What's everyone working on?

Well, technically I'm not "working" on anything because I'm actually at WORK. But its been a slow day so I've used my downtime to search the web on Queen Anne Victorian homes.

Many of you might have read that I'm going to build one from scratch...

No, I'm not copying - hahahahaha - that's a verrrry funny word... can you imagine even attempting to "copy" something as magnificant as Ron's Garrison Mansion???

I'll probably be using a combination of foam, plywood, mdf, etc to build and am basing it on a real life house that I'm really trying to buy. The research today serves 2 purposes then... I want to decorate the dollhouse in true Victorian style but want to modernize it somewhat if I buy the real thing.

So I'm surfing, surfing, surfing. There was a fun blog to look through ourvictorianhouse.com.

I'm working on room boxes...I am totally smitten with them right now. I like immediate gratification and these come as close as you can get in this hobby LOL! (btw, hellos, I'm new here) My name is Daphne

Jennifer I love the dog in your avatar! Beautiful!

I am building the RGT 1 Country Lane. I am learning to "bash" the design with limited tools but what fun! Making or printing out almost everything is slow going lately but finally got my old computer running well enough to use my graphics programs. Holly, I am going to try and make my own braided/rag rugs for this house.

Have a nice Memorial Day Weekend and please remember why we celebrate this holiday!

I guess the sunny weather got my spirits up enough to do something. So I shingled (outside) my never-ending prototype # um ?.

I used 1/16" poplar cut into 1-1/2" strips (across the grain) then the strips were cut into various widths, tossed in to the air

(to mix them up) & then I just started shingling !!!

I like all the variations - coloring, width, & that they're not quite straight ...

still need to trim sides...

on to the back before it gets dark...

gallery_4762_4463_29479.jpg

I guess the sunny weather got my spirits up enough to do something. So I shingled (outside) my never-ending prototype # um ?.

I used 1/16" poplar cut into 1-1/2" strips (across the grain) then the strips were cut into various widths, tossed in to the air

(to mix them up) & then I just started shingling !!!

I like all the variations - coloring, width, & that they're not quite straight ...

still need to trim sides...

on to the back before it gets dark...

Love your shingle work, you would never be able to tell that you cut them yourself. They look perfectly straight to me, Excellent job :thumb:

Daphne, you have enough posts to start an album of your roomboxes (hint, hint)

hehehe! I did. Not super impressive but it's there. I wasn't sure if I should put all my playscale stuff in there or just link up my Flickr?

I've been working on some little faux enamelware things. I saw them somewhere online a while back and finally worked up the courage to try...oh my goodness what fun! Camera battery is charging so I will post in the gallery later.

Love seeing what everyone is up to! haha! Helps me not feel so guilty about my obsessions. *wink*

Well, got all 3 finished! :) Yay me! And, I even took a few minutes out to wish my husband Happy Anniversary at midnight.

I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. Not hardly any accessories or anything, but I think enough so that it's nice. It was fun scavenging through my stuff to find the things I needed.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow or Saturday.

Okay, got the pictures up. :)

Well of course we want to see your 1:6 items, too!, Daphne. A lot of us are also Barbie collectors!

I finally gave up and went ahead and installed the first floor stirs in Maggie. Now I have to start on all the first floor interior window frames, including new inserts.

I am organizing my house, the craft spaces in particular. My desk is used mostly for working on my miniatures, but I have it loaded down with my knitting supplies, as well as my fine art supplies... sooo, I cleared off a couple of bookshelves in my bedroom and have moved my knitting stuff in there. I usually knit in that room anyhow. It was Casey's blog from the other day that got me started, so it's all her fault... err... I mean, she was my inspiration.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my fine art supplies since I don't have a dedicated space for it. I have materials strewn everywhere. That's the big reason I need to do this, I can't work if I don't have a space to do so uninterrupted. I'm eyeing up the patio outside my bedroom... it's walled and has a gate that locks. It doesn't have a roof though. Maybe I'll post pictures... anyone interested in organization pics?

Happy anniversary, Tracy!

Right now I am working on regaining my sanity after the school year so I can get back to work on my dollhouses. Both the dollhouses and my music have been on the back burner for the last two months of madly getting all of the end of the school year things done.

Thanks Chris! :)

I spent last week trying to get things done for the end of the school year too, both for my kids and for work. Unfortunately for me though, the summer is our busiest time at work, when all the kids and teachers are gone. At least though, we work longer days, and have Fridays off, so that I can spend that day ether volunteering or mini-ing!

