What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm with my sister in Atlanta, playing chauffeur and general dogsbody as she had surgery to fix a ruptured disc in her neck and can't drive, lift anything heavier than 5 pounds or reach above her head for 2 weeks. Our brother came down from Nashville yesterday to spend a few days, so we are having a great good time catching up without the dozens of extraneous relatives that come with other family gatherings. I'm not going to get to Ernie's attic or the other great [name I can't recall] dollhouse shop here, but I don't feel deprived. For some reason, I have no urge to shop for minis at the moment.

• Like 1

I finally managed to get the blade into my new scroll saw. From looking at lots of pictures and a post from Brae from a few weeks ago, I had figured out where things were supposed to go, but every time I tried it, then let go - everything went S-P-R-O-I-N-G !!!!!!

I just tried it out, it ran smoothly, Next I need to take out the coarse toothed blade I used to learn how to use the saw and replace it with the fine one I'd be using most of the time. I did bend the coarse blade, figured I would. I hope the blade change goes well. You have no idea how many times the mechanism went SPROING!

Oh, terrific! I still haven't set up MY new scroll saw, so I have something to look forward to, huh? Not! But, I did buy an extra pack of blades (whew)! Can't wait.

Grazhina, please let me know... did you buy the Dremel scroll saw (as I did)? I saw reviews where, while it was given high ratings, some said that the blade had a tendency to pop out. If you have this model, let me know if you have any problems with it. Thanks!

Learning to change a scrollsaw blade is just one of the reasons I resent girls not being allowed to take shop classes back when I was in school! Unfortunately when I'm cuttting I have to change them fairly often, as the fine-tooth blades have a tendency to snap in two, being so very skinny...

Sandy, I got the Proxxon DS 115/e. I read the blades go in differently from other scroll saws, and people complained the instructions were difficult to understand and it took a while to figure out how the blade went in.

I had a Craftsman scroll saw over 20 years ago. I used it a few times, then the blade snapped and I couldn't get the blade out. DH tried to, and couldn't loosen the screw to get it out either. I can't understand why he brought it with us when we moved to Maine 16 years ago. Yes, it's sitting under a layer of dust and sawdust under the basement workbench. I did try to remove the blade one more time, gave up, put it back, and ordered a new one.

Holly, I took "shop"! I can sew a straighter seam than any guy I know (for whatever that's worth because I HATE to sew!). I also learned how to clean pots and pans. I sure would have liked to take woodworking, as it was known then. I've only recently realized that I LOVE working with wood... and cutting and measuring it, and pasting and joining it, and staining and painting it! Boy, am I in the right place or what?

Grazhina, thanks. We will see what we will see. Maybe I'll be lucky, and have no problems at all. That doesn't sound anything like me, though!

• Like 1

Kat reminded me that I hadn't been posting much in the forum lately. I have been spending more time making than typing. I am working on the furniture and having so much fun with the Shabby Chic. I never did this before so its all different for me. :)

Plus, with the holiday this week and having someone home today also I don't have time to mini or type but that is a good thing. Today it finally got back to "normal" winter temperatures in the high 20's. After 60 its COLD!!! We had some kind of a wind storm last night that I thought would blow the roof right off the house!!!!
We are still here so I guess the roof is strong enough!!

Mike, I can't imagine moving in the weather you have been having on the east coast!!! My sister lives in Massachusetts also and everyday she tells me they are getting snow! Yuck!

I wish I had a saw! I like to make my dollhouse furniture and its pretty tough to do with only an exacto knife and an easy cutter! I manage.

• Like 2

I can't tell you how many hours I've put on my MicroLux table saw from Micro Mark. I use it to make grooves in balsa for hardwood flooring and panelling, cutting stone tile, making new walls, angle cuts, mitering trim, ripping very thin strips of wood, ect...

Holly, I call all the utility knives exactos........its actually what you have.

Aha! This is what I mean by an Exacto knife (or craft knife):

34289.JPG

My issues with mine are that whether it's a saw blade or a knife blade, they always loosen up in the holder and eventually fall out in the middle of a cut.

That picture looks familar, Holly. I got that as a gift after joining NAME. Totally unexpected... one of those things that came in the mail and I had no idea what it was at first, nor who sent it!!! Pretty handy dandy little set!

Of course, I've been using Exacto knives for the past 50 years (or so), working on my drafting table and cutting out blocks of type to lay down, or silhouetting Veloxes for a layout!!! So, yes, indeed, there is a significant difference between Exacto knives and utility knives (aka, box cutters). Exacto knives do not work well on 1/8" plywood. Utility knives are a sight better -- not great, but better. I guess if you really add some elbow grease (which I'm plumb out of lately), it would work better.

I have some of those too Holly! I have the bandaides on my fingers to prove it!!!

I spent all afternoon trying to make a fireplace. I had to use printie bricks and I refurbished a fireplace that I had made a long time ago from a Michaels hutch.

It will work.

