What's everyone working on?

Thanks guys, I'm going to try the "dot" technique with the glue and see if that helps. I finally finished painting all the trim pieces for the windows. There were 22 of them left, but some how, some way one of them has taken an unexplained hike . Just walked off :eekout: I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later, but if it doesn't it may just have to go into this house naked!

I'm tired of painting, I never saw a house with so many darn trim pieces just for the windows. If I had realized that there were that many of them, I would have left them off all together, but once I started painting them there was no turning back. At last count there were 16 pieces for each window (how ridiculous is that ) and 11 windows. 176 pieces just for the windows, and that doesn't count the 2 pieces of "glass" or the other 4 windows in the house which thankfully only have 3 pieces each. If I never see another trim piece it will be too soon :hide: . And if I decide to do this house for myself I'm going to pull out my Dremel, enlarge the openings :construction: and BUY windows . It will be worth it not to go through the aggrevation.

• Like 1

Do all of the bricking first. Grouting is messy. Make it easy on yourself and only do it once. :D

Hi Kathie,

I'm taking your advice and grouting all at one time. I started with just a small section inside the fireplace just to get the hang of it. It came out pretty good, but I'm noticing that when I wipe off the excess grout the "crispness" of the brick seems to go with it. I'm finding that the bricks are very soft and the edges and fronts seem to blend into each other a little more than I like. I can see that this is going to be a very long process. For that small area I just used my finger to force it into the joints, but I'm thinking that I will put it in a plastic baggie, cut the corner and "pipe" it in like frosting then use a cue-tip to even it out or level it. But here's the thing, I only just noticed on the mortar jar that it says you can thin it with water. Have you tried this? Or does anyone recommend thinning it? It would definitely make the mortar go a lot further, and I think it might even cut down on the abrasiveness on the face of the bricks. Have you ever thinned the mortar?

Not sure what mortar you are using. I'd try thinning it down a bit if it's so abrasive that it is scouring the brick edges. I've used regular "real house" tile grout which I mixed with water to a consistency something like sour cream and rubbed it in with my fingertips until the spaces were filled and a thin film of mortar remained on the face of the bricks. I let the area dry a bit (maybe 15-20 minutes) to let the mortar in the spaces set and then wiped off the excess with a damp sponge.

Not sure what mortar you are using. I'd try thinning it down a bit if it's so abrasive that it is scouring the brick edges. I've used regular "real house" tile grout which I mixed with water to a consistency something like sour cream and rubbed it in with my fingertips until the spaces were filled and a thin film of mortar remained on the face of the bricks. I let the area dry a bit (maybe 15-20 minutes) to let the mortar in the spaces set and then wiped off the excess with a damp sponge.

I'm using HBS grey Mortar Mix AMO239. I'll try thinning it and see if that works (on something very small):thumb: I probably should have bought a different kind of brick, something a little harder, (but what do I know). If this method doesn't work and I keep getting the"soft" fronts, I'll jsut use these bricks on the chimney and shop for something harder for the front facade. Thanks Kathie :yes:

I put all the great advice I got into action and got one side of the Willow sided. The "glue dots" and the masking tape worked perfectly and there's not a warped or curled piece in sight. Thanks Guys you rock!:thumb:

• Like 1

I got the siding finished on the house, painted the front door fire engine red, gave the first floor a coat of polyurethane, and laid my first row of bricks for the front facade. I had a problem with the chimney bricks losing their crisp corners and then decided - oh I don't know- maybe I should read the label??? Sure enough it advises that when the bricks are in place BEFORE you grout you should apply a coat of polyurethane or some other such sealer. Kinda think that would help a lot towards helping the bricks keep their shape. Guess it pays to read...well better late than not at all.:yes: Hoping that my order from HBS gets here tomorrow, (but probably won't see that till Monday, they've been very slow lately) I'm anxious to get started figuring out the lights.

