What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Is anyone else sick of the cold?? I am so sick of it. This Winter reminds me of the winters when I was a kid. Cold, dark, and long. Supposed to warm up to the 40s tomorrow with a bit of a flurry. That is okay.

I've done my best to avoid winter for the past 3 years or so. I just refuse to go outside unless I have somewhere I need or want to go. Since I work out of my home, and the mail man & UPS guy bring me all my miniatures, it works out ok.

Sunny days are great. The dining room table serves as my desk, and since the room has a southern and western exposure, it can get quite nice and warm in there.

I'm looking at a little stuffed toy I asked for for Xmas, It's a goldfinch, and when you squeeze it's tummy it chirps nice and loud. One of the reasons I wanted it was to chirp it at those annoying spam phone calls, but wouldn't you just know it - just as soon as I got my loud happy chirpy little bird, the annoying calls dropped dramatically. I still like to listen to the stuffed bird anyway.

School is cancelled again for tomorrow, but staff will go in at 11am. I have to admit I might be getting a bit of cabin fever, and goodness knows I have stuff to do, so that is okay.

The waterproofing people came today and demolished the bathroom, most of one bedroom, and part of another. Tomorrow will be the jack hammering, another good reason to go to work.

Right now we can walk straight from the bathroom into the garage. We will need to put a new tub on the top of the list of things to get. It is cold enough downstairs already without that!

I'm checking back tomorrow (when the magazines usually arrive) to see if it's in. It's the February issue that has the 2nd article. I can order additional copies from the publisher, but it will cost at least $10 per copy plus shipping from the UK.

Holly, I'm not overly thrilled with the format either. I noticed that there are several 2 page articles throughout each issue, but I didn't notice any in-depth articles that exceed the 2 page limit. I think MC (Miniature Collector) does a far better job of producing comprehensive articles about one or more projects each issue.

Except for some nearly blue fingers, the ride to and from Tampa was very comfortable. I was wearing at least 4 layers and only encountered a few scattered sprinkles. I encountered 3 other riders on I-75, so I'm not the only one willing to ride in this weather. The weather channel site claims it was in the 70's in Tampa, but I was there. I think it barely made it to the mid-40's. The interview went fairly well. They were impressed with my experience, but I don't have insurance defense experience. They think I will probably pick it up quickly if given the chance, but salary was another sticking point. My previous salary is in or exceeds their range. As much as I need a job, I can't justify relocating my family to a city with a higher cost of living, while taking a pay cut at the same time. I did appreciate the attorney's candor during the interview.

While I was in Tampa I met up with an old friend I haven't seen in years. He's an old Outlaw Sprint car driver. A hard as nails outlaw biker too, but he has a soft spot for kids. When I called him up, the first thing he asked about was whether I had brought the kids with me. When I used to be on his pit crew in college, he would turn away sponsorships from alcohol and tobacco companies. Kids looked up to him and the team, and he didn't want to send the kids the wrong message. His newest thing is the paint job on his car. He's working with the "Race Against Autism" organization, so he painted the frame of his car pink and the body panels are pinked lined puzzle pieces on black.

• Like 1

We're having a very mild winter, but we finally get some snow in the mountains. Right now I am sitting at a table at our local mall, trying to sell some purses. Grace Adele RL size, not mini. Those of us with a home business can have a spot every Friday from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. I did this last summer and did a lot ?of business, but now no one seems to be shopping. I didn't bring my computer so on my cell phone I'm reading thru the GL forum, and Facebook, and the news. Bored out of my gourd and thinking how many minis I could have bought with my table fee! :( Thanks for keeping me awake !!

• Like 1

I know the legal profession has recovered well from the recession. It's just that firms have different budgets and ideas on what a paralegal should make. Some firms start at $55,000 to $75,000 a year, others think they can find an experienced paralegal willing to work for a measly $10 an hour.

