What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the first rug. I'm about half done. All the rugs (except the bath mat which is pink) are in different shades of browns, cream, and tans, and on the smaller side. I'm currently doing the abstract circle rug from the miniature carpet book, the other two to follow are the gazelle rug from the 20th century embroidery book and an out of print Janet Granger design, which also has abstract circles on it. Had beef stew for dinner.

In addition to a mini Aubusson (from Pamela Warner's book) in honor of our godawful cold weather and an irresistible deal on gonzo-size yarn skeins at Ollie's I started an Aran Isle sweater and some striped socks from a different batch of yarn there.  Last night I took a couple of catfish fillets and spread some leftover cornbread stuffing mix I'd made for pork chops on one side and rolled them up and popped them into pyrex ramekins to bake.

Between exhaustion from having the dogs in all night for the past 2 weeks (which entails bathrooms breaks every 2 hours - I swear it's like having a baby again) and my cold work room, I haven't progressed on my Pierce. I'm on vacation this week, so I will put in some time. I'm working on roof and then touch ups on exterior and finishing porch. I think I could be all done in another month!  Maybe 2 or 3. Lol

8 hours ago, Medieval said:

Between exhaustion from having the dogs in all night for the past 2 weeks (which entails bathrooms breaks every 2 hours - I swear it's like having a baby again) 

I here ya! My Morgan cat is ill and his preferred resting place is on mama's lap so I sleep when he does. 

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Between colder than usual temps and RAIN I haven't been in the workshop in months (December was a bust with The Kid's visit); stitching little rugs & carpets to keep my mini muse happy.

RAIN here too...thunderstorm currently actually...has halted my exterior and courtyard renovation of the Townhouse. Even with every window open and ceiling fans going in the sunroom the paint and glue fumes are horrendous. This weekend is supposed to be clear so perhaps...

• 1 month later...

When we moved 9 years ago we turned the partly internal garage into a hobby room for me and my husband Chris. Then I had kids and the hobby room became more of a office and storage area for Chris' hobbies and kids toys and access to my bit at the far corner became mostly impossible. Because of small children I couldn't have my building project out elsewhere, so it has been in dry fit in the corner for years now. Finally the children are old enough to leave it in peace, the little boy that I looked after once a week now goes to pre-school, and we've done some rearranging in the sitting room so I have shelf space on which to build. Of course as it was sooooo long ago that I planned and half built the Fairfield, I no longer remember what my plans were! I've cut a hole in the roof to make a entrance to the tower, but can't remember how I was going to connect them... I have upgraded my stairs and built some to the top floor, but no idea if I've changed them from original directions or not! I'm sure they are somewhere, but finding bits like bay window roofs and tower roof might be a challenge - I've got the shingles in the original box, but not the bigger pieces. Hmmm. Anyway, it is going to be a Christmas themed house, so is painted red outside, and I've done most of the decorating inside, just need to do windows and doors, and railings, and glue it all together. As I haven't spent money on minis in years, I'm thinking do I try and find some Houseworks windows and doors and give myself a treat? I'm sure I'd prefer them, but need to ship to the UK. 

Now I'm hoping to be building again, I hope to visit here more often too :) 

So, for those that remember me :wave:, my two girls, Natasha who is 10(!) in two weeks and Allana who is 7.5 today, are my best minis. During our sitting room rearrange I got one of my dollhouses down and they loved playing with it, Natasha in particular. I also have a husband Chris who enjoys Star Wars and paints X-Wing and Armada models to play with, and the whole family likes building with lego. We also have Mia the cat, Rosie the dog (a cavatzu), and Bella and Laura the hamsters. 

• Like 1

Muriel!! {{{HUGGGS}}} Welcome back! Hard to believe Natasha is 10 --- wow! What fun it must be to have the girls interested in minis. I see great times ahead. :) 

Welcome back Muriel!  I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were getting on.  You have been missed around here.  So glad your family is doing well.  :clap::flowers:  

Looking around I saw the pinned 1/24th scale topic and thought I'd have a read....oh, 28 pages, might take me a while!! Still contemplating ready made windows. Waiting on a couple websites to answer my size questions. 

On 3/30/2021 at 4:36 PM, Muriel said:

Waiting on a couple websites to answer my size questions. 

Oh my goodness, come on, I'm impatient, I want answers now, so I can order windows and doors!! 

Need my windows to be able to do my kitchen (trim will get in the way of cabinets, so need to build around them). 

Now that I'm ready to build, I'm ready right now! I'd say I should work on another section, but windows are next along with kitchen. Think I should make a topic to update there. 

