newbie question - your opinion on bathrooms

tyggereye

Do you think every doll house should have a bathroom? I'm very much kinda thinking I don't want one in my house. Will that make it odd? I do think eventually one day I'll pass it on to a granddaughter if I'm ever lucky to have one, but short of that it will be mine!! Forever! lol.

Do all your houses have bathrooms or only a few of them? What's your take on it?

I have no problem leaving off bathrooms. There's only so much you can do with them and sometimes the house doesn't have an appropriate space for them. I think it's silly to use up a big room as a bathroom because you feel like you "have to" if you want it to be something else.

(Same with stairs. I used to think it was weird to leave them out, but I've gotten over it..)

It depends who the house is for. It's fine with me to consider the bathroom is in a part of the house that can't be seen, but when I made a house without one for my granddaughter (then aged about 4), the first words out of her mouth when she saw it was, "Where's the bathroom?" Go figure!

Doc - that's likely the way it would have been with a keeper's house. I've left out a refrigerator for lack of space, but I can't seem to give up stairs or bathrooms. :lol: I do put in extra walls (sometimes removable) to make larger rooms more "bathroom-sized" instead of wasting a whole large space to have one. With that said, I see no problem leaving out stairs, bathrooms or even doors between rooms. Dollhouses are cutaway views by nature, so it makes sense to me!

• Like 1

Remember that what you "see" when you look at your house can be considered only one part of the house.

Thus, the bathroom and stairs (and any other item) can be in the "other" part of the house.

The other thing that irks me about bathrooms is the lack of decent modern looking toilets !!

The only one I found that is truly modern costs over $100.00 and I can hardly justify that price for one piece of a bathroom.

I wish someone would manufacture a reasonably priced one that looked like it belonged in this century and didn't have a brown or black seat !!!

off my soapbox now.....

• Like 6

You get an "AMEN" on that on, Selkie! LOL

My opinion is the same as the others- My house=stairs and bathrooms are optional! As for houses for clients or grandchildren= always need both because to them the house just isn't correct without 'em.

I've had several dollhouses without bathrooms but generally, I like having them simply because they sell so many great accessories for them that I can not stop myself from stuffing my bathrooms with minis. It's just like kitchens.

• Like 1

YES! to the modern bathrooms. Half scale is even worse. I'm going to do a nice updated master bath in my rowhouse, I have a luxurious plastic tub from MBS and plan to make a vanity out of a kitchen cabinet and build my own shower... but the toilet is baffling me. Ironically I might end up with a plastic Marx toilet from the 50s -- even those look more modern than the ones you can buy now. It's dumb.

• Like 1

Emily, when I was doing restoration work at the Mini Time Machine, I asked Pat why Brook Tucker always had a bathroom but no toilet. The answer...Brook hated cleaning toilets in real life, so she never put them in the bathrooms of her bedroom suites and the Yellow Rose House.

She said that the people that lived there didn't do toilet cleaning. LOL

As for the kids asking where the toilets are, when I was working in one of the mini stores here in town long, long, ago, that was the first thing that kids under 10 would notice. The other thing that bothered them was the lack of stairs. I have a couple of houses without stairs and I don't feel the need to put a toilet in shops, stores or small cottages. I just tell the kids that ask that the people in my houses all know how to aparate(Thanks Harry Potter) to get to the second floor and the toilet is in the main house(the townhouse). They can aparate to get there too. Actually, I am not sure how to spell that(aparate), but Tessie does it all the time!

• Like 1

The only house I bashed to install a bathroom was the Magnolia, since it was for a family with two little boys. Technically I could have left it off and gone with the "necessary", since it's a Florida Cracker house; but this family went to the trouble of having indoor plumbing. As for more modern toilets, I make my own, either out of tiny pill bottle bases or polymer clay; and because I happen to like wooden toilet seats in my 1:1 bathrooms, my mini ones also have them.

