What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Sitting on the counter right next to the sink is a gallon jug of bleach, now half empty. Helps some, but still wonder if I'm giving a chemical boost to something horrid down there LOL. I'm told the plumber is coming tomorrow morning between 9 and 10 a.m. Can't be soon enough for me!

Make sure you tell the plumber you threw bleach down there. He could get a chemical burn if he did not know ahead of time.

I am on the dino lap top, in bed, watching Cake Boss. The Dr office had to change my appt for Wed at 9am. The P.A. that I will be seeing had to go into a surgery tomorrow. Lets just all cross our fingers that it IS ascending pain (which is a good thing) and not something else.

I have plenty of pain pills to hold me off until my appointment. They definitely wanted me to come in because it is a new pain..plus I was starting to feel kinda normal..now it feels like a setback.

Ooo! I am getting a package! ..Hey, how are you doing with the Not smoking? My best friend keeps coming up with excuses so I do not ask anymore. She will quit when she and if she is ever ready to.

Heidi, I'm sorry that you're hurting, but so very proud that you are staying away from the nasty weeds.

Christmas did me in, I'm afraid. Just something about how quiet it was, no friends or neighbors around and not being able to fall back on my usual panacea for all ills - cooking. Oh, I could cook, but haven't because of the food prep and clean-up problems with a non-working kitchen sink. It's no excuse, just a reason, and I have climbed back up onto the nic-free wagon as of yesterday. But, lordy, what I wouldn't give for - well, you all know what!

And yes, I will indeed tell the plumber I've poured at least a couple of cups of bleach down there. Actually, I've understood that the next step is to run a mini camera down there to really see what's going on. My poor neighbor is the one who's really suffering - he's just not able to cope when there's a change in his routine and I held his hand through a major rant about the whole thing a couple of hours ago.

Also figured out just which old horror pic is lurking in the back of my mind over this whole nasty sink business. Anyone remember a sci-fi horror flick called "The H-Man"? I had the privilege (?) of seeing the thing at the Saturday movies in Corvallis, OR when I was around nine or ten years old (mid-1960's) and it scared the bejeepers out of me. It was one of those nuclear-inspired Japanese end-of-the-world things, and as I recall, I slept in the guest bedroom on the first floor that night instead of in my attic bedroom. And that in spite of the fact that I spent a LOT of time out in the lobby while the movie was running....

A#1 Sink declogger.......from Mom

I kept getting a mega clog in the kid's bathroom sink. The liquids I bought did nothing. I couldn't figure out what caused it. No one washed their hair there or anything like that. Mom told me to dump baking soda and vinegar in there. It's all she ever used. Her house had 100 year old pipes and she was afraid to use harsh chemicals on them.

I shove in as much baking soda as I can, then dump in vinegar and close the drain so the bubbling action will push the stuff downward. If the drain is open, the bubbles go up and bring some of the clog back up into the sink. If it's bad, I'll keep adding vinegar bit by bit, making sure I've closed the drain. In the bathroom I have to use a rag to do it.

Eventually, you'll hear the drain unclog and water will run freely down the drain.

BTW, what clogged the drain turned out to be mold. It seems that mold will feed on all sorts of things, and it really seems to like toothpaste, or so I've read. After the drain is clear, I'll pour a goodly amount of bleach in there.

I recently started noticing a moldy smell coming from another bathroom sink. It was running fine, though. Pouring bleach seemed to have no effect, so I bought some clingy gel cleaner with bleach in it and squirted it down the sides of the drain.

Moldy smell all gone.

Back to work today!

They've been saying the that the weather will get very cold today and nearly a foot of snow over wales. We're just south of Wales, so were hoping for some snow, but it sounded like it was heading further north wales direction rather than south. This morning they said south wales and south west! Could be exciting!! At the moment though it is just raining out there :p Waiting for the weather forecast...

Working here today, Weston (12.5 miles away) tomorrow and back here thursday. If I'm snowed in tomorrow, well i'm snowed in! :p

Hope you're all warm and that sink gets fixed!

Aww, boo! The snow on the weather forecast stops about 10 miles north of us and all we get is rain all day. What a pity! My mum (where I used to live) will get loads of snow though, and I'm sure she doesn't really want it :p

Hmm, so far this morning has yielded an another inch of that white fuzzy cold stuff and is still coming down pretty "well" so to speak... Yesterday afternoon the temps dropped again under freezing temp so it is an icey surface below the snow as well, oh joy, or not.

Good excuse to mostly stay indoors LOL will only get out and about going over to PILs a couple of blocks away to celebrate "second" Christmas with them as we spent Christmas Eve with my parents this year.

Hugs

I am in pain but not as much as yesterday or the day before. i can actually tolerate sitting down. The house is a mess. Ugh.

So tomorrow morning I go to the surgeon to have to PA give me a once over just to be on the safe side.

It snowed a teeny bit last night. It is on the cold side here in the house. I have to wait for Thursday to fill the oil tank. I have the portable electric heater going in the living room. It helps with the heat distribution. I am thinking of purchasing one for our bedroom, for those nights when it is really nippy out.

I am doing better but not like I was before this hit. It might just be the ascending pain..he should have told me it was going to HURT that much.

This set back just drives me nuts. I was doing so well. I was still following the rules but I had hardly any pain.

I have the boxes for the Christmas tree and ornaments sitting here. I cannot do it. I will get the girls to do it.

I will be good. But you all know how it can be. You look at this stuff and it drives you nuts!

I have to wait for oil because there are so many getting it that it is a busy week. Maybe they will call tomorrow to say I can have it tomorrow instead.

I am glad I had no real plans for New years or I would be mad. I think the plans for my birthday will still be up in the air for now.

Nope, no snow! Not a single speckle. Oh well.

