eye focuses on distance and the other lens focuses on near items.

Fascinating! Very cool that such an option exists and that your body and brain can adapt to different lenses. 

Hopefully your wait isn't too long Jeannine and procedures go smoothly. I think if I've been putting something off and eventually do it, I kinda just have to reset. So rather than dwelling on 'if only I'd done it sooner and not avoided it...' I try and think 'ok, I know what is wrong and this is how I'll fix it/manage it going forwards' (and then I procrastinate some more, shhhh, but I try not to dwell on what I can't change)

Great that you've already put yourself forward for an appointment! 

All of this chatter about food is making me hungry!!  LOL  Hubby and I haven't really had a decent meal this week....between therapy sessions, vet appointments for the ailing cat, haircut appointments and evening work shifts.... last nite it was a quick trip to the burger joint drive-thru in between appointments! ugh.  We are both looking forward to our belated Easter gathering with the family on Saturday.  It's been dubbed "The Nelson Easter Feaster".  LOL :clap: We'll have the usual: ham, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and a multitude of other items - including homemade peanut butter eggs (by me) for the adults and plenty of plastic eggs for the grandkids to hunt!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I just got back from having an eye test which I have put off for a long time years actually. I don't have glasses but do use magnifiers and I guess I am the master of procastination. So.. I have cataracts in both eyes, one bad and one just starting to go.I think I was expecting it but I just want to swear or kick the cat (just kidding) So now waiting for appointment with an eye surgeon. Regular waiting times here are a joke so I have opted to go private, still a waiting list but hopefully not too long. Grrrhh!!

You will be so surprised after surgery....My father and FIL couldn't believe how diminished their vision had become. My father in law remarked that he couldn't believe he had been wearing such an ugly shirt with pink in it and didn't even realize it!

• Haha 1

Thank you all, I have no one to blame but myself for putting it off and I have heard good things from several folks about it.The surgeon chosen is the cream of the crop so I think all will be well. I knew I had been struggling as my painting was getting bad despite the magnifiers so I am going to look fiorward to to all inds of good things.

Jackie your planned meal sounds delicious, have a super day, I envy you.What is a peanut butter egg please?

3 hours ago, chapchap73 said:

A peanut butter egg is a sweetened peanut butter filling that is shaped into a flattened egg and then coated with chocolate. They are delicious!

When you said they were for the adults, I figured they must have a splash of something alcoholic in them. :D 

Edited by KathieB
  • Haha 1

WELL i HAE HD TO TAKE A BREAK FROM BUILDING MY HOUSE.THE WOOD DUST REALLY GOT TO ME TODAY BU THE MAIN THING WAS MY FINGERS ARE ALL SORE AND CHIPPED, IME BLEEDING SO i AM SOAKING IN CREAM, WITH WHITE GLOVES ON, HOPEFUULY THE CRACKING ETC WILL GO AWAY AFTER A FEW DAYS OF THIS CREAM AND GLOVE TREATMENT. sORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS, TOO TIRED AND SORE TO RE WRITE IT

yep but I can't work in them, I can;t use latex anyway s I have a real bad leatex allergy.It is mostly splinters, some of this house had very crumbly wood, much mote than the last one so  have to be careful at the ends as it crumbles as I sand it.. No problem,. I can work on some curatians or something for a few days.

It was all dry fitted, walls changed to my liking, then taken down nd the gluing begun sio a good time to rest it for a few days.