What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thank you all for the kind words and condolences. They are much appreciated.

On Sunday I will be taking the train to Atlanta to spend a couple of weeks with my sister, who will be recovering from surgery to repair a herniated disc in her neck. Lloyd will be driving to Houston that day to spend some time helping his sister, who is recovering from a partial hip replacement. It appears that we have now entered the age when nearly every conversation eventually becomes an organ recital.

Kathie, we should be all thawed out by the time you arrive...

Hope everything goes well with the recovery for both.

Ernie's Attic will be open next week, Thursday and Friday, so maybe you will be able to visit this time. :)

Y'all both be safe and have good trips.

..well, we're movin' again - this is a good thing tho!

The closing is Valentine's Day eve. Our new home is a ranch style.

We should be all moved in that weekend.

Can't wait to unpack all my tools & supplies & set up shop in the basement - lots & lots of space!

We're :banana:so :pepper:excited!!

Where are you moving to? Still in Cape Cod? - Wherever your new home is, I hope you have a nice moving experience.

Well, for tomorrow I plan on cranking up the space heater in my work room and spending the day finishing up my tower roof on the San Fran rehab.....since I will be "snowed in". :/ Weather man says to expect at least 12"!! Oui vey.....

Where are you moving to? Still in Cape Cod? - Wherever your new home is, I hope you have a nice moving experience.

Thanks all!

Thanks Maureen.

We're moving from our rental in Dennis Port to our new home in S. Yarmouth - about 5 mins. away :)

Previous moves:

Mattapoisett, MA

Wilmington, NC

Burgaw, NC

Pawcatuck, CT

" "

Westerly, RI

S Kingstown, RI

Westerly, RI

Dennis Port. MA (2013)

Avg: 1 move per yr!! :tired:

I'm not movin' again... :nonono:

• Like 1

I hope you're right, Mike. I've learned not to make such definitive pronouncements. As soon as I do, life makes changes I hadn't anticipated.

• Like 1

You got me thinking, Sandy. From my earliest memory of around 3 years old, I have moved 24 times and I'm about to do it again in a few months.

In other news, I got a call earlier this week from my former boss. He told me I was going to get a call from one of the other local firms the company works with and he clerked at after law school. They called within an hour. The interview was this evening with the three partners in the firm. They said they were very impressed with my work history and the time I worked with them, but didn't offer a position outright yet. I suspect the salary I'm asking is outside of their range. The fact that the firm is so small and offers no benefits is a concern, but they also know how good I am. I've been working with their firm for almost 5 years. I'm not holding out too much hope, but it was a good interview and I need the practice.

• Like 2

Well, today was a mini day since I was home from work due to MORE SNOW!! :/

Anywho - at least I got the San Fran tower roof shingles repaired! I finally found the finial, so now to paint that and put the final row of shingles in place....and then I can glue this puppy onto the house permanently!

You're the first one I've met in my 72 years, who has moved more times than I have! I assume that you're not near my age, so just think... what you have to look forward to (moving, that is)!

No such thing as too many interviews, Jeremy! If these people were impressed with you and your qualifications, who knows? They may speak to a friend or associate tomorrow, one with deeper pockets, who may be looking for someone with exactly what you have to offer. This is a typical "old boys' network," as I'm sure you know, and they'd just as soon hire someone who has been referred to them this way than going throught the whole advertising and interviewing process (the latter of which, I'm sure they'll still need, but at that point, unless you do something drastically foolish, you're a shoo-in!

• Like 1

Sandy, You're right on all accounts. I'm 38. The first move that I remember was right after my dad left the army in 1978. The longest I have ever stayed at one address is 8 years, from 2000 to 2008. The upside is I'm flexible and used to a change of scenery, but I sure wish I could have experienced growing up with the same friends from my early childhood. I was hoping to spare my children from the same fate, but the town I live in now is just too small for my kind of work. The disease of "the business across the street can pay college kids less, so why can't we?" has spread to businesses that it shouldn't apply to, so wages in this town are unsustainable. Hopefully if I find work in Tampa or Houston, I'll be able to reach the almost unattainable dream of homeownership and finally set down some roots.

Definitely right about interviews! This is the first time I have worked for the same company for almost 8 years, so I'm a little out of practice. I might have retired from there if things hadn't turned out the way they did. Before that I worked for companies that paid low wages and didn't appreciate their employees or had frequent lay-offs, so I was interviewing at regular intervals and became comfortable doing it. That is the biggest hurdle. What so many job seekers don't realize is that most employers will only interview 6 or fewer people, sometimes out of thousands of applicants, so if they called you in, you're already qualified, now you just need to see if you're a "good fit". If you know this, and didn't pad your resume, then there really isn't any reason to be nervous. I do have several other attorneys I have had interaction with, getting the word out to firms that I'm good at what I do and am looking for work, but I'm not getting any calls from those sources yet.

