What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

11 hours ago, grazhina said:

Jess, I've been doing that for years! But mostly for designing my dollhouses, so the rooms are big enough for my mini furniture.

I never thought of that! To do it for a dh. But it was dh  scale that gave me the idea. One of the things I love about this forum is how much I learn from others, even just following someone else's convo. This place and it's people are a lifeline, beyond even just minis. For me, anyway.

8 hours ago, Medieval said:

This place and it's people are a lifeline, beyond even just minis. For me, anyway.

You are not alone. This forum is a comfortable gathering place for kindred spirits, and our admins are diligent in rooting out spammers and other miscreants. It is a safe place, and we thank them for keeping it so. 

• Like 2

Glad to know I am not alone in this neatness thing. I am about 85% finished..yeahh!! It involved the whole house, so every cupboard,closet, desk, pantry, drawer, box and tin has been opened, organised. labelled where needed etc.Tons of stuff packed for the charity shop. I just have 4 small boxes of sorted stuff to put away into their new homes. My wall to wall bookcases 6 in all have neat labelled boxes on them,I bought a box of  50 cardboard ones  from Ikea  then I have  20 plastic ones ,and on the floor I have a stack of large plastic totes with my fabrics etc in 4 side by side and 4 high plus 2. So everything is falling into place. Gee it has taken 3 weeks and I am done in but so close to finishing. Maybe now I can get down to really getting something done.

Funny thing happened. I have passed on many of my assorted crafts but still have a fair few. I noticed when going through all my quilting fabrics, my fingers were itching to start piecing, with my cross stitch stuff the yearning to start stiching was strong, ditto with my stash of Petit Properties,my china painting etc etc. With every different thing my heart was telling me to start something, I was so pleased my head won and I kept going with the sorting, another week and I will be finished and can do anyone of them..

I wonder what folks do that are not interested in any hobbies.I have a friend who doesn't and she doesn't garden or cook either.Her house looks like a showroom, ditto her car and her too.. still I guess it works for her.

On 7/17/2021 at 4:52 AM, havanaholly said:

We are a huge, world wide family and most of us care very much for each other.

Yep and I always think of you as big Mama..always supportive, so much knowlwedge and the stories of your doings..you surely ain't going quietly into the night.You are a star

• Like 1

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I know an awful lot about how NOT to do things.

:note: :note:  "You've got to  accentuate the positive,  eliminate the negative, and don't mess with Mr. In between." :note: :note:

One of my favorite old saws:

Young son:  Daddy, what makes the sky blue?

Dad:  I don't know, Son.

Young son:  Daddy, what makes it rain?

Young son:  Daddy, why is Mommy mad?

Young son:  Daddy, does it bother you that I ask a lot of questions?

Dad:  Why, no, Son; how will you learn things if you don't ask questions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been volunteering on a church camp for 85 kids aged 8-15 for 10 days. I've visited for a day or two each year previously, but this was the first time I could make it to the full camp. I was camp nurse. It is a full on job 17-18 hours a day, including helping at mealtime, going to helpers meetings, putting difficult kids to bed... A 15 minute break at 2pm if I was lucky (compulsory 20 minutes silence rest time). It was very hard work and definitely very tiring towards the end, but me being there meant those 85 kids got to have a fantastic time outdoors, so I'd go again in a heartbeat. Mostly scrapes, bumps, stings and bites, especially from the youngest boys, but part of it was a cuddle from a mother figure too. A few more serious injuries, though only one requiring a hospital trip. A few repeatedly homesick kids, one in particular needed sitting with each night til he fell asleep, and then again when he invariably woke up an hour later, but he had a great time during the day! Sadly not enough vacation days in the year, kinda needed a few days to recover! 

Tomorrow hoping to finish returning the sitting room to normal so that I can unpack the Christmas Fairfield again. 

Edited by Muriel
  • Like 1

And then other family members have other ideas... Natasha watching Lord of the Rings with Daddy Chivs. It is a looong film, I'm not getting any more done in there today I don't think! Did manage to clean up a lot of stuff dumped there after camp, so some progress, just not as much as I'd hoped (cooked a big lunch this morning!).

small.IMG_20210801_154303_compress74.jpg

43 minutes ago, Muriel said:

And then other family members have other ideas.

It is difficult to get priorities synched up sometimes! Time to throw up your hands and recognize that it will still be there tomorrow. :D 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our power went out this afternoon (we still haven't figured out why) so we left a few minutes early to go eat lamb at our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant and celebrate 58 years of living together without killing each other.

• Like 5

I just splashed out and bought a  Babylock serger. I had a serger  one before but never got used to it so I am hoping this new one will be easier. Does anyone use one and if so can you suggest a good quality Serger thread

Jeanine, I’m no expert—I bought myself a Babylock serger a while back and have yet to sit down and learn how to use it! (dumb, I know) BUT I did get a supply of Gütermann overlocker thread to use—I started using Gütermann thread in my sewing machine when I bought a Bernina, and it is really excellent. The woman who taught the Bernina classes convinced me that if you have invested in a good machine, you shouldn’t skimp on the thread you use with it. Joann Fabrics carries a good selection.

