What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I have new floor in my RL sitting room and hall, I've wanted to rip the carpet up for years!! 

small.IMG_20210609_215927_compress97.jpg

Rosie looks forlorne, but she's resting from a walk while we finish removing furniture. 

large.IMG_20210611_154949_compress25.jpg

Much better!

small.IMG_20210611_155010_compress60.jpg

Now we have the laborious task of painting the skirting boards - previously painted with thick gloss over unsmoothed boards. Doing them from scratch in dollhouse size is so much more appealing ;) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Muriel said:

I have new floor in my RL sitting room and hall, ...Now we have the laborious task of painting the skirting boards - previously painted with thick gloss over unsmoothed boards. Doing them from scratch in dollhouse size is so much more appealing ;) 

Having just about finished a kitchen renovation, I can feel your excitement. Think of the painting as working on a large scale doll house, one you can actually live in!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Having just about finished a kitchen renovation, I can feel your excitement. Think of the painting as working on a large scale doll house, one you can actually live in!

Ok, that is a good way to make it much more exciting! :D

Leg is healing well. Doctor tells me I'll be off the treatment machine soon. Been designing some jewelry lately. Thinking of opening an etsy shop to sell. I made some earrings for the nurses who have been taking care of me each week and they loved them. I took some dangling flowers, and threaded a crystal dangle through them that matched the color perfectly. Tonight we're having spinach lasagna. 

The hubs decided we needed to take a road trip to see what we could do and picked Mississippi to start.  We left a week ago Tuesday and went to Natchez.  On the way we stopped in McComb,MS, to visit their railroad museum, but they had had a fire recently that totally destroyed irreplaceable antique railroad equipment.  MS hasn't fully reopened after Covid, especially in Natchez, so we spent one night and spent the next AM visiting the Grand Village of the Natchez.  The first time we drove the Natchez Trace we stopped in Jackson, MS, because Natchez was still dealing with floods after that year's big storms, so after our visit to the Village we drove the Trace to Jackson to spend a few days.  We spent one day going to Indianola to visit the BB King Museum & Heritage Center and another visiting the Natural Science Museum in Jackson; both were almost all-day visits (for us, anyway).  On the way back from Indianola we saw a sign for a petrified forest, so we checked that out; it was just an hour until they closed the gates so we didn't tour.  From Jackson we went to Meridian to try the Jimmie Rodgers Museum one more time, but it was still not open.  The entire time we were in Mississippi it rained.

Our next stop was Tuscaloosa, AL, since the U of AL is there and Moundville is close by (in case you haven't guessed, the hubs & I are fans of blues music, trains, museums and Indian mounds); no rain.  We spent the entire day at Moundville; until the mid-15th Century it was a huge major city and there are still over a dozen good sized mounds there.  The museum is quite good.  At nearly 80 I tend to run out of steam, so I finally remembered to ask the hubs for a day off and we spent this past Monday resting up for the rest of the trip and researching what else we could find.  We drove around Tuscaloosa to orient ourselves and went museum-hunting on the campus of UA.  Their natural history museum is housed on the second floor of 110-year-old Smith Hall, the Geology School, named for Alabama's first state geologist.  It's painfully obvious that they don't have much budget, because their entire collection is housed in one large open two-storey room on the second floor; local fossils line the ends and one side wall and mineral specimens line the the other side wall.  The third floor gallery holds the promise of future exhibits with one small live beehive of honeybees.

Weather news of the storm brewing in the Gulf and making landfall today cut our trip short and Thursday AM we headed out on I20 for Birmingham to pick up I65 to head home.  We stopped in Calera, AL, to visit their railroad museum.  They do weekend excursion train rides.  They have collected an impressive number of elderly railroad cars for restoration; one Pullman car looks to be too far gone, which was depressing; but overall there was a lot of history to see there.  We stopped in Greenville to spend our last night on the road; it's halfway between Tuscaloosa and our house and in the shopping center across from all the motels there's a Wintzell's Oyster House.  We caught a few small showers on the way home yesterday; nothing like what we'd had in MS.

Oh I bet it was good to get out and away Holly! Sounds like some full days exploring and visiting. 