I would like a saw I could actually cut out shapes with. I remember my dad use to make all kinds of yard ornaments with a scroll saw. Someday.....

I'm with my sister in Atlanta, playing chauffeur and general dogsbody as she had surgery to fix a ruptured disc in her neck and can't drive, lift anything heavier than 5 pounds or reach above her head for 2 weeks. Our brother came down from Nashville yesterday to spend a few days, so we are having a great good time catching up without the dozens of extraneous relatives that come with other family gatherings. I'm not going to get to Ernie's attic or the other great [name I can't recall] dollhouse shop here, but I don't feel deprived. For some reason, I have no urge to shop for minis at the moment.

Kathie, so glad your sister is doing well. Sorry you won't make it to Ernie's or Miniature Designs, but it's understandable. Maybe next time, and we'll have to plan lunch or something as well. :)

Have a great visit with your brother and sister!

I got all of the basswood cut for the B & B siding for Opal and not surprisingly she has changed her mind again ( and for the last time) I just got done cutting out the foam board for doing a gray brick exterior with green trim, I think it will look better, time will tell, I'm off to carve a lot of bricks. :)

• Like 1

Roxy,I cannot wait to see your Shabby chic Orchid finished! I love the blues you used for the exterior.

Stacey,the grey brick with green trim sounds great!

I finally got a chance to go to Walmart yesterday. I picked up their very last bag of skinny sticks( :glare:),so I can finally try my hand at making the windows I want for my D.C. Ashley. Good news is they had some Apple Barrel craft paints on sale for 50 cents a bottle,so that was fun! :) I also got a 2.5" roll of green burlap weave-like 'ribbon'-may use it as wall treatment or couch pillows in my Christmas gift Orchid kit-it will have masculine decor,so that could work,I think.

I haven't tried my secondhand jigsaw yet-I don't know if I will ever want to actually build anything from scratch,but certainly not ruling out the possibility. I have a wonderful razor saw and several cheapo craft knives(Not like the set pictured.) that have served my purposes so far. But I do think I'd like to have a keyhole saw,as I hope to bash one of my other D.C. Ashley kits to add on a room where the bump-out bay is...

I'm sitting here with electric saw envy. :p

I came over to GL to keep from blowing a gasket with Yahoo. I have over 50 unread emails, but every time I try to open one, all I get is a blank page after the 10 minute wait for it to load. I don't know what those clowns have done this time, but it seems like they're always trying to find new ways to chase off users.

I haven't started back on the Tudor House yet, but I did convince my DW to take a break this weekend. We're driving down to Tampa tomorrow after the kids get out of school. We don't have any concrete plans other than to visit that old race car driving friend of mine. We might take the kids to MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry. They have an IMAX theater that looks like a broken R2-D2 or a giant, metallic blue orange peel on the outside. You can see it on their website: http://www.mosi.org/ We're staying at a hotel near a mall that's so big, when they built it there were jokes about search and rescue teams needed to help find lost shoppers, so we might go there too. As warm as it's been, we might even go over to Clearwater beach. This is one of those "go with the flow" kind of trips, so anything is possible.

Jeremy, if you do get over to Clearwater Beach plan to eat at Frenchy's and at least one of you get their grouper reuben sandwich. Ever since we ate one we've been teaching small fishhouse restaurants how to make them (when they aren't overrun with business). When we took DS#3 (aka The Kid) to visit his grandmother near Ruskin we took him over to St Pete for a day and took him first to the Dali Museum and then to Haslam's Books.

Thanks Kat ! Skinny sticks and and a good deal on paint, sounds like a pretty good trip to Wally World ! That jig saw will come in handy. :)

Those unplanned trips are usually the best ones Jeremy.

The mailman brought me my Gurneys catalog, one from Spring Hill and my Dollhouse Miniatures magazine today, all sorts of eye candy ! I had my bay windows for the display lamp out looking at it today and there is an article about Jim Larson's " Lil-Lytes" - full size lamps with houses as the bases, all sorts of ideas ! And I found a miniature shop about an hour away, road trip coming up !! :) Working away on foam board bricks watching the lightening storm.

Back home again after our vacation at Cuba. Lots of impressions to sort and mull over as it is such a complex country and history involved.

With the six hours time change and in all a 24h journey the body thinks it time to be awake now...

Think I will try and convince it to a few morehours of sleep though...

Hugs and it is great being back home at GL again!!!

Welcome home, Anna. I haven't been on any trips lately other than to the dollhouses and shops on this site. I am, however, in the process of makng some plans for the Spring, and my first planned trip is to my nearest dollhouse shop.

As soon as we have the next pretty day without rain or errands I need to clean and de-mold the camper (we finally got it back from the shop early this month!) as next month we have the sales pitch to sit through at a local RV "resort" we were originally scheduled for in December when The Kid was here. Then we have a couple of camping trips for April. May's trip will be a car trip and June we need to take The Kid with us to a beach state park for a week where we can all vegetate in a nice way.