What are you working on today?

ilovecats

Mar, I know that feeling! I don't have room to have more than one build at a time, and I still have quite a bit left to do on La Casita, but I have to take a furniture-making break to use up some stuff.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am supposed to be working on MacPherson Farm (southern plantation house), but I have run out of ambition for it for the mo', so I am busy watching the grass grow.

:giggle:

I'm working on my Harry Potter style Magic Shoppe as time permits. Yesterday I started the shingles on the main roof. I used the HBS shingle dye to color them & I think they will look nice, but due to the weather, it took almost a week for them to dry after I colored them! For the window & door in the enclosed pic, I used glass suncatchers. The brick & stone was made with a Bromley stencil.

today im (unfortunately) doing my homework. hopefully I can get it done today and have the rest of the weekend for minis. my schedule this semester rocks. school only monday and wednesdays. and one class tuesday night. lots of time go get all my homework done early in the week and lots of time for minis afterward

Steve,

Your Magic Shoppe looks wonderful. The Bromley system -- snd your talent-- are making a terrific exterior. :juggle: I also like the suncatchers.

Did you use the "stone" powder that Bromley sells, or use something else?

:lol:

Judith...For the stones. First I tried gray plaster, but it seemed to dry too fast, so I mixed spackling with it & had some good results. I made it on like posterboard & put it up with contact cement. Then I painted random stones with different colors of gray. When done, I gave the whole building a coat of minwax clear. For regular bricks, I use spackling colored with red chalk that they use for chalk lines.

Judith...For the stones. First I tried gray plaster, but it seemed to dry too fast, so I mixed spackling with it & had some good results. I made it on like posterboard & put it up with contact cement. Then I painted random stones with different colors of gray. When done, I gave the whole building a coat of minwax clear. For regular bricks, I use spackling colored with red chalk that they use for chalk lines.

Thanks for the info. You have a lot of good ideas which I will now add to my collection. :juggle:

:lol:

I finished weaving the seats on the 1:24 chairs, it took all day to do two chairs because I kept having distortion issues. Finally I figured out to glue them temporarily to scrapwood until I was mostly finished, and they turned out a lot better. I wrote up a tutorial, if anyone's interested.

Today I'm fighting with the awful instructions for the little cupboard kit. If I don't tear it into a million bits it'll be cute. I do wish they'd quit telling me to refer to the diagrams to identify the parts, since there aren't any parts schematics (mumble, *magic words*, mumble) to go by. So far I've guessed wrong once that was critical...

Muriel, here's a {BIG HUG} for encouragement that you'll knock their socks off with your dissertation.

Thanks :juggle: It encouraged me, and not sure that I knocked their socks off, but I do think it went well. Had a lot to say, and they are very strict on timekeeping: 5 marks (out of 100) off for every 30 seconds over or under the alloted 15 mins! - though no marks off if you are within 14:30-15:30. Chris said I finished in 14:59 according to his timing! And I could answer most of the questions and had satisfactory reasons for the not answering the others (ie I didn't analyse it from that aspect). No idea if we get the marks for the presentation back before the thesis write-up marks, or if we get them all together.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts! :lol:

A couple nights ago I dreamt that our local DIY shop started selling dollhouse bits - furniture sets as far as I can remember. Anyway, I dreamt I found a fantastic roombox of a studio flat. This has inspired me, so today I've been doing some designs for that, and hopefully will get to make it sometime!

Muriel :banana:

I started to shingle the main roof of my Magic Shoppe. I'm using the hot glue gun & it's going quite well. The roof is square & I only have the one side done so far. I had to edit out the background of the pic, so you wouldn't see all my junk piled up behind it ! (lol) But I couldn't edit out the photo of Norm that I have on the wall !!

Looking good, Steve!

I guess I have no choice but to work on the Workshop today. I dreamed about it last night and got an idea or two. Man, what a pushy l'il kit.

still working on the entrance to the Lincoln house, but the primer is done and just needs a coat of trim paint (if I can decide what color).

I got the Lawbre greenhouse in the mail a few days ago, so I'm reading through all the pages (and pages...and pages...) of instructions. I'll hold back on actually starting it till the Lincoln is put together.

I'm also back to knitting on the lace 'fern path' stole that has given me grief with chart errors. I think I've figured it out now and am back to having fun with it.

My oldest son's birthday today! Turns 24! He also will graduate from USC (Carolina) in a few weeks with his BAs in studio art and art history. He's already talking graduate school, but hasn't decided where to apply.

Today I dont think I will have much time to play with the spring fling house. I have laundry to get done and then I was asked by someone I met(not sure about him) to take the kids to the park this afternoon I will be meeting him there. I met him at daycare he has a daughter and is a single parent like me we will see where it goes but as of right now a relationship scares me to death so Iam not sure. We will see what happens.

