What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I was having so much fun with the quilt shop that I declared it a yoyo night. Lloyd opened a couple cans and we enjoyed some very nice Progresso clam chowder. I'm so proud of that boy! :p (And getting ready to go back downstairs in a few minutes to photograph the day's progress.)

I still knit socks with the yarn held in my right hand and on 5" long double points. I have resisted learning to make them with all those weird combos of circulars. I tried learning to knit with the yarn in my left hand, but my brain didn't like it. I couldn't get the tension right.

I overdid things at work the past couple of days and my back was really hurting today...and in new places. i called out sick for tomorrow. It has been a weird day all the way around. I was supposed to get paid today but due to a payroll problem (the bank didn't get the employee payroll information...human error? computer error?) employees didn't get their direct deposit. Hopefully it will be in my account tomorrow morning or there are going to be some ugly words sent to the Payroll dept. It was an inconvenience that i'm unhappy with. i also twisted my ankle after i got home. so, i spent the afternoon napping and giving my back and ankle a break. tomorrow will be a better day.

That's the only way I can knit! I taught myself how to crochet in college, from a book, and everyone says I do it backwards. That's ok, I just flip the doily over and it looks ok-lol! But I have done bedspreads, tablecloths, and many many doilies and afghans backwards, not to mention sweaters. so i guess backwards works!

I crochet backwards from other people, and I nearly hurt myself laughing when I found out my way of knitting is called "Continental!. We always blamed it on my grandfather insisting I use my right hand to write & use scissors and all those other neat things when I was a very, very little girl, so that when I started school I'd be a "good girl" and be right-handed. Until arthritis set in I knitted knit rows with my right hand and purled the purl rows with my left! (self-taught knitter here); now the only time I knit lately it's as likely to be 1:12 as not.

DH is still watching the Rose Bowl; Alabama is eating the Texas Longhorns alive, so I'm in here.

Today is errand day. It is snowing right now so I do not know how much I will actually get done. I will wait for it to stop. I dont want to drive on the hill. The hill bothers me but I drive down it but this year with it being so cold..it is always slippery, even with a dusting.

Today working then after work I will take the dogs out for walk if I can stand it brrrrrrrrr

Then to Zumba workout class and then home...I am off tomorrow and I have some swaps to work

on so I am in hopes I can get them done with weekend since I am off so I will not have them to worry about..

I am thinking that the new years resolution to clean my building out might have to wait until we get warmer weather lol

Tomorrow is take care of dogs and work out get weighed and go home and hopefully either get some good mini'ing or take a nap and then mini...

With all the snow we are pretty much stuck in the house. Been working on the tapestry top for the last pillow in the set of four (RL) and will try some miniing of some larger pieces but not too sure I will be able to manage just yet. Later today will be taking our boxer girl out for her first long delayed tng session at Petsmart. Be interesting to see how she does.

The iso FF's bedroom doors are hung and I'm hoping tomorrow to start some assembling. I have to make a new doorway trim for the larger arched door; because of the staircase there is only trim for one side of the divider wall; but since I'm doing an open stair pointing the other way I need to make another trim.

The nice appliance repairman had a cancellation and came out this AM. We had replaced the oven igniter six years ago, when the stove was six years old, and we thought the problem this time was either a valve or the thermostat; no, it turned out to be the igniter and it was SO nice to have a HOT stove to slave over for supper tonight!

What did you make with your hot stove Holly?

We're having Christmas Dinner today! Just waiting for Chris to tidy the kitchen so I can start cooking (Well he's had two days off during which he was supposed to do dishes, hang up a single load of laundry, and tidy his paperwork in the sitting room from when he started marking on wednesday! He did neither and I refuse to tidy up after him :p )

Roast gammon instead of turkey, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, beans, parsnips, yorkshire puddings, stuffing, and pigs in blankets (sausages covered in bacon). Smoked salmon mousse for starter with some salad (he'll have a pack of hoola hoops, his traditional christmas dinner starter) and vienetta ice cream for dessert. We'll be stuffed! :o

Muriel, I baked shrimps with hoppin' john (in our case, black-eyed peas with tomatoes & jalapeno peppers, but no rice). This morning I made biscuits for breakfast.

As Churchill used to say, the Americans and the English are two people separated by a common language. Is gammon the same as ham?

Yeah, basically! I think some people call it gammon before it is cooked and ham after it is cooked, and also I think there's theoretically a difference in how they are cured maybe? But generally it is the same piece of pig :o I just call it whatever it says on the packet!