I totally get this! By the time I was 15, I had moved 9 times (only the base brats had moved more then I had). From 1988 to 1994, I moved at least ONCE every year, the record was 6 moves in one year. After 1994, I moved again in 1999. I may have another move this year, as I am going after another position (if I don't get it, no biggie, I like my current job),
We will see what we will see.

DH took me shopping and out to lunch for Valentine's Day, and we went to Michael's. No minis, not even hutches, but they have vastly improved the variety and quality of the craft supplies. I got a ccard of Industrial Chic embellishments I can use for nonworking light fixtures in dhs and some eagle woodsies for architectural embellishments (thanks, Deb!); and for the Mardi Gras edition of the Jazz Gumbo we'll be attending Monday PM I got a dozen strands of beads and a new umbrella to parade with! We also hit Tuesday Morning and then went to Wintzell's for lunch and topped it off by sharing a slice of Reese's peanut butter cup pie (OMG Yum!).

I drove. And drove. and drove. Had to do a couple of swallow studies in a community about 45 min west, back for an outpt, then off to a transitional meeting in a community 60 minutes north, then back for another swallow study, left my minion to hold the fort and see inpts......

I got Opal out and started to work on her again and glued together a couple more pieces of furniture. And I got my chocolate heart cakes done and frosted and tried a new recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls, they look really good ! They'll make a good midnight snack. :-)

• Like 1

If the weather's not horrible we're going to the Equestrian Center after breakfast to watch dog agility trials. That's another piece of lagniappe we acquired moving over near Pensacola. In any event I have to go to the grocery store (usually a hoot because of the people watching) and DH wants to hit the auto supply store to find replacement hydraulic lifts for the PT's back hatch.

Moving day! The closing went smoothly Thursday & we moved a few things in.

Movers will be here at 9:00 - hey where are they??

Now I'm shutting down.

Verizon said everything was set - well its not...So - don't know when I'll be back on again...later!

:bear:

I'm packing and getting ready to take the train to Atlanta tomorrow. My sis's operation went well. She'll be home today. I'll be her go-fer and chauffeur for the next couple of weeks. Don't know how often I'll get to the forum but will be thinking of all of you.

I'm heading to Molly Cromwell's Orlando show in a couple of hours. I don't really have a budget to shop for anything, but I might pick something up. I'm mostly going to meet up with all the miniaturists I have gotten to know over the past few years. That and it's a good excuse to put a few miles on my motorcycle. :p

I got a call yesterday from one of the partners at the firm I interviewed for on Thursday. He said they were "working on some things" over this weekend but will call me early next week with a decision. I think they might be deciding whether I'm worth the salary I'm asking and figuring out how to adjust their budget to make it happen. At the very least it's a chance to build on the skills I haven't developed while working in a corporate legal department. I can always look for a better paying job in a larger city next year.

• Like 3

Jeremy, last year was my first visit to the Orlando show, actually it was my first show since I had just started building dollhouses. I recently made the connection that it was your lovely stick and brick home that I saw at last year's show. You took the time to show me all the exquisite details of your house and told me the story of the unfortunate accident with two of your past houses. You allowed me to take pictures of your house which I still marvel at. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry I missed you at this years show since I could only attend today's portion. I wish you much success because you are obviously a dedicated person and very talented. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this firm offers you what you are looking for so you can display again next year.

• Like 2

Thanks Sable! Actually, that Tudor house was one of the two that were damaged in the accident. Fortunately, it was mostly just wood framing at the time, so although the damage looked bad, the repairs were minor.

You must have caught me during one of the brief periods when the dogs in the venue weren't inducing near incapacitating allergy attacks. Most of the time I could hardly see or breath between the watery eyes and chain sneezing. I had a minor attack on Saturday, but it was enough to question whether I will ever be a vendor at that show again.

Well - we're still moving due to the weather & well, old age.
Yesterday I waited for the Verizon guy to connect our phone & internet - from 8am to 7pm - I waited & waited - I called them - they said someone is coming don't worry - 8pm they said they would have to reschedule - yeah thanks!
Just got back online! Yikes! I'm in mini withdrawal!!

No workshop yet...but soon...I hope... :)

• Like 1