Kathryn, how's about a dedicated cabinet to house your art supplies, beside the patio door/ And maybe a big, retractable awning so you can use the patio, even if the weather is less than wonderful? Ugh, Tracy, you reminded me I have to start cutting Maggie's baseboards! I'm going to use stripwood, in the interests of simplicity & sanity, as well as economy.

Looks like everyone is working hard! I'm slowly plodding along on filling the inside of my Spring Fling house. It's getting rather noisy as all the other houses are protesting the amount of continuous dedication on this project. I tried explaining that the house has a deadline if I want to enter the contest and that certainly did not help. Now all houses are shouting their own (completely arbitrary) deadlines. Oi. I had to close the door and shut the curtain to my craft room.

Kathryn, how's about a dedicated cabinet to house your art supplies, beside the patio door/ And maybe a big, retractable awning so you can use the patio, even if the weather is less than wonderful? Ugh, Tracy, you reminded me I have to start cutting Maggie's baseboards! I'm going to use stripwood, in the interests of simplicity & sanity, as well as economy.

Sorry Holly! whistling.gif WAY back a while ago I bought a box of baseboards for my McKinley from Ernie, and I still have plenty of that left, probably enough to finish the Beacon Hill. Also bought a box of crown molding, but it was tiny, and I need BIG for BH, so I've been buying that at Hobby Lobby during 50% sales.

I started cutting crown molding for the living room, but it's got that funky slanted wall, so it took me a bit of experimenting to get those not-45 degree angles right. No fun either that it faces away from me while looking into the back of the house. So at 12:30 last night I left it before I widdled too much down on 1 piece where I would have to pitch it. I'll get back to it in a few minutes when I can now think more clearly! Then I get to do the opposite angles in the dining room...

I haven't punched out door trim yet, so I need to do that before I can do any more baseboards. Hoping to have motivation for that today.

I did put up a few pictures yesterday of the new bedroom set I got for Mother's Day. :) Here's one.

gallery_3297_4358_84851.jpg

Holly, to put this picture in, while I was looking at it in my gallery there is a "Share Image" button at the top. When you click on it, it lists Facebook, Twitter, and stuff, but it also has the same stuff as on the old forum, BBCode, ImageLink, etc. :)

Looks like everyone is working hard! I'm slowly plodding along on filling the inside of my Spring Fling house. It's getting rather noisy as all the other houses are protesting the amount of continuous dedication on this project. I tried explaining that the house has a deadline if I want to enter the contest and that certainly did not help. Now all houses are shouting their own (completely arbitrary) deadlines. Oi. I had to close the door and shut the curtain to my craft room.

:D HAHA! This made me laugh. My dollies are protesting my miniature endeavors, in fact, I believe they may be plotting revolution...They believe it is in their bill of dolly rights that I should be chained to the sewing machine so that they will always have new dresses to model.

I've been making more paper jugs and finished a little shelf vignette.

gallery_8128_5155_274154.jpg

Boy oh boy was Kathie B right, this grouting is one messy business. I diluted the mix per the instructions to the consistency of pancake mix and dove right in. I thought that one jar would be enough, but no way. I'm going to need at least 3 more jars to get the chimneys done and to do touchups on the front facade. Messy, messy messy.

Hi Everyone!

I have to take a break as I am missing wood putty and paint for my two projects so I thought I would share what I've been doing lately. After making a full-scale Harrison last year for myself...whoops, I mean my 10 year old daughter :shifty: , I decided I should move to a smaller, more practical scale for other projects. I worked on the Greenleaf Town over the winter and am now full swing into a half-scale lighthouse. You can see progress picts in my Gallery and here:

post-5514-0-47814300-1306794303_thumb.jp

post-5514-0-57897500-1306794466_thumb.jp

Edited by biomom

I am preparing to wallpaper my dollhouses, as they were never done before. A friend of mine offered to help - or rather do it for me - but I am doing my research as to the best ways to wallper a Garfield house, which is the house we will start with. The other one is a Country House by Model Homes, which I believe may be out of business. That home should be relatively easy compared to the Garfield, but in the Country House I want to convert the attic to a third story with bedrooms and dormers.

I am also prepared to take these homes to a professional if this project gets to be too cumbersome, or if we run into too many problems, or plain simply - if we mess it up. Knowing I have a sure backup plan is giving me the courage to pursue this. But I am really looking forward to working on this with my friend, and I hope to set up a blog on this site so that I can document our progress.