What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Having another couple over for dinner so made the homemade lasagne is ready to pop in the oven, a salad and garlic bread and they are bringing the wine. House is all clean so we are ready to have some fun.

Daphne, how's about the recipe for the arroz caldo?

I added a half can of cream-style corn to the cornmeal batter and the waffles were wonderful! I made six and put some back to have with other meals.

Sure thing -- if you want the recipe, I'll send it via PM. It does make a huge batch though -- the pot I have is probably going to take BF and I a week to finish.

Luncheon with family ended -- it was fun. But still have alot of leftovers. :giggle: Great for me, since that means no cooking save hitting the microwave buttons!

Mailman came by with packages of stuff I ordered from Dejoux Miniatures and Manor House minis. Chatted with him a bit and he asked if next time he can come see the dollhouses I have -- he said his niece has a dollhouse and he's completely fascinated by it. I took his word and invited him to see the houses -- and surprised him with a tupperware of food. Hope he managed to have time to eat them -- his eyes were as big as saucers.

Sure thing -- if you want the recipe, I'll send it via PM. It does make a huge batch though -- the pot I have is probably going to take BF and I a week to finish.

OOohhh ... please post it here. Some others of us are drooling, too. :giggle:

Muriel, I have the old fashioned kind of waffle iron that sits on a stove burner (but with nonstick grids); when it stops steaming on the first side it's time to turn it over and when it finishes steaming on the second side the waffles are done. They make lovely savory waffles and you can add all sorts of things to the batter or serve on top.

Daphne, I can adjust recipes up or down, in college a group of us used to fix breakfast for 20-30 and supper for 30-50, and now I cook for two. I would love for you just to post the recipe here (we even had a thread going for recipes here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...avorite+recipes ).

Alrighty -- by popular request, here it is. I am going to admit that when I make this, I don't measure the stuff -- just go by instinct. But my older sister makes a pretty mean pot of arroz caldo so I bummed her recipe since she takes exact measurements.

This is the basic recipe for arroz caldo. But once you get the hang of how to make it, you can tweak the ingredients to your liking (perhaps more ginger if you want a pleasant heat/spiciness to the soup, or more onions and garlic). For my family and more recently my bf, they love having more ginger and garlic and onion in it to give the soup more heat/spiciness.

For the fish sauce, it's a common condiment in SE Asia. You can find this in asian groceries or online. But I've seen major grocery chains carrying bottles of fish sauce in their international/asian aisle too. There's a ton of varieties, but I always go for the ones that are bit pricey (like $5-6 a bottle) and has the color of light tea. If it looks dark like Coca-cola, avoid it -- it means it's very salty and low grade (forget how its manufactured -- will need to check Wikipedia).

The smell is awful when you open the bottle, but when used in cooking, it smells fantastic when sauteed with aromatics (find it enhances flavor better than salt).

Filipino Arroz Caldo (Chicken Rice Soup/Porridge) - serves about 8

1 whole chicken (around 3 to 4 lbs), bone-in, cut into small pieces -- or you can sub it with whole, bone-in chicken breast

1 palm-size ginger, peeled and minced (to about 1 cup)

2 heads garlic, peeled

1 onion, peeled and sliced thinly

1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice

3-4 quarts chicken stock (canned or homemade)

salt and pepper to taste

2 tbsp fish sauce (or to taste if you're used to it)

Suggested Condiments

- chopped green onions

- hard boiled eggs, already peeled and cut in half (my parents like to add this to their bowls)

- lemon slices

- garlic oil (see steps 2 and 3 in recipe)

Instructions

1. Trim unwanted fat from chicken parts, wash and drain well. In a separate bowl, rinse the rice until the water is no longer starchy; drain well.

2. Take the peeled garlic cloves and mince them. Reserved 1 tsp of it and set that aside.

3. In a small pan, heat about 1/8 cup of the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, reduce heat to low and put the remaining minced garlic in it. Let the garlic steep in the oil until brown and toasted. Take it off the heat and keep it warm.

4. In large, heavy bottomed pot, heat some more olive oil (about 3 tbsp). Saute the onions, the remaining 1 tsp of minced garlic, and the minced ginger until soft and aromatic.

5. Throw in the chicken pieces and cook, stirring constantly, until the pieces are lightly browned (my sister says the best way to know is when you see the chicken releasing its juices). Add the fish sauce and continue to cook it for another 1-2 minutes.

6. Add the drained rice and stir until the grains are coated with the chicken/oil mixture. Pour in the chicken broth/stock, allow it to boil. Skim any foam that floats to the surface before covering the pot.

7. Turn the heat to low and cook the mixture until the rice has softened and the arroz caldo has thickened to a desired consistency (if the mixture is too thick, just add more broth/stock). Season to taste with salt and pepper (here, I usually do about 1/8 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt).

8. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the condiments. Best served piping hot (and drizzled with chopped green onions, the garlic oil, and a squirt of fresh lemon juice).

YUM!!! Thank you, Daphne! I shall have to try it!

Hi Holly -- let me know how it turns out! My mother used to make this after the holidays to help us recover from the holiday feasting. Or if one of us gets sick with something like the flu. It's very easy on the stomach -- guess the garlic and ginger gives one some antibacterial and antiviral support as well. :p

At least that's what the BF claims -- he's feigned illness before just so we can have a big pot of this on the stove. Crazy man. Then again, at least this is one dish I know he'll go for seconds and thirds. :giggle:

It is cold cold cold this morning. In the teens actually. I want to do some dusting today. I already went over my bills for the month. I have been gathering up all the paperwork that comes in the mail for taxes.