But come on, reply!! :D

How well I know that impatience!  I stall out on my building between the weather, trips to the doctor (the joys of being nearly 80!) and family drama.  I had found some sheets of cork scrapbook paper I hoped would be enough to do the downstairs floors except the kitchen) in my Tuscan villa (Lily).  Then this AM on our way to get groceries we stopped in a Good Well on the way and I found an unopened roll of cork for 99 cents. I do love me a happy ending.  Maybe you'll hear back soon, Muriel.

Started working on half scale stair carpet..Once I got the design worked out it was OK but a bit frustrating at first..moving right along , but slowly.I estimate I might just  be finished about  2010 at the rate I am going.....

Missed my Covid shot as I was ill in bed last week , that was frustrating. Funny though I was sick for 3 days and the Chihuahua;s stayed in bed for 3 days too, I think they have somehow tied an invisible life line to me. I have to leave the bathroom door open just a bit or they cry like banshees. I guess I should be grateful they are not Newfies..

Just getting ready to do the grocery lottery which is always good fr a laugh. The subs are sometimes hilarious. Like a 23pound turkey instead of a small chicken.The website is so slow and what comes up is frustrating.Tap in milk and everything that has the slightest connection to milk come up.Still I don't have a choice.

Thankfully online grocery shopping was already fairly normal and developed before last March, and apart from difficulties getting a delivery slot (just need to book it 3 weeks in advance!) it is a very good system here. Most substitutions are ok, and you aren't charged any more if sub costs more than original. 

Allana playing with my dry fit Fairfield. I ordered windows! But with two bank holidays and weekend I have to be patient once again! Didn't quite time this right. :p

IMG_20210402_115813_compress68.jpg

Muriel, she's so grown! compared to your last photos posted; they do grow fast!

Oh, and for all of y'all who are building doll houses for little ones to play with, PLEASE take note of the horse in one of the rooms...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, and for all of y'all who are building doll houses for little ones to play with, PLEASE take note of the horse in one of the rooms...

There was no persuading her that the horse could play outside (I didn't try very hard, once they've made up their minds....).

I have had my grocries delivered for 8 years now, it is just the last year it has gone a bit pear shaped.

Sowing carrotts and transplanting tomatoes today.

My Fairfield that I started and then put aside has caused concerns as I had changed things then forgotten the plan. So..yesterday I bought a new one, when it arrives I can start from scratch and I think I will be fine as I will change as I go,and keep the drawings and notes this time. Then when it is finished I can turn the original into a spooky house or something,,Christmas maybe. I bought the upgraded version the first time so I have all the doors, windows etc, plus better porch railings for 2 floors and I have the siding and lots of trim so it makes sense to begin fresh ratherthan struggle I think. Meanwhile I could start painting the doors and making the curtains in  between stitching the staircarpet which is eye crossing. Usually back to square one is not a good place to be but this feels like a fresh start...good..

• Like 1

Holly, the problem is I need to get glasses, I never have and it is only this last yearor so that I notice the writing on the TV is blurry.I use magifiers when I sew etc but they are cheap and probably not much good.When I am cross stitching on a very small scale I work under a DR's lighted magnifier hwich is great for most things but I still find the cross tiny cross stitch a bit hard. I don;t think it is because I can;t see, I think it is because I am staring at the same spot.

Anyway this has prompted me to realise I need to make an appointment and get the job done.When I get the right eyewear your suggestion may just be the extra thing I need .It get pretty hot with that light just a couple of inches from my face.

Off to find an optician now..

Thank you for your great ideas as usual..

I have to say this.. whenever I talk to you I see the picture on your Avaatar,I can't make up my mind if that is you or one of your dolls. You are always telling ua about your meals so is stands to reason I would picture you in the kitchen with an apron on.

Please forgive me for being cheeky..it comes from love

I don't consider comments like yours cheek, dear heart, but rather the bond we miniaturists form when we get together.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 18 and had to have them to get my first driver's license, so I've been wearing them for nearly 62 years.  The avatar is one of my dolls (Ima Little Stout, since her husband is Porter Stout), but she looks a bit like me.

On 4/2/2021 at 4:21 PM, havanaholly said:

I don't consider comments like yours cheek, dear heart, but rather the bond we miniaturists form when we get together.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 18 and had to have them to get my first driver's license, so I've been wearing them for nearly 62 years.  The avatar is one of my dolls (Ima Little Stout, since her husband is Porter Stout), but she looks a bit like me.

What wonderful names, do they have children called Sweet Stout or maybe a baby called Milk Stout. I shall continue to think of her as you as she looks super kind and nice.

large.Muriel.jpg.0c7b12efc8f192effba7d3c

Happy Easter! We spent the day in the garden with extended family - visitors are allowed in the garden (with restrictions on numbers). Thankfully it was lovely and sunny, not too warm, but doable with a few layers. 

large.2141375330_EasterTable.jpg.3137ce2

Ooh, I might have figured it out @havanaholly (see pm)