I have two 1m sections to do in the hallway, then our skirting boards are done. Finished the sitting room this afternoon, now just need to move the furniture back in. 

small.IMG_20210619_192948_compress74.jpg

You can see the difference in colour from skirting board to door frame. We've had the house 20 years or so and have never painted the trim, so it is going to be so nice to have them white rather than very off white old colour.  

I like rearranging rooms, but haven't had the chance to really here. I'm hoping to try something new out when we put the furniture back in, but to make it work we need to install another socket. (This house came with one socket in each room!) So for now I'm debating running an extension lead across the room, til we can get the electrician in. Chris isn't quite convinced, he likes things to stay as they were rather than have change. With the change of a hardwood floor rather than carpet, feel I should put room rearranging in at the same time :p One of the reasons is to display a couple houses a bit better (two of them were stuck behind the door) another to have my Christmas tree in front of the window when the time comes.  

13 hours ago, Muriel said:

have my Christmas tree in front of the window when the time comes.  

If that's not a reason to rearrange the room, I don't know what is! Get onto the electrician to put in a 2nd socket. An extension cord across the room sounds  bit iffy, if not downright dangerous.

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

Get onto the electrician to put in a 2nd socket. An extension cord across the room sounds  bit iffy, if not downright dangerous.

Yeah, very short term, hoping he can come this week. 

Love the new floors, Muriel!

Our lives have been pretty crazy lately dealing with getting my mother-in-law into a care facility.  Yes, I just went thru this recently with my own mother, but this time it's from the opposite end of the spectrum: through medical assistance since she has no money.  It's been a whirlwind journey since January - and a huge learning curve!  But on Wednesday of this week we moved her out of the house and into the care facility that just happens to be about two blocks away.  Settlement on the house is July 8, so after that I think we can all relax a bit!

It's been several days of absolutely lovely weather around here, and after an exhausting two days doing the last-minute packing for mother-in-law, I found myself REALLY needing some ME time! Hubby said the same thing, so that Wednesday evening we both set about doing our own interests. I sat outside on the patio and stained dollhouse flooring (about the same shade as Muriel's new floor!)....and then just sat and enjoyed the beautiful evening for a time! 🙂

Made another leap in healing on the leg. I basically just have one sore that is still healing, and I've healed the other two. Things have been a little tricky with our oven lately. We've been getting an error code off and on when it's on for a long time, like when cooking a roast. Will have to try to reach the repairman this week.

10 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Made another leap in healing on the leg. I basically just have one sore that is still healing, and I've healed the other two. Things have been a little tricky with our oven lately. We've been getting an error code off and on when it's on for a long time, like when cooking a roast. Will have to try to reach the repairman this week.

smiley-face-clip-art-thumbs-up-clipart-two-thumbs-up-happy-smiley-emoticon-512x512-eec61.jpg

Weeping at home a lot, after all the problems re my cataract surgery due for last Thursday, the day came, I went, was all prepped and ready and in the OR, Surgeon came in and changed his mine\d he refused to do it. I was gutted.Still very confused and weepy. IT seems to me that the last 2 years have been one long medical let down for me...I have frankly had enough..

12 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Surgeon came in and changed his mine\d he refused to do it. I was gutted. Still very confused and weepy.

Oh, Jeannine, what a horrible experience. I hope you can discuss with your ophthalmologist and sort out why the surgery wasn't done and what options are available. Sending big hugs and a box of tissues. :console:

Aw Jeannine what a let down!  And it takes so much prep to get yourself ready for an operation, mentally and emotionally!  Totally understand both the frustration and the sadness!  Thinking of you. xxx

I usually celebrate with some American cooking, but this year it really crept up on me and passed us by without me planning anything. We may need to catch up, we'll see how time is. It's my birthday next week, I'm having a family bbq, I'm sure I can cook something for that! What are your suggestions?

2 hours ago, Muriel said:

I usually celebrate with some American cooking, ... It's my birthday next week, I'm having a family bbq, I'm sure I can cook something for that! What are your suggestions?

A traditional Mid-western meal would include hamburgers, hot dogs, sweet corn, potato salad, and watermelon. Other parts of the country will vary.

A cake with red, white, and blue decorations would make a great birthday cake. White icing decorated with strawberries and blueberries ... yummm. :) 

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1