What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Whoa,what a fun haul,Stacey! I went to lunch at Cracker Barrel with my mother yesterday and I got a little green owl salt shaker and several pairs of earrings on clearance for $2 each in the gift shop(Some will be used for minis!) and we went to a thrift store and then a yard sale as well,where I got a couple of pairs of hand made earrings at $5 a pair-so lovely and well made for the price,and she had so many beautiful choices! This was all birthday money I was spending,so it was super fun! After spending time with Mom at my brother's where she is living temporarily,and walking her dogs all over the place-I was beat last night. But,Girl,you put me to pure shame with all you did!!Good for you,my friend,and I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

I was determined, lol, usually John takes me on the city trips, and then I'm rushed and I hate that! I just said I was running down the street, he was kind of miffed when he called me and found out, the last couple of stores took a real effort, but I did it! :D

We're sitting here watching the pre Oscar show and John looks over and asks " who are you wearing?" And I answered Dollar General and the second hand store,lol.

• Like 1

We're sitting here watching the pre Oscar show and John looks over and asks " who are you wearing?" And I answered Dollar General and the second hand store,lol.

Hahaha that's a good one. I usually have hand-me-downs, Sally Ann's or Walmart.

We have exquisite designers, don't we?

• Like 1

Oh you did such a great job on that cake!! So cute Tracy!!

I spent Friday at H&R Block- nope, it wasn't too painful- then Saturday I finished up the San Fran. This morning in church we were the "Greeters" (hand out bulletins and greet everyone as they come in the door), then spent most of the afternoon on the couch. Overdid it on the knees and back.

Just a little mixed precip at this point, so we'll see what tomorrow's weather brings....if it turns out to be another "snow day" for me, I'll go down to the workroom and start on my next project! :)

Thanks, Deb - it's lovely over here behind your Beacon Hill :) Yes, Holly, things have been a bit rough lately - minis are the safety net, as it is for most of us. I was feeling pressured to move to please other people, not because I wanted to go. I love my home, my roots are here (my grandparents came to this area almost 100 years ago!), a huge family is here, and many friends. The move was only an obligation - and the counselor helped put it all in focus for me - it's not an obligation that I owe. I've felt nothing but peace and joy since then.

On a happier note -- I just replaced a bedroom door! Not a miniature one! I'm learning to be quite independent!! My DIL painted a beautiful mural on a door at the end of our hallway, about 14 years ago, and I just love it. DH took the door off and replaced it with a plain one that would stay with this house when it sold. Tonight - ALL BY MYSELF - I removed the plain one and reinstalled the mural-door. Woo-hoo! I've got all but two boxes out of the spare bedroom, and divided onto two tables. One stack goes to the attic, and the other stack I will unpack. Guess I should head for bed; the silly clock thinks it's after midnight. But first I'll empty the last two boxes in the spare room, stuff that goes back into the filing cabinet in the room - then I'll go to bed.

Good night all - and thanks.

Use the plain door for a work surface--

You can do anything! I'm glad you are making decisions for you. Go, girl!

• Like 1

Tracy, the cake is adorable! I'd like a slice of one of those cute little paws please.

Big day for me today. I'm getting my hair cut. Yay! The reason it's a big thing is because it's been over a year since I was able to sit in a chair long enough to have it done so there's a mop on my head where my hair used to be. I'm as excited about taking a step back to normal life as well as getting it out of my face. :insane: I'm not going to try to get it colored today but maybe later this summer I'll be able to get my green and purple streaks back. <grabbing my purse and cane> I'm off!

Deb

• Like 2

I still can't "quote" or "cut/paste" on this forum, ever since the last upgrade! Very irritating at times!

Holly - post #8812 - Loved your "LOL" but I thought it was Lazy Old Lady! :) I think you and I are about the same age, Holly, and I too am keeping physically active, primarily with my job. I think age is only a state of mind. Sometimes I look at the news reports of an "elderly" person and they show the picture. I just gasp, because most of the time the "elderly" are younger than I am and they look 15 years older! I think there's a lot of truth to Use it or Lose it. I have a friend with a very debilitating disease, can never remember the name of it, but her bones are disintegrating. She uses a walker (the simple kind with only 2 wheels in front, no seat) because she can't stand up and just goes everywhere. She says if she doesn't keep pushing, she'll lose what little mobility she has. Most people in her condition would be in a motorized wheelchair. She gets onto the ACCESS bus and goes to the hospital 2 days a week to minister to the sick! She takes 2 busses to get to our house and visit with my mother, and won't let me drive her home. Her DH left her years ago when her illness started to manifest itself. It's a hereditary condition and her son has it also, as did one of her parents. So she's been on her own for a long time and is one tough little lady!