I am going to make kielbasa with rice and beans for dinner today. It is a favorite of Freds. I should go to the gym this morning and get a walk in. I will see if Fred is up for it. I do not want to go alone or with just Natalie. Just in case i cannot drive, he will be there.

I have lots of things I need to do but I am going slow. a little bit at a time.

I think I'm going to hit the antique shops in my neighborhood, maybe I'll find a mini treasure. I know that one of the shops has a litho house and another has an old house from around 1910, but she wants too much for that one, but I'll talk to her. :giggle:

The sun is out so I doubt it's out of the teens outside. I'm going to take some chicken out of the freezer to try Daphne's arroz caldo tonight. This AM I'm thinking pancakes & grits to thaw out the tummy (and stand over the stove!lol).

I made Malt O Meal for breakfast today. It is good to have a hot cereal of some type when it is cold like this. Especially when you know you have to go out in it!

Hey Heidi, we had kielbasa yesterday, but with roasted potatoes. I adapted a grilled potato recipe a friend gave me 20 years ago to the oven. I sliced potatoes, then put them in a bag with some Good Seasons Italian dressing, a little extra oil and a good measure of Good Season's dry dressing powder to give them extra flavor. I baked them on a baking sheet at 475 for a while, then took them out, flipped them over and dropped the oven temp to 350 and put the kielbasa into the oven.

I've been doing my wii, have to take pictures of some new products for NEM, and have to do assorted what-not stuff today.

Hey Graz, you live in New England. Have you heard of Mucke`s kielbasa? It is like THE best..Hillshire Farms cant touch this stuff.

Okay..I am off to warm up the car and go to Rite Aid.

The pancakes & grits were go-o-od & hot, and I popped some smoked turkey link sausage into the oven for an excuse to turn it on. I'll put on a heavy sweater & a pair of closed-to sandals to see if it helps (I swore off closed shoes when we retired, and except for this weather my feet have been happy little campers ever since). Another good day to huddle over my little electric heater & mini!

Yup..it is 13 deg F out there.

I have some good news. I hooked the wifi router back up to see if maybe Just maybe it was working..and it is! Yay! I will keep an eye on how strong the connection is. If it isnt very good, I will shop for a new one.

I replaced my nail file that was lost, I am going to paint my nails, and then I am going to make the kielbasa.

Well did some window staining today - bit tedious, but it is keeping me from moving on with Bullwinkle Terrace, so gotta get it done. Next is painting the frames white. That will wait I think. Was going to leave to go pick up my sister and niece from the airport in 15 minutes, but they're delayed so now got an extra hour and a bit to occupy myself. Not sure what I'll do, bit in a 'can't be bothered to do anything' mood!

Y'all with your kielbasa are making me hungry, and it so happens I have one in the freezer - guess what's for dinner tonight? :giggle:

Had a scare last night - Koko got into a gargantuan fight with another cat, NOT one of our neighborhood regulars but someone I don't know. I just barely saw the other cat, who was confronting Koko on our porch, I opened the door to see what all the feline grand opera was about and they both shot off the porch across the yard and ended up sounding like they were tearing each other to bits under my neighbor's boat, where I couldn't get at them. It went on and on and on, and finally Koko shot back into the house, fully puffed and gobs of torn fur sticking out everywhere.

It took a loooong time before he calmed down enough to let me look at him; meanwhile I'd seen bloody smears in the bathroom, where he'd gone first and that really scared me. Turned out he is a little banged up around the head and neck, no visible wounds elsewhere, and the blood was all over his rear claws and NOT his - he'd evidently done his best to disembowel the other cat. Vicious little critters, aren't they? I did check with my neighbors who have cats and it wasn't one of theirs, thank heavens, their kitties were all indoors when World War III took place.

Hizzoner scorfed an entire can of catfood and then passed out on the bed, where he still is. I'm sure if I asked him he'd say, "You should see the OTHER guy!"

Cats can really get into it, can't they? Glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

I'm trying to be good and do some laundry and house cleaning this am. I did sneak in a little mini time-mostly putting glue on more things that I have to sit and wait on now!

I also have a piece of kielbasa in the freezer, but Daphne made me hungry for arroz caldo and I have such a taste for the lovely Indian ginger I can hardly stand it, just waiting for the chicken to thaw a bit more.

Believe me, the ingredients for Daphne's arroz caldo got added to the top of my shopping list. And I am planning to go sometime next week, to be followed shortly by a pot of it. It does sound absolutely divine :giggle:

Mr. Koko just arose, requested that I open the door, stuck his nose out and HISSED, came back in, gobbled more food and retired again. He's probably pretty bruised under all that fur, does have quite a few dings on his head and neck, and is missing a dew claw on his foot. Could have been worse....

Rice and beans and kielbasa were very filling and very good. I basically had it for lunch because Fred wanted to bring it to work for dinner. There is a another full dinner serving in the fridge but Fred and I are going to share that for lunch tomorrow.

I washed all the dishes, put a few things away, tossed the little christmas tree for trash (it is missing its stand for years), painted my fingernails and I am eating grape tomatoes as a snack. It has been a productive day!

Sorry Holly and Mary about the arroz caldo -- hope you all like it when you try it out! (Actually eating its leftovers -- it was a huge pot, and my family didn't take enough home with them. So it looks like BF and I will be eating this for a couple of nights).

Exhausted from the running around this weekend, but am forcing myself to finish the Victorian cottage. Got one more wall to wallpaper, then need to paint the ceilings for the second floor before installing the roof. Waiting on new asphalt shingles to arrive for it, and have to wait until next payday to order the baseboard and cornices....

*sigh* This weekend went by too fast. :giggle: