What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Last Saturday I attended my first meeting of the Midwest Miniature Guild after joining in August at a miniature show.  I had a wonderful time - everybody was very friendly and seemed to think it was great to have a new member.  There was a display of projects that club members had done, a "free table", a catered lunch, a business meeting, and then what they called a "garage sale."  The garage sale turned out to be a number of tables of dollhouses and miniatures from collections of members who had passed away or members who just had lots of excess miniatures, dolls, fabric, lace, lighting, etc. they wanted to sell,  So, a garage sale that was ALL MINIATURES!!!   Prices were unbelievably low and I got some really cute things.  Spent all the money I had on me and went home happy knowing I had found "my people."  

The meeting was in New Brighton, Minnesota (suburb of St. Paul) and the Midwest Miniature Guild covers Minnesota, Iowa, North and South Dakota.  Highly recommend if you live in those states.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jdodyd said:

Last Saturday I attended my first meeting of the Midwest Miniature Guild after joining in August at a miniature show.  

Oh my goodness, that sounds like a perfect day to me! What fun. Glad you've found them. 

My laptop is home and fixed. I do the happy dance. My oven's baking element has been replaced, but the expert repairman on my range says it's weird that it broke 3 times, shouldn't have happened on a Bertazzoni, and that it could be anything that could have caused it, even my electric company. He remained puzzled. Oh well......... if it breaks again within 90 days they'll replace it. Also tickled to say that the carpenter came yesterday and started on fixing the rotting window frames. On the other hand, he discovered that the siding under the back deck needs to be replaced. Unbenown to us, the inside of the basement wall was all wet back there. He's coming back on Monday. 

I also started building a new room box. Last month I got some 1/4" Baltic birch plywood which turned out to be only 3/16", you'd think 1/16" wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it did to me. Oh well..... panels shifted a bit while gluing, but I figured they might, no matter how carefully I glued them together. It'll all be nice and tight and solid in the end. Also, the next time I build an 18th century fireplace, I'll design it based on the size of my bricks, and not the dimensions I think it should be. 'Nuff said on that for now.

Hey everyone! Finally completed the rug I was working on before the hospital saga. It's that leaping deer one from the 20th century miniature book. I replaced the orange with another shade of brown though. Hope to have a picture up soon. A few nights ago I started another rug, this one a discontinued one from Janet Granger called Hannah, which fits the theme. It's also shades of brown, kind of abstract and geometric to go with the other rugs in the project. At the rate I'm working, I'll finish that one quickly, maybe within two weeks. Tonight's dinner menu includes Italian sausage and spaghetti. Oh how I missed it while I was away! Physical therapy is also going well. And, next week I see a new doctor. I also have some new jewelry supplies to play with. Yes, my pretties, I'm very busy lately!

• Like 1

I went to Paris for another job interview today. Whew, nervous but proud !

Since I was there I passed by Pain d'Epices to pick a few things for my Brimbles ; but how it is that I go in looking for stairs banisters and leave with a mini cat, keys, a dinosaur skull and a beaker ??? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, _Roxy_ said:

...how it is that I go in looking for stairs banisters and leave with a mini cat, keys, a dinosaur skull and a beaker ??? 

Because you're a typical miniaturist and you cannot resist tiny things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _Roxy_ said:

I went to Paris for another job interview today. Whew, nervous but proud !

Since I was there I passed by Pain d'Epices to pick a few things for my Brimbles ; but how it is that I go in looking for stairs banisters and leave with a mini cat, keys, a dinosaur skull and a beaker ??? 

For the same reason I go into Costco for coffee or Target for dishwashing liquid and leave after spending $150 in each for things I didn't know I needed.

Ooo, and Paris, how jealous am I?? Good luck with the job interview!!

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, blueirishmoon said:

A little setback with the pattern. Stitched the wrong color so am unpicking what I did.

Ah, the joys of frogging!  I'm stitching Emily's Kashkuli Gabbeh rug (the square version) using a totally different color palette and I've only had one section I had to frog because I got into a rhythm and went a bit past where the stripes changed direction.

And for those of y'all who don't do needlework, frogging is where you "rippit, rippit, rippit" removing/ stitches.

Hey Roxanne @_Roxy_, any news about your interview? Working near/in the same city as a mini shop could be very fun, as could working in Paris! I used to live in a big village that had a mini shop. We moved away and I was so sad when we visited and it was no longer there. 

20 hours ago, Muriel said:

Hey Roxanne @_Roxy_, any news about your interview?

Thank you for asking !

I've had positive answers from them, but also from another offer, and my heart is leaning more toward that 2nd. This one would be in a tiny tiny town more to the north, but I could still go shopping in Paris itself with maybe an hour of train. I'm used to living in smaller cities, so it would not bother me much !

I should have a definite answer in 1-2 weeks, so I'll see where I goes then ! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, _Roxy_ said:

Thank you for asking !

I've had positive answers from them, but also from another offer, and my heart is leaning more toward that 2nd. This one would be in a tiny tiny town more to the north, but I could still go shopping in Paris itself with maybe an hour of train. I'm used to living in smaller cities, so it would not bother me much !

I should have a definite answer in 1-2 weeks, so I'll see where I goes then ! 

A tiny town with a huge city an hour on the train, sounds perfect! Good luck with your choices :)

I got the job I wanted !!!

I'm very happy, because the salaary is higher than I expected (almost on the same level as the Paris' job) but the living environment will be much better ! And since rent is cheaper in little towns, that means more money for minis, hehe...

Now I only have to find a place, and I can start working immediately there ! Only downside is that there aren't many option in that town... I better hurry up !

• Like 2

Hi everyone!  I can't remember the last time I was on here.  I wish I had new photos of something to share, but I've been buried in RL responsibilities.  

I was trying to make Youtube videos that would show step-by-step methods I use to build houses and repair the still-damaged Sweetwater Branch Inn, but it was impossible to get any quiet time between the kids and my wife's never ending honey do's.  Now I have a 60 mile commute to work every day and there's always some home, so it won't happen anytime soon.