Work was mostly ok, one rather nasty person (they have various mental health issues though, so must be forgiven) spoiled the day though. Otherwise would have been a good day!

How's the sink today? All better?

Sending sitting energy Heidi!

Plumber showed up about 10 a.m. and alternated between my kitchen and my neighbor's, did get rid of the standing water (PEW!), and then worked with some ultrasound sensor to figure out just where the pipes were before taking a jackhammer to the concrete slab floor. Well, it turns out that my poor neighbor is the one who is having his kitchen floor torn up, as well as the floor in his storage room (where the hot water tank lives and is right next to the kitchen). What happens after that, I don't know. Just waiting to see where this goes, and looking at an absolutely filthy kitchen floor - but at least my floor is in one piece, so far. Plumber did say he may need to open up the wall between my kitchen and living room. SIGH!!

Petted and soothed my neighbor a little bit ago, and he's now gone out for a beer (or maybe six) at the bar on the corner. He probably has the right idea!

Heidi, hoping all goes well with the doctor's visit!

Well, it turned out to be a partially crushed pipe under the doorway to my neighbor's storage room. It's been replaced and our sinks are now running beautifully, but OMG what a mess in my neighbor's apartment - piles of dirt, broken concrete slab and flooring - and what a smell! Definitely eau du sewage, yuk! There are two major holes dug in the floor, one in the kitchen and one in the storage room's doorway, and it looks like he's in for new linoleum, not to mention the concrete slab underneath.

Now, what caused it? Well, Roslyn is one of the earliest coal mining towns in Washington State (why the entire town is registered as a historic district) and it is basically built over mining tunnels. So we have a lot of ground settling and movement here and there just really isn't any such thing as level ground here. Most likely there was some settlement and a rock in the dirt surrounding the pipe punched a hole in it. Not a lot that can be done to prevent such things, unfortunately.

It could easily have been my apartment - just the luck of the draw that the crushed pipe was under my neighbor's place instead of mine. I wouldn't blame him if he just went back to the bar and stayed there until it's all cleaned up!

you ought to join your neighbor at the bar! Sounds like he has the right idea. We took the whole crowd out to eat Mexican food, and enjoyed ourselves. Even the babies like their Mexican food, and the manager came by to check on us several times and watch the kids stuffing down his food. Now DS2 and his bunch are headed home but will bring grandson 1 over to spend the day with granddaughter 1 tomorrow, as they have a wonderful time together. We went to Barnes and Noble, still no dollhouse books or magazines, but bought the grands books and DS1 bought a book about touring Washington DC with kids-sounds like a book we will use this summer!

I'm exhausted and don't intend to do anything after a day of 4 kids!

Sounds like you had a great day Sherry! And Yikes, Mary, yours sounds interesting, at least things are getting fixed.

Me, I've still been taking down Christmas decorations. I just can't make myself stay focused and motivated. I've made progress though. I've decided next year that I am putting up the tree, stockings, my Christmas train, my Lego Christmas train, and the nutcrackers. Maybe a candle and dishtowel or two. And that's it! Nobody else here could care less (except maybe my youngest, and that should be good amount for him, he'll be 11), so why should I put out all this effort. Blah! Yeah, we'll see how that turns out!

Thanks for the baking soda & vinegar tip, Grazhina. We have a septic tank and maintain a "live" system (keep the bacteria happy & well-fed) so NO bleach down the drain. Fortunately only the black water goes into the tank, so I can use small amounts in the kitchen sink. I pour boiling water down the drain every few days, just to keep things clear & open (no slowdowns noted). Mary, I'm so glad your problem's fixed. We had a nearly 100-year-old terra-cotta drain from our house to the sewer get crushed by the moving van when we moved into our house in OH and it took the plumber nearly four months to figure out the problem wasn't in our basement drain (where the washer backed up into).

Yesterday was my birthday, but what I wanted for a present was a shopping trip to Albany, GA, and some of the stores we like are closed on Mondays, so we went today. In addition to the shopping my sweetie took me out to nice places for lunch and supper.

Hobby Lobby had a 1:12 porcelain teaset! and all their Christmas stuff was 50% off. I found some 1:12 nutcrackers and on the clearance wall I found some charms that will make nice 1:12 nicknacks.

Very quiet day and boy is it cold!! Trying to convence the two boxers they really needed to go out was a chore. The Golden was out romping through the snow for better then two hours today!All are now lying down next to the heater in the family room.

Last night I spent over 2 hours trying to fix my son's laptop. It had frozen up like you wouldn't believe. Finally it was working ok, but then, after all that, I couldn't fall asleep. My brain just wouldn't shut down, so I got up and for some reason decided that 1AM would be a good time to get started on cleaning my kitchen cabinets. It's amazing how much gunk you can find on kitchen cabinets when you climb up on a chair with your reading glasses on.

At 7AM I stuck a pot roast in my slow cooker, put some frozen bread dough in a pan and went to bed. I woke up shortly after noon and put in another 2 hours working on my son's laptop. Apparently all the work I did last night wasn't enough, because it was freezing up again, not as badly as the night before, though.

It now seems to be working just fine.....I sure hope so, I can't stand to try and fix it again.

BTW, if you have a Netflix account and are looking for DVDs to watch, we just finished watching season 1 of Corner Gas, a Canadian sitcom. We've been enjoying it and are looking forward to the discs for season 2 to arrive.

Our wireless router poo`ed the bed last night. I had a feeling it was getting ready to go. Connectivity has been iffy lately. There was a cable surge (cable and internet went out for 5 min) and the router died.

I got it for not alot of money and I have had it for over 2 years..so I am not going to complain. I will have to shop around for a new one tomorrow. So no dino laptop for me tonite! LOL