We made it to the medieval fair today. The kids didn't like the king for some reason, but were amused by the jesters and clowns. As usual, the Weather Channel was completely wrong about the forecast. They posted a high in the low 40's, so I didn't wear my period garb. Of course after we had been there about an hour the weather improved and warmed up to 60. It was also fun to see almost everyone again. Until a few years ago, I had been part of the fair since 1993. There are many vendors who return every year, but just like mini shows, failing health has caused some to retire. Every year I have a list of things I would like to buy, and just like every year, circumstances don't allow it. I was able to get the kids a few souvenirs. The SCA had their period Scottish hunting lodge Tudor dollhouse on display. The original owner / builder passed away a few years ago, but willed it to another member of the local SCA, so they keep it taken care of. You can see it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71327315@N05/6824801021/in/photolist-bp5Tz8-7T4mck-bqia5i-8hx1fw-bp533p-bp5tbB-bp5NfR-bp5oRk-bqikeB-bqixX8-bqixTc-bqiyfn-bqiyjx-bqixV4-bqixZD-bqv9pK-bqik9e-bqv9ip-bqikiR-bqiyqe-bqiy8H-bqik5z-bqv9ki-bqv9ne-bqv9ft-8isQFE-8ipExe-a1D7wq-8zVTD8-8isUPu-bqik2M-bqv9dD-a1Anei-bqia5T-e3HFnW-8hx1mY-8hwZJw-8htKir-bqia5P-bqia5z-bp5M1n-bp5HC4-bp5rFg-bp5kmk-bp5Hbr-bp5DhZ-bp5L4H-bp5mFk-bp5sup-bp5GpP-bp5qWr

Your friend sounds like a cool guy Jeremy.

I have a lot of experience working with kids with ASD. One time, several years ago, I was working with an ASD child, doing Picture Exchange Communication. We had worked our way up from edible (aka primary) reinforcers to secondary (aka toys).

One day, he looked at me. Yes, looked at me...and said Car.

His mom and I burst into tears. First word in 3 yrs. And yes, he got the car.

• Like 4

I spent this weekend punching out all the doors and windows for the Gloucester, and then glueing them back in place! A chore, because there are 2 layers of the front door, but it needed to be done because I'm not using any of the boring windows or doors that come with the kit. Next, I need to add 1.5 inches to the bottom of the four walls, and another 2 inches at the top! I really wanted to use curved staircases, but finally realized that, since I plan to make little courtyards in front, those staircases would block the view -- of the courtyard on either side and the windows that will eventually be at the "basement" level. But, lest that become too easy (and I get too lazy), I found some gorgeous trim at Heritage Laserworks ( http://heritagelaserworks.com/ ) and will build my staircase with some of these, using bare bones (stringers, risers, treads & hand rails) for the main parts. This planning stage is really so much fun (to me, anyway). The fact that I can now foresee and solve problems (hopefully at least most of them) before they become significant is the fun part, as is what I consider the equivalent of doing a jigsaw puzzle where the only picture is in your head!

Oh, I also saved images of the windows and doors that I plan to use, brought them into Photoshop and silhouetted them so that the backgrounds were gone, and then I resized them so that they were the actual size. I printed them, cut them out, and laid them out on the front panel so that I could see how everything would fit. That's how I knew that I wasn't gonna use any of the pre-cut spaces, and also that I needed to add extra height to the structure.

I think that the most important part of what I'm doing now is realizing that I can still think! There were, and still are, times when I fear that the lack of oxygen getting into my brain might cause, well, you know what. And that's a very scary thought! Glad to know that I'm not there -- yet!

Well, I am coming out of the basement today and going to work on the dining room. Lol. Every room in the house needs straightened up since I've been in the basement decluttering, and organizing. I have several boxes to drop off at the thrift store. I really need to get the mansion to a new home.

We are supposed to get another snow storm tuesday night. So I'm preparing for that today...

Kellee

I filed my income tax return today. I would be celebrating the amount we're getting back, but unless my employment situation changes soon, it will be a survival fund.

This morning after dropping off DS#1 at Pre-K, I took DS#2 to the library to check out a few movies. Among them were Back to the Future and the original Muppet Movie. I remember watching that one at the Murray State University student theatre when I was 4 years-old. Of course my kids love it.

While I was waiting to check out, I ran into a friend I haven't seen in years. She used to be an ICU nurse at one of the medical centers I worked at in the late 90's. Before that I knew her because her son used to hang out (and get high) with my younger brother. Twice my brother had to resuscitate him when they were teenagers. He stopped breathing after sniffing paint fumes. My brother was sniffing too the first time, but was clear headed enough to save his friend. It was the wake up call my brother needed to quit doing such dangerous things. Unfortunately, it was barely a week before his buddy nearly died a 2nd time. It took the loss of a friend in an alcohol related traffic accident to make that kid look at his life. Luckily the Navy straightened him out. He's now happily married with 3 kids and working at the same medical center his mother and I worked at.

The rest of the day was spent job hunting online.

• Like 1

Indeed, you have every reason to be proud! Nice to know that all the hard work put in (by you!) paid off, huh? Doesn't always happen that way, but when it does, what a nice feeling! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Finally got the house back to normal after the Super Bowl party we had on Sunday. Cooking for two days was totally worth it; a good time was had by all even if the game itself was kind of rotten. Kids were out of school yesterday, 2 hour delay this morning and more snow coming tonight into tomorrow. I'm in MAJOR mini withdrawal so keep the reports and pics coming :thumb:

Congratulations to your Son Grazhina!!!

Still pulling for you Jeremy!!! I hope you find something soon!

It snowed a little last night and the wind is blowing cold....I am going to spend most of the day doing chores and working on my Orchid. Its almost done!

• Like 1

Well, I checked the Obits in the newspaper this morning just to be sure I wasn't listed there. :rip:

I've got this cough baloney - yet again - barely finished the last round.

Oh thanks my dear kiddos - they are such good sharers.

Two of them have it right now but they don't seem to get the total exhaustion that comes with mine. :insane:

Ya think it might be my age .... hm-m-m-m??

I sat up most of the night because I couldn't lay down without hacking up both lungs. Argh-gh-gh!

Today is my birthday, and since I live in NJ, I really don't plan much because of the weather. It is usually really cold or there is a good chance of snow, and I grew up having my birthday off from school several times when it was declared a snow day. That is nice when you are a kid, but not quite as exciting when you are an adult.

This week the weather reports were terrible, with the exception of a 50 degree Super Bowl. So I am really happy to see the sun shining today. Part of me would like to run up to my nearest dollhouse shop, which is 18 miles away, and maybe go shopping later at Barnes & Noble; but I hadn't planned on doing that, so I may just go to Michaels and buy a glue-gun. Then I can glue my battery-operated lights to my ceilings and light up my miniature home like a birthday cake. - I think it is going to be a good day.

• Like 1

Happy birthday, Maureen!

Make sure you can still take those lights down when you need to change the battery! Remember how unforgiving hot glue is!

I bought tiny magnets (I think at Michaels), and glued one to the light and one to the ceiling in front of the shop door in my SF build, and that allows me to take the whole thing down -- much easier to turn it on that way, too!

I sure do feel for you, Selkie. I know all too well what you're going through. If I get sick, it always winds up in my chest, 'cause that's my weak spot. It can take months (or certainly feel like it) to go away for good. What a nasty feeling! Did you ever try that lapsang souchong tea? If you PM your address to me, I'll send you a few bags to try. Can't hurt, and I think it will help.

Thanks Mandy. Our local health food store carries it but not the regular grocery store.

I can honestly say, I have not acquired a taste for it yet. They tell me it takes time to develop a tolerance for it.

I'm not a tea drinker in the first place of any variety so this is a challenge but I'm trying.

This is very strong and campfire-ish in it's presentation. Not an altogether pleasant aroma for me.

It reminds me too much of the smell of meat cooking in the woods and I'm a vegetarian so it's playing with my mind too.

I'll try some more since it's supposed to be good for you.