• Like 1

Isn't laying bricks fun?:p

I ordered the final 3,000 bricks ( I hope) for the front 1st floor wall. repaired the mini power strip that was damaged at the CI show last night and tested the kitchen's backlit cabinets. The diamond cut and frosted ceiling panel for the kitchen's main lighting is almost ready for installation and the main lighting system will be going in soon.

My youngest sister and her 3 month old are staying with us while she looks for work, so my workshop is being converted back into a guest bedroom, but as soon as I get that task done I'll get back to working on the Tudor.

post-587-0-70781200-1305984959_thumb.jpg

I've only laid one pathetic little row and I'm just having toonnnnnnnnnnns of fun. Not! :no: I don't know how you did it with the thousands of bricks you laid. How did you keep your sanity Jeremy? :insane: They slip and slide, put one in and the one next to it just has to move. Sometimes when they dry they fall off because of the brick dust or haze or whatever it is on them. If you try wiping them off before you place them you wind up with lovely red fingers and your clothes covered in brickdust. Whats your secret for for good brick work?:secret:

I've been working so much on the interior of my beacon that i've neglected the exterior quite a bit, so that's what I'm working on this weekend. Quite to my surprise, it's almost finished! :yikes: I'll post pics later in the day after I get what i'm going to get done done! :D I'm hoping to get some of my "magic masonry" done today :)

I've only laid one pathetic little row and I'm just having toonnnnnnnnnnns of fun. Not! :no: I don't know how you did it with the thousands of bricks you laid. How did you keep your sanity Jeremy? :insane: They slip and slide, put one in and the one next to it just has to move. Sometimes when they dry they fall off because of the brick dust or haze or whatever it is on them. If you try wiping them off before you place them you wind up with lovely red fingers and your clothes covered in brickdust. Whats your secret for for good brick work?:secret:

Well, I won't get into the details of my sanity, but the bricks I may be able to help with.

First, are they kiln-fired? I've heard of other clay powder bricks melting when they get wet and would probably produce more dust. I haven't had a problem with excessive amounts of dust with the Houseworks bricks. I'm also using 1/16" x 1/8" wood strips for spacers when I lay each row. If you find bricks sliding up against each other (it happens to me sometimes) I just cut a short piece of the wood strip and put it between the offending brick. It also helps to draw 1" (or closer) guide lines across the surface your covering with bricks to maintain the rows.

Hope this helps.

Well, I won't get into the details of my sanity, but the bricks I may be able to help with.

First, are they kiln-fired? I've heard of other clay powder bricks melting when they get wet and would probably produce more dust. I haven't had a problem with excessive amounts of dust with the Houseworks bricks. I'm also using 1/16" x 1/8" wood strips for spacers when I lay each row. If you find bricks sliding up against each other (it happens to me sometimes) I just cut a short piece of the wood strip and put it between the offending brick. It also helps to draw 1" (or closer) guide lines across the surface your covering with bricks to maintain the rows.

Hope this helps.

Be glad when they get this site straightened out, cause it just lost my last post. So, I'll keep it short. They're not kiln fired unfortunately, they're cast plaster. But I am getting into a kind of grove now laying them, so it's going a little faster. Down to my last bag of bricks and had to order another 6 bags tonight. 2 more for the front and 2 each for the chimneys. That ought to do it.

Judith your bricks look great! I love how you did around the top of the door.

Thanks Kabrina, I'm starting to get the hang of it, but I'm still glad that I don't have much more to do. I don't know how Jeremy does it, I've only done this little bit and I'm already bleary eyed and in need of a "brick break" :blink: . I'm trying to stay focused and do at least one bag every time I sit down, but about half way through each bag I have to come up for air. :snorkel:

Well, got all 3 finished! :) Yay me! And, I even took a few minutes out to wish my husband Happy Anniversary at midnight.

I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. Not hardly any accessories or anything, but I think enough so that it's nice. It was fun scavenging through my stuff to find the things I needed.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow or Saturday.