I wonder how much our miniature hobby is helping us all cope with life and to resist giving up? Let's see now, where do we apply for a federal grant, maybe about five million dollars, to study the effects of the hobby? Hmmm, we should start a petition. Of course we already know the outcome of the study, but we could use the $$ effectively to buy dollhouses for all the participants. Result #1 - it has been discovered that those with only one room box were prone to illness and depression. Result #2 - those with 3 dollhouses or more were able to cope with life's difficulties quite well. :deal:

• Like 2

Kat, who is this supposed to count with? You, and what you think is important is what counts! Nothing and no one else!

I, too, have been called the grand "starter" and "un-finisher"! (No, Selkie, you're not alone here!) Given the prognosis that I recently received, however, I've decided that I just don't care! I'm gonna do what I want to do, when I want to do it! If it's still undone when I'm gone, whoever it seems to matter to can finish all the little bits and pieces left hanging!!! I'm gonna have fun and quite frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!

• Like 2

I think it's the process that is the therapy - not necessarily the finishing. :)

That's very true. I go thru the dh version of postpartum blues every time I finish a house.

Deb

• Like 2

Oh,I feel better now! And considering I just today received Jeffrey's Orchid rehab,I really needed to know I'm not alone-I knew it,but it just makes me mad that I never get anything done. This one at least is a real structure,all glued together-something I haven't yet accomplished with the kits I've started this last year. But,I am so excited to make this one 'mine'! :)

Oh,now this is too much like Christmas morning today-My son surprised me with a late birthday present,another book: Angie Scarr's Miniature Food Masterclass! He had no idea I have always wanted something from her-he doesn't know who she is but just thought I'd like the book! Woo-Hoo! :)

• Like 1

Today I found out my sister-in-law is back in the hospital, as the pain medication they gave her after her surgery wasn't agreeing with her. Then I learned a friend of mine is a patient at the same hospital, as he wasn't taking his medication and became very depressed. My insurance card was late coming in the mail, and I was on the phone the better part of the day straightening out ongoing administrative problems that I need to be on top of every single minute, otherwise something else will go wrong.

On the bright side, however, both my sister-in-law and friend are going to be fine; plus my aunt who is also in the hospital is doing much better. My insurance nightmare will soon be over, and in my part of central NJ we didn't get the snow that was in the forecast. So, brighter days are ahead.

• Like 1

I have been trying to decide which 20th class reunion to attend this year. I attended high school in Huntsville, Alabama for the first 3 years, then fought through the final year down here in Florida. The problem is, both schools are having their reunions on the same day. I attended the 10 year reunion here, but only 30 of the nearly 400 graduates showed up, and I only knew a few from my days in the band. On the other hand, I spent most of my HS years in AL, and yesterday I confirmed some tragic news- they're going to demolish my old high school and build a new one a few miles away. This will be my last chance to see the old campus. There will most likely be a party the evening before here in town, but it's a 10 hour drive north, so it would be an all-night run to attend the other on Saturday morning.

Today is Mardi Gras! Even if you're not in New Orleans, take a few minutes to be extra silly today and share the spirit with us! :pepper::banana::note1: :trumpet: :note1: :jester: :violin: :note1::pepper:

Well, here in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania it's Fasnacht Day : the PA Dutch tradition of using up all the lard in the house before Lent by making donuts (without the hole -think cream filled donut sans cream). mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Anywho- after I finish eating my breakfast of Fasnachts, I plan on working on a display box project! I am kinda between dollhouse rehab projects, so I thought I'd do a little project just for ME! I plan to feature one of my favorite pieces: a PA Dutch style dough board hutch. I've got a little spot for it on a wall in my kitchen. :) I'll post some pics soon.