Awestruck Newbie Alert!

corispice

Hi everyone!

My name is Corinne and I am completely and utterly new to this fascinating world of tiny creations but super excited to start out. I've been lurking on this forum for, oh, about a day or so now and loved looking at the pictures you post in threads and think it's great that everyone seems to get along so well.

I don't know what else to say. I am really interested in making a contemporary or modern furnished house, but it seems like there isn't a great deal of modern stuff. What can I say? I am an IKEA junkie, and if I were ever to win the lottery or get a grown up job with my stupid liberal arts degree, I'd totally splurge on some 50s Danish modern furniture for my apartment.

I also have a guilty pleasure for bad television and my 90210 dvds, but I guess that doesn't really have to do with any of this!

So, I look forward to meeting you and seeing more fabulous creations (and, if anyone has some modern rooms or projects they have done, please show me so I can envy you!)

Hi Corinne, and welcome to the forum. :p It's not that everyone "seems" to get along well - we really do! This is like a big family, where everyone supports each other with comments, advice (if asked for), encouragement and good humour. One of the great things about building and decorating minis is that you can live vicariously through them. If you dream of an Ikea modern home, then you can start with a mini one. I can't recall any Danish furnishings in the members' gallery, but I could be wrong. Maybe you'll be the first to post pics here! Do you have a dollhouse?

Hello and welcome Corine! There are many of us on here who lean towards the more contemporary type of dollhouses.....but sometimes with a Victorian or other flair!

Don't be shy now, just jump in and enjoy yourself! This is the playground for all of us here!

Wolfie

Welcome, Corrine ... be careful here. You'll soon find out that what you think is fascination is really a full-blown addiction to minis! :p

As for style, there is a fair amount of modern furniture and accessories out there. You'll soon learn where to look. Those of us without dollhouse shops nearby shop on line. A favorite place is Hobby Builders Supply. You'll see it referred to as HBS or see mention of Ernie, the proprietor.

For items you can't find ... well, there's a whole lot of talent here that is generously shared. You can get directions and tips on how to make just about anything mini. Again ... welcome! ;)

I just found Ernie's website, and I've been pretty much scrolling through it for like 2 hours! I invision a sweet artist loft/ home office in the attic complete with a futon and just tons of little things.

I don't have a house yet, I want to go to some more stores around here to see some things in real life. I'm leaning towards something sort of town-homey, sort of like a turn of the century thing renovated by people in the arts. I've already bid on a miniature Panton chair on ebay.

Thanks for the welcome, though.

Also, one quick question. Has anyone here created any built in tub units? Or walk in dream showers? On HBS I saw a garden tub that would look super sweet in a dream miniature bathroom. I'd love some tips on how you all create your bathrooms!

I also love modern furniture and also 50's furniture now renamed "mid century modern". A good place to get instructions for modern furniture is in miniature magazines. Also, almost any pattern can be adjust to keep the scale and still change the style.

When I see something I like in a store I snap a couple of pictures so I can remember details. There is alot you can do with dowels, bass wood glue and miniaturized vintage fabric.

Miniature making takes lots of pratice and I think that almost anyone who enjoys it develops an eye for detail and skill over time.

Welcome to the group.

Howdy Corinne!

If you can dream it..you can make it. It may take a few tries and alot of swear words but as you move on into your full blown mini obsession you will be very surprised at what you can do.

As for bad television...you are not alone! hehehehe

Hi Corrine,

Welcome to the board. Lots of nice people here and lots of great ideas. Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? They have a small selections of miniatures and some pre-built houses and kits. You can get ideas on how some of the houses look there. Also if they run an ad in your newspaper they usually have a 40% coupon. Who doesn't like to save???? Ours has about 6 or 7 houses built and I like to look at those, especially if I see one in HBS Hobby Builders Supply) that interests me. I have built the Victorian Cottage Jr and I know our store has that one for $50 for the kit. It is a nice one to start with if you want a small house as are the other small houses. Good way to get into the hobby. You can see mine in the picture gallery. Actually you can see the front of mine in my to the left of my response under my name. Anyway these are some of my ideas. I know I drool over my HBS catalog whenever it comes in the mail. 2 magazines you might want to check out are Dollhouse Miniatures and Miniature Collecter, these you can find at some magazine racks in stores. Or if you have a miniature shop near you they would have American Miniaturist. All of them have great ideas and have a project a month to do. Anyway have fun and we want to see pictures when you have one in progress. Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked. You name it and someone on here has done it. mini hugs, Teresa :p

Welcome from one of the mastif gender who also is among the oldest people on this forum. You will find that there is a world of friendly advice available here. I don't think anyone caches secret methods or ideas. You want an answer to your problem, you probably will get more than you needed. It is all for the enjoyment and satisfaction of our mini obsession.

I personally like the period furniture of the 1950's which I call "Early Married," because that is the right one for me and my lovely wife Marilyn. Now we live in the "Easy Essembly with Included Tools" period because that is what a lot of our accessory furniture is in our home. I can't find that in the mini catalogs so I have to build it myself (which is what I had to do for the original item - talk about scale!)

The main thing is enjoy you mini experience and let it evolve. You will love it. We are good people and all are on your side.

Hi Corrine and welcome to the forum!

This is a great place for your new found hobby. I also like the modern look, so I found an old classic house that I really, really liked ( the Beacon Hill) and I'm making the insides all modern. My family decided to gut the house and redo it!

There are some good modern pcs out there and if you don't find it it's allways fun making it.

http://www.elfminiatures.co.uk/

This place has great bath and kitchen ideas!

http://www.markturpin.com/bridgewater_main.html

This guy just has some of the best looking dollhouses modern and old.

Whatever house you get just enjoy!!!

Welcome, Corinne. I'm a big fan of the "midcentury" furniture, also. I modified a mini-magazine how-to article for a futon to make it working once I discovered wee metric nuts, bolts & washers!

post-8-1186058883_thumb.jpg

I have a copy of Contemporary Miniature Room Settings by Helen Ruthberg, a Chilton miniatures book (they are all, alas, OOP) with instructions for making all sorts of wonderful '50s & '60s furnishings & accessories. I either grew up with it or set up housekeeping with it.

Hi and :) ! I tend to go with a more modern look, but not ultra modern. I like to decorate how I would want the house I live in to be decorated. You can look at pictures in my gallery (link is below). It can be hard to find present time things...especially dolls. Enjoy it!!

;)

welcome!

you'll have so much fun here. everyone is very helpful and friendly.

I'm building the coventry cottage in a contemporary style. I'll be posting pics up soon, but I have some in my gallery.

and I'll post the link where there's a lot of modern settings in roomboxes later.

• 2 weeks later...