I guess I like a house to be as realistic as possible - if there are no stairs it drives me nuts! Sorry, Casey, I've never learned to "aparate" and I'm not a Harry Potter fan. My little peeps need stairs to climb. :) I always install the bathrooms, but I don't mind just giving the illusion of a bathroom. A closed door will do. This was a small wall-hanging house and both the elevator and bathroom are "fake" - there's nothing behind the doors. (The downstairs counterpart of the elevator has a closed door.)

• Like 4

haha most of you feel like I do about bathrooms. Good to know. That's why I stated its mainly my house. Because if I was making it for a child I would add a bathroom I think. My San Fran house has big rooms. None are worth making into a bathroom. The only thing I'd like to have in a dollhouse bathroom would be a really cute looking claw foot tub. I've always wanted one of those in real life. Otherwise... eh.. I do have stairs already in my house, but they are very cheesy and cheap looking. I will probably rehab them eventually with nicer rails and spindles.

Optional! My Aster does not have one and I left the stairs out as well. Simply too small. The other houses I've built have left me off the hook since I built them for fundraisers, so the children who get them can decorate them however they want. I will have a bathroom in my Lily, though.

• Like 1

I've long felt that miniature bathroom sets leave a lot to be desired. This one isn't bad, though.

http://www.newenglandminiatures.com/mobaset.html

I do have 2 of this set. I like it quite well. It's still not the uber modern that I am going for in my SF so I've been on a quest to find something that fit the bill.

Other than the one ($$$) at Elf miniatures, I've not found anything else that really suited what I had in mind. I even bought the clear plastic one from HBS to try painting it as they suggested. It's more in scale than most of them but not wild about the finished look of it - plus it doesn't stand up by itself, you have to tape or glue it in place.

I got a couple others and they were so huge that my poor little doll (who is a tad large for 1:12 scale anyway, needed a step stool to get on it. It was quite hilarious.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has toilet issues. Between the black and brown seats, the gold trim and the flowers everywhere, I just want to tear my hair out. I should mention that I do love the Victorian look for certain of my houses but just lately, I've not been wanting to go that design direction.

• Like 1

I'm kind of surprised to find myself in the majority here in thinking the bathroom is optional. Not that they can't be fun--I did a double roombox once and had a blast making a huge spa bathroom with a triangular jacuzzi tub. But it was such a relief when I stepped back and realized I didn't have to include a bathroom in every house. Unless it's part of the story I want to tell with the house, I'll leave them out now. Bathrooms for the sake of bathrooms can be boring...tbh, I feel the same way about kitchens. But maybe that's blasphemy? ;)

• Like 3

I think it depends on the house and how you feel about it. I have a few houses that I "had" to put in a bathroom. Then, I have another small house that I absolutely did not want one and it's perfectly fine without it.

I like what some of the others in the forum have said about having everything else in the "rest of the house," you know the imaginary part that didn't get built!

Whatever you do, make sure it's what you like because it's YOUR house. You are building it for you!

• Like 1

...make sure it's what you like because it's YOUR house. You are building it for you!

Unless you're building it for someone else. I admire those who can; building the Westville (which was sold before I ever got the box opened!) convinced me I do this for art, NOT for sale.

• Like 1

My current build is so tiny and is going to be a pizza place,so I plan to just hang a sign pointing to an imaginary restroom area. I took the good advice of other forum members and left off the Ashley's spiral stairs-there'll be much more room now! I would like to do a nice bathroom in a later house. My sister gave me the cutest claw foot tub-probably a RL soap dish,it's white plastic and just right for a mini soak! It's too bad some of the manufacturers of miniatures aren't a fly on our 'wall' sometimes. I get the impression if there were more suitable offerings in size,design,and price that there would be alot more mini bathrooms! Wonder who would we contact to give input to get something better? Just wondering...

All of this talk is making me want to build a new dollhouse :-)

Kat...I know for a fact at least one of the mini manufacturers stalks our threads here (and I don't mean Greenleaf) so maybe they'll take note;-)

I love the story about Brooke Tucker and the toilet, that's how I feel about cooking so if given limited space I would prefer a dining room to a place where food is prepared.

• Like 2