Lyn, I probably missed it you saying, but was just wondering how the interview for the Photo dept went? Good luck this afternoon, I hope you have fun!

I didnt get the postion they said that I lack courage when it comes to leadership skills! I really sdont get it though the girl that got the postion has never processed photo or has even been trianed in that postion so I just dont get it. As far as the courage aspect of it goes I feel that I have what it takes heck they let me run a different department for nearly 3 weeks and this department is alot harder then the photo lab one. I also have 3 kids Iam raiseing by myself so if that doesnt show courage then I dont know what does. I have so many different areas in where Iam trained at I just dont understand why they wont advance me at all!! I think they just dont want to pay me anymore money then what they are I feel Iam well worth more then the 7.70 there paying me a hour for all the work I do!!

Awww, I'm really sorry to hear that! I'm sure you certainly deserve more than that. Keep your eye out though, and any time you do more than you have to, or show leadership, write it down, and next time you can tell them exactly when you did what, and how that shows your courage and leadership. *Hugs*

Muriel :)

Not doing anything mini today. I spread manure and tilled the veggie bed. Planted some red onions, red and yellow bell peppers today. I cleaned up around the yard too.

Today is movie day. I rented four movies and I am going to watch them all. Juno (seen at theatre but want to see again), Enchanted, I am Legend, and Across the Universe...I also have a copy of Sweeney Todd that I havent watched yet.

Not a mini will be done today.

Now it is time to take a shower...something smells around here..*sniff sniff*

movie night sounds like a good idea! We watched 'Atonement' last night.

Since today is the big kid's b'day ( :wave: 24) and has requested home cooked meal, we will probably take the movie suggestion he comes up with (oh no, not 'Fargo' again!!). I'm making coquilles St Jacques and fresh spinach. Kellan (the 16 year old) is baking brownies and blondies for his big bro. A bottle of champagne will be broken out (the cheap stuff, but we aren't snooty on that).

I have been working on my workshop a little the past few days. Both kids had activities yesterday, so I was alone for 4 whole hours! It was weird. :wave:

I went to a few yardsales this morning and found 2 bags of costume jewelry, most of which is perfect for stoves, fireplaces, ceiling medallions, etc. So excited!! Also found a Manga from 1961 for DD. She is doing a report on Japanese comics through the 1900's, so that was great.

We are watching Enchanted tonight also! I had forgotten that I put it on hold at the library and it came in today - how perfect!

You picked great movies Heidi! I want to see Juno and Across the Universe, too. I'm not a "movie girl", though - I have a hard time sitting still the whole time, so it will be a while before I get to those.

Have fun!

I have the house to myself and it is too muddy to work outside.

I put some of Maggie's slot trim on and the shingles of her porch. I wanted to practice on that before I tackle her roof.

I also worked on the Spring Fling. I almost have it finished and that will have to wait until Monday so everything will be dry and I can look at her with fresh eyes.

You picked great movies Heidi! I want to see Juno and Across the Universe, too.

Juno is a great movie. We all laughed our booties off in the movie theater. I have watched Across the Universe once before but Chelsea wanted to see it again..(she is watching it now)..If you like Beatles songs you will like this movie. If you are not into soundtrack type movies then you probably wont like it.

I was a huge Beatles fan from wayyy back. Bros and Sis were much older then me so I got a taste of it when I was young. Then when John Lennon died, I re-introduced myself to it. The girls HATE it when I blast the White Album CD in the car...hehehe

(and Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Joan Jett, The Clash and the Ramones)

Okay enough of that...back to minis!

I took a load of junk to the dump....then i started working on the Granville. Earlier this week i made an effort to find a squirt bottle at walmart so i could do the fabric softener/water combo....today i remembered that i had thrown out the softener months ago because it had a sour smell to it :wave: :yikes: ....so i made due with a combo of water and 409. Worked well actually. I was able to remove the kitchen floor and the remainder of the wallpaper...oh and most of the living room floor (also with the help of a screwdriver). My problem is that i have the living room floor soaked and i'm not able to get the rest of the flooring up. It seems that the lady who built the house used white glue to glue all the walls and flooring together, but she used wood glue to glue the crappy flooring down in the living room. I am out of vinegar so i tried windex since it has ammonia in it (don't have any ammonia either). I'm stuck. I'm trying to decide if i will just completely cut out the living room floor and replace it with new wood. I have some 1/8 inch plywood down in the basement. It's very tempting...The house looks great with all the wallpaper removed, it will be fun to start basically from scratch with decorating!

Once i get the floor done...whatever i decide to do with it...i'll reglue the foundation and walls, then reinforce the foundation. Then i'm ready to paint the house on the outside! I'm going to paint it in the same colors as my beacon hill, and use one or two other accent colors! ....some of the siding has a rough surface so i'm going to try to sand it down to see if there is an improvement. This is really a cool house!