So far, this week, I’ve been busy watering the Memorial Garden and an assortment of planted pots at my church. I am on a team of volunteers which rotates watering duties during the summer, and keeps up with weeding etc. as needed. A rainy July meant we didn’t have as much watering to do, but the weeds have been growing like weeds😆

And I took a road trip up to Claremont, NH today, to meet up with a lady selling a lovely little antique Willcox & Gibbs sewing machine through Craigslist. We found we were kindred spirits who love collecting vintage sewing machines (mostly Singers) and restoring them to working condition,  so it was fun to chat with her. 

I might be traveling to Connecticut later this week on a dollhouse mission, though, to buy (after weeks of debating should I or shouldn’t I) a Queen Anne kit. This person’s asking price was somewhat less than RGT’s, plus I would save the huge shipping fees, and I made him an offer, and we negotiated a price about in the middle range. 

I haven’t had much minis time this summer (my garden and the church gardens!), and this kit will go into the queue with the others “awaiting real estate,” but anticipation is half the fun, isn’t it?

I went to Home Depot the other day and found 2 nice 2x4 sheets of 1/4" Baltic birch plywood to build a couple of room boxes with. I'm going to make room settings using the furniture collections from various dollhouses I've sold. Started work on my Maine lobsterman's kitchen since I've just about steeled myself to selling his cottage. I bought the box to pack it in when I went to Home Depot, now I'll have to take pictures of it unfurnished in order to list it.

Years ago I bought wooden placemats to use as flooring, but hadn't had occasion to utilize one of them til today. I want the room to have a bit of architectural interest, so this evening I started working on a design for the lobsterman's door. Had it just about done but my back got sore from sitting in the chair and my eyes were getting ready to give out anyway, so I quit for the evening.

I've already arranged the furniture for 2 other future room boxes. I've got a few other furniture pieces I love, but still haven't figured out what to do with them. Now I'm going to have to clean my workroom up again. Everything keeps landing on the floor and I need to be able to walk around my new sheets of plywood. I want to keep them laying flat.

And today I am sulking a tiny bit, because Hurricane Henri will be upon us tomorrow, the day I was going to drive down to CT to pick up that Queen Anne kit. A First World problem, to be sure! And Henri is only a Category 1 storm—I can hear you Southerners yawning from here, as that would be a real nothingburger for all of you. It’s still a big nuisance, though. A vigorous “nor’easter” can bring a similar wind velocity, but there aren’t leaves on the deciduous trees then. So a tropical storm tends to knock more trees down.

We have a whole house generator, so as long as we don’t lose any trees near the house…

Anyone else in New England waiting on this storm?

52 minutes ago, peonyfoxburr said:

And today I am sulking a tiny bit, because Hurricane Henri will be upon us tomorrow, the day I was going to drive down to CT to pick up that Queen Anne kit. A First World problem, to be sure! And Henri is only a Category 1 storm—I can hear you Southerners yawning from here, as that would be a real nothingburger for all of you. It’s still a big nuisance, though. A vigorous “nor’easter” can bring a similar wind velocity, but there aren’t leaves on the deciduous trees then. So a tropical storm tends to knock more trees down.

We have a whole house generator, so as long as we don’t lose any trees near the house…

Anyone else in New England waiting on this storm?

I'm in Kennebunk about a mile or two from the ocean, forecast for us so far just sounds like a typical windy rainy day. We have a whole house generator too as Central Maine Power sucks.

4 hours ago, peonyfoxburr said:

...Henri is only a Category 1 storm—I can hear you Southerners yawning from here...

ALL  hurricanes are to be taken seriously, Elizabeth (I grew up in S FL and remember well the hurricane that blew through West Palm Beach in 1948).  Bring in/ tie down anything outside that's a potential projectile (garbage can, lawn furniture, yard art, etc) and fill your car's gas tank as well as the gas can for your generator, and your bathtub and sinks with water as well as big jugs of drinking water and put fresh batteries in your weather radio.

51 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

ALL  hurricanes are to be taken seriously, Elizabeth (I grew up in S FL and remember well the hurricane that blew through West Palm Beach in 1948).  Bring in/ tie down anything outside that's a potential projectile (garbage can, lawn furniture, yard art, etc) and fill your car's gas tank as well as the gas can for your generator, and your bathtub and sinks with water as well as big jugs of drinking water and put fresh batteries in your weather radio.

Holly, Im fairly certain that @peonyfoxburris well versed on how to handle their weather emergencies as it's not her first rodeo.  She was simply making a reference how us "southerners" maybe be yawning.  Maybe we should all take a step back and not make things larger than they were presented.

@peonyfoxburrI am a new southerner but am absolutely mesmerized by how these storms present themselves and sometimes how quickly they form.  I would be utterly depressed if I was scheduled to pick up a Queen Anne as well!  Actually Id be scrambling to try and get it early hahahahaha.  Hope you can rearrange pick up of the QA easily and quickly.

• Like 2

We're dusting dollhouses today!

large.IMG_20210822_134642_compress86.jpg

large.IMG_20210822_134622_compress55.jpg

And filling them up again 

large.IMG_20210822_134549_compress65.jpg

large.IMG_20210822_134659_compress75.jpg

I was admiring what a good job I did rehabbing the inside of this Willow house, all the floor and wall treatments with it already built... Outside definitely needs some work, think the shutters are just too chunky for my liking, so I've never properly finished them. Remember cutting out all those window frames for the outside, oh my fingers hurt!

• Like 4