Dinner is at 6:30 GMT! If you make it, you can have some :p

I was wondering that too. Muriel, it sure sounds lovely! Hula hoops and viennetta...those are blasts from my past! Now I'm hungry and only have oatmeal cooking this morning. Holly, those shrimp and hoppin' John sound grand!

Heading out into the miserable cold. Is it warm anywhere? Our thermometer still says 24 degrees. Oldest son called from work at the Garden Center and begged I swing by with the scarf and hat he forgot this morning. I'm going to take the camera along and see what camellias might be blooming. I need some inspirational photos to use for the drawings. Grocery store will be next. I'm thinking seared strip steaks in mushroom wine reduction sauce and twice baked potatoes tonight. Oldest son does wonderful steaks! Youngest son wants to make a layer cake with many layers by a recipe we found recently. I won't deny him this pleasure. Santa brought Kellan a new cake pan for Christmas. Christopher got a new heavy duty nonstick sear pan. We are very grateful to Santa....

Mini club meeting tomorrow afternoon. Only mini I've worked on this week is the tiny french knotted rug.

I have sliced pork loins out trying to thaw (HAH!) on the counter for tonight and I'm thinking soup and cornmeal wafles for lunch. I have a head of cabbage and I'm thinking of having some of that with carrots & caramelized onion and red-skinned potatoes with the loin slices. I haven't been able to think of anything but comfort food for a week! Next weekend we're supposed to be on a road trip to paddle with the Georgia paddlers over near Eglin AFB & the Blackwater River State Forest; it better be a whole lot warmer than this! We've already used up one tank of propane keeping the travel trailer above freezing!

Muriel, you're right to start training him now. My DH had never picked up after himself in his life, when I married him. He kept his clothes in a highboy and never shut the drawers until one day, he pulled open one too many drawers and it fell forward on him-that broke him of that habit!

i also refused to pick his dirty clothes up off the floor, and didn't wash anything that wasn't in the hamper. When he ran out of underwear, he got the idea. Start now letting him know you're not his mama, you're his partner. it will sure make life easier!

The kids are gone, so I'm going to get dressed and go to HL after some modeling wood for some ideas I have for a new lv floor in the painted lady.

The Xmas tree is finally down. The ornaments and lower half of the tree have been packed up in the attic. The top half of the tree is in a duvet on the living room floor. I'm pooped from fighting the tree to get it down and bagged.

I've never been able to get the whole tree in the bag that it came in, besides, I could never get it back upstairs that way anyway. This year my son toted it.

How often have you done a house cleaning and thrown away something you haven't used in years only to find yourself needing it a few months layer? I wish I hadn't thrown out the extra old sheets. I was going to wrap the rest of the tree in one. I'd kept those sheets for maybe 7-8 years, hadn't needed to use them, so I finally tossed them in an attic clean up. The only thing I have big enough for the tree is a duvet. I'm tired of trying to get that tree into two jumbo trash bags.

I'm sure now, that though I haven't used that duvet in 12 years, I'm going to find myself in a desperate need of a duvet some time this year.

Now....where's the duct tape?

BF and I are hosting a family luncheon -- my parents, sister and her friends, niece and nephew, and my aunt and her new husband. Spent the last two weeks scrubbing the apt from the top-down, and been staggering what to cook/prep for the event. Made arroz caldo (it's a Filipino version of a savory chicken and rice stew), lasagna, caramel flan, and a fruit-flan cake. BF picked up some rotisserie chicken for my niece and nephew, bread, and some veggies to go with his father's famous sesame seed salad dressing.

All was going according to plan until an hour ago -- my sister called saying she can't make it (she went to happy hour last night and woke up with the world's biggest hangover). So she and her friends are out. Now my aunt called saying she and her husband can't make it either. So far, only my parents and the rugrats are coming -- so now we have food geared for 11 people to be consumed by 6.

BF's checking with our neighbor Mike upstairs if he'd like to come take leftovers (he lives by himself and due to long work hours, rarely cooks. He jokes he's living off whatever I cook and what the BF drops off). Hoping heMike's open to having lots of lasagna! :p BF says the arroz caldo has to stay with us since he loves eating it during a cold day.

Daphne, how's about the recipe for the arroz caldo?

I added a half can of cream-style corn to the cornmeal batter and the waffles were wonderful! I made six and put some back to have with other meals.

Do you use a waffle maker to make the cornmeal waffles Holly?

Our dinner was fabulous! and plenty of leftovers too for "Boxing day" (normally the day after christmas, the 26th). Mummy gave me a ring in the afternoon and said she was driving down the motorway and it started snowing a bit. So if it got worse could she come bunk with us on the way back. I said yeah, and if you can make it for 6:30 whether it is worse or not we've got lovely dinner to share. So that was really great that she could stop too and share it.